pjd832

fsc 556?

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6

The Flash Suppressing Compensator (FSC) series of muzzle devices from PWS provides superior compensation characteristics combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight. Designed for both competitive and tactical use, the FSC series allows for superior muzzle stabilization and aids the shooter in faster follow up shots and accuracy.

The unique port design of the FSC series yields muzzle control that meets or exceeds the performance of the best muzzle brakes on the market without the teeth rattling overpressure indicative of other brakes and compensators.

The FSC Series muzzle devices are the only compensators on the market backed by a money back guarantee. If you buy one, install it, shoot it and are not amazed by the performance, send it back and we will happily refund your purchase price.

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces. See the BATFE document here.

sounds as if its primarily a comp...with a sprinkle of "enough flash suppression".. and even though the last paragraph seems like its good to go...i know it probably means nothing to nj...

so whats the consensus on this one?...seems like every device i see that looks good refers to them as a compensator/brake and then mentions "helps supress flash" and some sites call it a flash supressor....its just crazy that your choices are so limited and you cant really have an effective comp because it mentions reducing flash...not like its an actuall flashkill/silencer....hating nj more and more...

Depends whether you want to have a lawyer fight your battles. A police officer is most likely going to stick his pinky down the end of the muzzle device. If it fits inside, he will think it's a flash hider. If not, he will think it's a comp/muzzle brake. That particular muzzle brake has a letter from the ATF stating it is NOT a flash hider (look on their web site) that is a relic from the old AWB days. So if you like the FSC 556, have a copy of that letter handy in your range bag. I don't think any of the other new flash hiding comps (i.e. battlecomp, etc) have one since only retarded states like ours still effectively have an AWB. Is my mentality somewhat paranoid? Yes. But considering the attitudes in this state, I prefer to avoid problems rather than solve them by throwing lawyers and money at them. YMMV

thanks lunker....and i dont think youre paranoid at all...its just the inane laws of useless points vaugely worded that has people (law abiding citizens) confused into paranoia of having the wrong shaped muzzle device and becoming a felon....none of which actually effectively reduce crime..lol

i was just reading through that associated atf letter..and wondering if that would really stand up...nipping it in the bud with the police...or if it would actually still become a court issue...although i have never "been compliance checked" in any interactions ive had with police with guns in my vehicle.....and didnt want it to be an issue if i were to be proned out and pinky checked...hahaha

Anything you do in this state with regards to guns can get you sent in front of a judge. It all depends on your comfort level. Since this has the ATF letter from when they tested these devices I think you would be safer then ones that don't have the letter. My first AR in this state had this break installed because of that letter, now I get the muzzle device I like as long as it states it is a break. Will it matter to the police officer who pulls you over? Only if he knows the law. just my opinion.

Will that ATF letter make this questions moot if someone decides to break your chops? Depends on who's doing the bustin'. Could be a someone that just doesn't have enough firearms knowledge, could be a someone who thinks he knows everything there is to know about firearms law in NJ... LEOs or not, they're people too, and they'll run the same range any anyone you meet on the street.

All that being said... I have a FSC556 on my AR. I carry a copy of the ATF letter in the bag with it and carry on.

Thanks guys I'm thinking on giving it a go... Jimmy and mandm... Is it as good as the video on their sight shows?...looks magical in the video... I'm a realist ...but it looks like it shoots like a bb gun in the video... One handed and all lol

I have the pws tto on my carbine which is the fsc without the flag hider prongs. Its one of the most effective compact comps available and an excellent option for nj compliant rifles.

Don't put too much stock in the pinky test thing; its more internet-ism than official field test.

I have the pws tto on my carbine which is the fsc without the flag hider prongs. Its one of the most effective compact comps available and an excellent option for nj compliant rifles.

Don't put too much stock in the pinky test thing; its more internet-ism than official field test.

I have had a few conversations on gun related compliance questions with two local police officers (Highlands and Middletown). They don't know the details of the law the way many folks here do (i explained to one that pump shotguns can have multiple evil features and he was doubtful). If they are not sure about something, they confer with colleagues, and ultimately make a judgement call and let the courts settle the details. If a muzzle brake looks like a flash hider (with the "fingers" and open end) and its web site description touts its flash hiding properties (should the officer decide to listen to your pleading and look up the model), is it reasonable for them to accept your explanation that runs contrary to their limited experience? I would love to say yes. but my conservative nature says that maybe I will just look for a different model. One of these days I will have to ask them how they would distinguish between a flash hider and a comp. I wouldn't be surprised if the open end vs closed end was the answer (aka pinky test).

The pinky test isn't even reliable when you merely want to separate comps from FH's solely based on technical requirement; Why would one even remotely want to apply that to something that has serious legal weight? True that closing off the end of the device forces more gas through the vents, but that doesn't necessarily eliminate its FH capability.

I propose: If one wants a comp, buy a comp, not a FH, not a combo unit. The manufacturers tell you which is which so its easy to disseminate. For those items that sit in the land of ambiguity, why bang your head over it? There are a myriad of legit and effective comps for the AR15 and many times there also exists a pure comp variant of a combo unit so there's no point in dwelling in the grey area.

The OP was asking specifically about the FSC556 to which they make the TTO comp only variant. Easy peasy.

I propose: If one wants a comp, buy a comp, not a FH, not a combo unit. The manufacturers tell you which is which so its easy to disseminate. For those items that sit in the land of ambiguity, why bang your head over it? There are a myriad of legit and effective comps for the AR15 and many times there also exists a pure comp variant of a combo unit so there's no point in dwelling in the grey area.

The OP was asking specifically about the FSC556 to which they make the TTO comp only variant. Easy peasy.

While I agree with you that since I can't have an effective flash suppressor, I'd rather have an effective comp rather than a compromise that might or might not get me in trouble. Sometimes the substitution jsut doesn't work. The FSC556, I believe, is long enough to make a 14.5 meet the 16inch length if you permanently attach, the TTO doesn't.

It's not magical... but I like mine. .223/5.56 recoil isn't that bad to begin, and with the comp does improve it a bit.

Some people say it's loud, but I don't know if it's that much louder than any of the other NJ legal muzzle devices out there. (I do think the loudness is a result of where the gasses are being directed, that being said... I make a habit of not standing on the business end of my rifle, so I wouldn't know if it's any louder on that side. LoL.)

Thanks guys I'm thinking on giving it a go... Jimmy and mandm... Is it as good as the video on their sight shows?...looks magical in the video... I'm a realist ...but it looks like it shoots like a bb gun in the video... One handed and all lol

I don't really notice a difference in follow up shots between the breaks I have. The FSC is loud as stated to the people on your flanks. My favorite break is the Ops Inc mdl. 12 as this seems to be the quietest.