hiker88

Shopping for an AR rear iron sight

I just picked up an AR upper and I'm looking to make it as light as possible with just iron sights.

I would appreciate recommendations. I'm looking to find the lowest priced, good quality sights without going to UTG's or NCstar (unless you can personally attest to the durability of these brands).

At the moment, I'm looking at a Troy fixed rear like this one: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XTSSIGFRSR0BT00

I would appreciate recommendations.

thanks!

All I can really add is that the Troy rear sight that you have linked is pretty good. I got it myself when I first opted to run an irons-only AR (I wanted a fixed sight)... feels bomb-proof, super easy to zero, and has a nice stream-lined look when on the rifle. I recommend it.

All I can really add is that the Troy rear sight that you have linked is pretty good. I got it myself when I first opted to run an irons-only AR (I wanted a fixed sight)... feels bomb-proof, super easy to zero, and has a nice stream-lined look when on the rifle. I recommend it.

Thanks!

I've got a Troy folding rear on my AR, and it's top notch, you wont be disappointed with that sight one bit!

Midwest makes a fixed sight as well, I dont have any hands-on with it, but MI stuff seems to be pretty high quality

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=234

I've used the Magpul MBUS rear also, but had in irrational fear that the polymer would spontaneously melt, or get destroyed by flying debris or something,

despite all the furniture being polymer, and owning two polymer framed pistols.

Moral of the story?

I'm nuts, and get the Troy sight--it's very nice

If you are looking for a fixed rear sight, check LaRue. Top notch gear that returns to zero if you need to remove it.

Another nice option is the centurion HK Diopter style sights. Very fast to use and low profile.

If you really want light, do not fear the MagPuls. They work and they won't melt. They are pretty sturdy too.

I currently only have Folding rear BUIS with standard fixed front sights on my ARs. I have 2 Troy folding BUIS, 2 Magpul, and 1 GG&G MAD sights. I have been very happy with all of them - full disclosure, I currently have optics on all of my guns, so other than a quick zero check when I hit the range, they usually see very little use.

I did however, recently run iron sights only (GG&G MAD BUIS with a standard fixed front sight) in a rifle instructor's course on a Colt R0933. I did it just to practice and see how I would do. It performed much better than I expected, especially after training and shooting exclusively with an RDS for so long, and I shot high shooter in the class at ranges out to ~200 yards on an unknown distance range. It is a good little sight.

Good Luck!

I did however, recently run iron sights only (GG&G MAD BUIS with a standard fixed front sight) in a rifle instructor's course on a Colt R0933. I did it just to practice and see how I would do. It performed much better than I expected, especially after training and shooting exclusively with an RDS for so long, and I shot high shooter in the class at ranges out to ~200 yards on an unknown distance range. It is a good little sight.

This needs to be practiced a lot more, especially if said firearm will be used in any defensive-type situation.