amagi

Changing from PA to NJ Residency

Hey Everyone,

I currently live in Pennsylvania but I grew up in Union County, NJ.. I attended college in the Philadelphia area and stayed there after I graduated because it was the only place I could get a decent job.

I am waiting for the opportunity to transfer to the New York Office so I can move back to New Jersey. Most of my friends and my family (and my girlfriend) are in the New Jersey / NYC area. It's my main reason for moving back.

Since I am in New Jersey so often, I have been considering changing my residency BACK to NJ. I still have my old FID and the address would be the same (Mom's house). I want to do this so I can transport my firearms when I come and visit. I will still be able to carry in PA (I have a Utah and a Florida CCW) when I am there. The added benefit is I get to shoot in NJ.

Does anyone see any potential problems with my approach? I know New Jersey's transportation and possession laws are absurdly draconian. I want to make sure that this plan will work.

Thanks for any feedback!

IANAL, etc...

I think your plan is fine, but you would have to make the transfer of residency legitimate. If you started officially residing at your parent's house in NJ. You would need your NJDL, auto registrations, bills, file NJ income taxes, and a place in the house that shows you live there like a bed and personal belongings.

You have to think of it this way.... if you ever needed to use a NJ firearm travel exemption as a defense, and one of the stipulations being used is "to and from your residence/dwelling, etc", you would have to feel confident that you can prove that you live at your parents house to the court.

IANAL, etc...

I think your plan is fine, but you would have to make the transfer of residency legitimate. If you started officially residing at your parent's house in NJ. You would need your NJDL, auto registrations, bills, file NJ income taxes, and a place in the house that shows you live there like a bed and personal belongings.

You have to think of it this way.... if you ever needed to use a NJ firearm travel exemption as a defense, and one of the stipulations being used is "to and from your residence/dwelling, etc", you would have to feel confident that you can prove that you live at your parents house to the court.

There is a "Bachelor's Apartment" there for me. My mom is very accommodating. The basement has a kitchen, laundry, living room, shower and a bed (a very comfy one) and a fully stocked kitchen!