Sign in to follow this  
Pontra911

Mauser 98 modification (Synthetic/composite stock)

You can find some models on Midway or Brownell's. Choate has a model for the 98. On the higher-end scale Brown Precision makes some models and McMillan makes different model variations for the 98, but don't expect many of them to be a perfect drop-in fit for your model. Many require some work to fit action/barrel into the stock and properly bed it.

Are looking for a stock for the complete stock rifle, or are you using the 98 action to build a custom rifle?

At a novice level I would say a drop in stock, not enough time with a bolt action to really build a custom rifle. However the thought of swapping out a wood stock for a composite stock really captures my attention and interest. I did a little research and found that there are a select few models that would be compatible with this type of modification. The only concern that I have is the ring type device at the end of the Mausers that lock the barrel down to the end of the stock. Moreso, the importance and necessity of this piece. Not sure what it does (probably an anchor type piece for the barrel) Would it need to be on the composite stock or is there a boss device that bolts onto the new stock it and performs the same function?77452.jpg

Anyone here ever heard of third party companies that manufacture composite stocks for an M-98, and or have one? I think it would be something neat to do if you have a Mauser with a body in poor shape or just as a special project. Thoughts?

I would advise against using a M98 or 98k for sporterizing unless it is a total hunk of junk or missing lots of pieces.The demand is high and supply is short. I have seen many nice destroyed rifles cut around where the handguard starts and had the bayo lug cut off.The cross bolt will hold it steady unless the wood is cracked.

I would advise against using a M98 or 98k for sporterizing unless it is a total hunk of junk or missing lots of pieces.The demand is high and supply is short. I have seen many nice destroyed rifles cut around where the handguard starts and had the bayo lug cut off.The cross bolt will hold it steady unless the wood is cracked.

This..THAT SAID... Sarco usually has Bare Actions, or barreled actions in the $100 range, and a Re-barrel is pretty simple. Bell and Carlson make VERY nice stocks for the 98 Mauser action in several different barrel profiles