Sign in to follow this  
woodentoe

rifled choke tube

So, if I attatch iron sights like this to the vent rib of my stock 870, I can with confidence shoot slugs out of it? It won't damage or screw up the barrel? This is my understanding but I want to be sure.

Improved Cyl tube you'll be fine and shoot the best. You don't have a 20ga 870 as well do you? Because I have a spare 20ga rifled barrel.

Improved Cyl tube you'll be fine and shoot the best. You don't have a 20ga 870 as well do you? Because I have a spare 20ga rifled barrel.

hope that its 20 gauge i have a 20 gauge mossberg rifled barrel and took a button buck tonight @ like 75 yards 1 shot drop no recoil but shot was taken with right before 50 and was shocked by the muzzle blast throw the scope

fwiw i picked up the combo from cabelas for like 100 with barrel rings and scope just have to shoot it to make sure it on and your comfortable with it i missed a nice 8 pointer last year with it when i took it to the range the next morning it was off about a 18" even though i had it zerod still dont knoiw what happened. so this year i took it out everyweek for a month before shotgun deer to make sure everything was cool

goodluck

This solution will work, just ensure it doesn't mount the scope too high, necessitating you to life your face off the comb to get a good view.

(Years ago, an offset side-mount would be a scope base tapped into the top left-side of the Remington receiver (more metal for the base to anchor to.) Special rings mounted the scope low over the receiver. Two thumb-screws removed the base & scope if you needed to use the iron sights.) It was a solid and reliable setup.

Scopes are subjected to a LOT of recoil on a slug gun. Make sure the mounts and rings are top quality.

thats what's on my 1100. still works great.

2012-12-12_21-28-55_638.jpg

2012-12-12_21-29-54_64.jpg

2012-12-12_21-30-31_454.jpg

(I have an early 11-87. It came with a smoothbore slug barrel and cantilever scope mounts. It came equipped with an IC choke tube and a rifled choke tube.) Remington dropped this slug barrel configuration some time ago and now only offers the rifled version in the cantilever design.)

I have the same gun purchased around 1990. I killed a lot of deer using the smooth bore rifled choke setup and BRI sabot slugs, some kills were out to 100 yards.

I have since upgraded the gun to a fully rifled barrel and use Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs. Still dropping deer at 100+ yards.

I have the same gun purchased around 1990. I killed a lot of deer using the smooth bore rifled choke setup and BRI sabot slugs, some kills were out to 100 yards.

I have since upgraded the gun to a fully rifled barrel and use Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs. Still dropping deer at 100+ yards.

I've removed the cantilever on mine and will be mounting the rings on the forward portion on the barrel, "scout" style. I want to try an EER scope, something like a 1x4 variable if I can find it.

Stick with buckshot, and keep your shots to 50yds and closer. No need to get caught up in an equipment race.

Used ethically, buckshot is effective. But I've butchered many deer to find fat-encased 00's in hindquarters and necks from previous encounters with hunters. Small testament to what deer can absorb in certain conditions and keep going when shots are poor. Some people like to toss errant shots at deer and that's not good. There's a reason why buckshot is banned in most counties of PA and in all zones in NY for big game. Its effectiveness is limited. NJ pine-hunters love buckshot, but most shots are close in those thick woods. Buckshot has no purpose in the big hardwoods or the beanfields. JMHO

Slugs offer a bit more. There is little to dispute when comparing their lethality over buckshot.

L-R4282grs-4178grs-439grs.jpg

Definitely a lot to consider. I'm confident I will never intentionally take an unethical shot. As far as gear war, $40 for a set of vent rib rifle sights, $20 for an improved cylinder choke, and $7 for a box of Remington sluggers doesn't sound too far down the rabbit hole...provided that is an effective simple setup.

Definitely a lot to consider. I'm confident I will never intentionally take an unethical shot. As far as gear war, $40 for a set of vent rib rifle sights, $20 for an improved cylinder choke, and $7 for a box of Remington sluggers doesn't sound too far down the rabbit hole...provided that is an effective simple setup.

You should do fine with that setup. If you shop around post-season, you'll find those Sluggers for a lot less.

(The two deformed slugs in the picture were fired from an IC-choked slug gun many years ago, and recovered in my postmortem necropsy.)

You should do fine with that setup. If you shop around post-season, you'll find those Sluggers for a lot less.

(The two deformed slugs in the picture were fired from an IC-choked slug gun many years ago, and recovered in my postmortem necropsy.)

Again. Not to continue smacking the dead horse...you say slug gun. Is my stock 870 a "slug gun" when I put slugs in it? Don't want to shoot slugs through my smooth vent rib barrel if it will mess it up.

Again. Not to continue smacking the dead horse...you say slug gun. Is my stock 870 a "slug gun" when I put slugs in it? Don't want to shoot slugs through my smooth vent rib barrel if it will mess it up.

It's legal as a hunting arm in NJ with slugs provided it has a scope or rifle sights attached. You will not mess up the smoothbore barrel. Slugs are soft and can pass through any choke of a shotgun. That unfired slug to the right in my picture mikes at .682 OD. (.682 ID is considered an extra-full constriction in most shotgun circles when measuring choke.)

Cylinder bore of a 12 ga. is .729 ID. Full choke is usually .690 ID, and that's the ID a Full RemChoke will usually mike at. At a measurement of .682, those flutes on the slug's side will swage down and easily pass through a normal full choke with no problem. (.008 is not going to offer much resistance.) However, it has been documented that more open-choked barrels provide the best accuracy with Foster-style slugs as they impart the least deformation after firing and transition through the muzzle.

Just to give you ideas of chokes and how every manufacturer is different and some configurations can surprise you:

My smoothbore Deerslayer's muzzle mikes at .700. That's .029 smaller than what is considered cylinder bore. A .700 ID would be considered an Improved Modified choke in most circles, yet it will cloverleaf Rem. Sluggers at 25 yds. My smoothbore Buck Special's muzzle mikes at .730. That would be considered cylinder bore. It is accurate with Brenneke's, Remington Sluggers, and Winchester slugs. But it throws Federal 1 1/4 oz. slugs all over the paper at 50 yds.

You do have to test and shoot as many brands and weights to see what is best in the shotgun you've chosen. It seems like a laborious process, but you learn things along the way.

There are no dead horses to flog here. Forums are about learning and sharing of information.

Are ghost ring sights technically rifle sights?

I'm thinking of picking up the remington scope mount...

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0000V2QTC

Parker said yes already, my recollection is that the regulation says that rifle sights must be adjustable for windage and elevation - that's the standard so, technically if you have these you are legal FYI.

TRU•BEAD™ TURKEY UNIVERSAL SERIES

SKU# TG950X TRU•BEAD™ TURKEY UNIVERSAL SERIES

• The industry’s most popular fiber optic turkey sight series.
  • Universal mounting system for ventilated rib shotguns.
  • Full windage and elevation adjustment.
  • CNC-machined.
  • Hardware included.
  • Front diameter is .060”; rear diameter is .035”.
  • Endorsed by the National Wild Turkey Federation.
  • Patent pending.