BlackOps Badger

Coyote Hunting Question.

Never hunted coyote before, but a friend and I are gonna give it a shot. Question is, after sunset, you're not allowed to use a muzzleloader. If I plan on going out during the day, and being out past sunset can I just take both guns into the woods with me?

Also, if anyone wants to give a newb some tricks of the trade, or some pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. Like what kind of calls are best? How do you set up? Ground blind? Treestand? On the ground? Day time tactics, night time tactics. If you have any knowledge that you would like to pass on, I wanna hear it.

Also, what do you do with coyotes? I wouldn't think you would eat them. Do you keep the furs? Sell them?

Never hunted coyote before, but a friend and I are gonna give it a shot. Question is, after sunset, you're not allowed to use a muzzleloader. If I plan on going out during the day, and being out past sunset can I just take both guns into the woods with me?

Also, if anyone wants to give a newb some tricks of the trade, or some pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. Like what kind of calls are best? How do you set up? Ground blind? Treestand? On the ground? Day time tactics, night time tactics. If you have any knowledge that you would like to pass on, I wanna hear it.

Also, what do you do with coyotes? I wouldn't think you would eat them. Do you keep the furs? Sell them?

The pelts are worth $ properly skinned. Let me see what I can find out. Head shots my man.

You know what, I never asked that question to my friend. I honestly don't know what they do to coyotes. When we hunted deer a few weeks ago, we basically gutted them at the same spot where they dropped. My buddies reason why he left the guts at the same spot was for the "kayots" to eat them. Then he shoot them. It's his own land so I never even questioned him about it.

But personally I don't think I would eat the meat, but I would probably keep the fur.

It's funny how everyone sees them from their stands during deer season, but by day or night they are still wary. They are tough critters to hunt one on one. I tried distress calls last year in N.Y., with my rifle during the day. I will try the same again this year.

As for rifle & shotgun concurrent in N.J., I don't think you can. Per the DIgest:

Rifle permit required in possession when hunting with

muzzleloading rifle, allowed only during the daytime

hunting hours.

http://www.nj.gov/de...ummary12-13.pdf

It's funny how everyone sees them from their stands during deer season, but by day or night they are still wary. They are tough critters to hunt one on one. I tried distress calls last year in N.Y., with my rifle during the day. I will try the same again this year.

Agreed, I did see one last Sat. He was traveling along across the field about 100 yards from me. I put the scope on him for a second and he was gone from view. Through the years I have never seen one standing still, always moving and very wary.

You will 99% not see a coyote in NJ during the day. Best best is a very cold night when there is snow on the ground, and by a stream.

They got you beat every time and always know where you are. You will hear them all around you, but wont see one.

If you go to NY you have a better chance of seeing one during the day...good luck!