Sign in to follow this  
MicroMag

Want to try IDPA- Which gun?

IDPA looks like a lot of fun, and easy to get into. What I'm not sure about, is which gun is most suitable. Here is what I have:

S&W M&P22: No .22 division in IDPA right?

Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm: I think this one would be a good choice, except it's the older Israeli manufactured version, for which it's downright impossible to find mags. I only have 2 on hand and as I understand it, IDPA requires at least 3?

RIA 1911 22TCM: Comes with a 9mm barrel which I would use instead of the TCM. I think I'd be most accurate with this gun, but apparently using a 1911 puts me in the "enhanced" division- would I be totally outclassed for someone who's new to competition shooting?

Ruger GP100: I'm fairly terrible with the double action trigger.

Also, as far as holsters go, what do people around here generally use? The advice I find online usually says to use what you CCW with, but obviously that doesn't apply here in NJ...

Depending upon weight, the Baby Eagle may put you in ESP also - but since you don't have three mags that point is moot. The RIA with the 9 mm barrel is your best bet. The "enhanced" in the ESP is basically because of the single action of the 1911 platform. Don't be intimidated. You'll meet some of the nicest people shooting IDPA.

Holster has to cover the trigger guard and have no drop or offset. Must be worn on a belt that goes through the loops of your pants. AndyB on here may have a relatively inexpensive Blade-Tech Revolution holster for sale that would be just fine. You may want to PM him.

Now as to where. There is a low light/no light match this Sunday at Somerset - but it is sold out. Somerset shoots the third Sunday of the month. Phillipsburg shoots the second Saturday of the month and that may be your best bet.

Start practicing with that revolver - we could use a few wheelgunners. If you have any other questions, post em up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here is a great site to keep you informed as to upcoming matches.

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

Choose one of your centerfire guns, have 3 mags, a holster and a double mag pouch. Just show up and shoot. For your first few shoots don't worry about your division just have fun. Look at what other people are using and ask them about their choices. Gun people are very happy to show their gear and share their opinions (we can be very opinionated). You don't need fancy holsters or mag pouches, and you shouldn't care about your times for your first few shoots. Learn how to shoot the matches and focus on safety. Learn about the gear others have used and ask what they didn't like, this will give you a little insight.

I shoot in all 5 divisions, I'm classified in 4. I like different holsters for my different guns so I don't have the "Holster X is the absolute BEST!" attitude. I like leather for my revolver, Zero Concealment Systems for my 1911, an IWB for my S&W 5906.

Good Luck and Have Fun

mags to fit your babay eagle would be the same as jericho 9mm.

Their are plenty of them out their, one review shows a failure to feed with the steel baby eagle.. i would call midway or even or brownells for a recomendation. The last .41 calibre mags i purchased were from mossberg they were importing the baby eagle at the time, the 9mm 40 and 41 mags were all the same mag..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111614/promag-magazine-cz-75-tz75-magnum-research-baby-eagle-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-blue?cm_vc=subv1498578#ReviewHeader

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will go with the RIA, just need to order a couple mags and get them pinned (gun only has 17 round mags). I think I might be able to make it to an event in February depending on how busy work is. Will keep practicing until then!

OK so now that this whole CT mess happened, I don't have a chance of getting more magazines anytime soon. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just go with the GP100, have some fun with a favorite gun of mine and do something different from everyone else.

So from my research... the Safariland Comp series seems to be the standard for speedloaders. Comp2 or Comp3? And how many should I get?

OK so now that this whole CT mess happened, I don't have a chance of getting more magazines anytime soon. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just go with the GP100, have some fun with a favorite gun of mine and do something different from everyone else.

So from my research... the Safariland Comp series seems to be the standard for speedloaders. Comp2 or Comp3? And how many should I get?

I don't think that pistol mags are that hard to find. Does the RIA take the regular 1911 9 mm mags? Saw two Wilsons for sale on Sig Forum this AM and Midway carries them regularly. Greg Cote LLC is good source for mags for the Baby Eagle.

Comp 3's have a larger "handle" but any of the comp series loaders will work. You will need three minimum and four makes life a whole lot easier. Check out the rule book for the approved configurartion of the speedloader holders. You can carry three on your belt (the fourth I recommended is to make it easy to load the gun when you come to the line). If you load weak-handed, then all three would go on your belt on the weak side. If you load strong-handed, then two can go in front of the holster (must be within an inch) and one behind.

Phillipsburg is this coming Saturday (1/12) and is a walk-on (no pre-reg required). Usually 8 stages. Bring about 150 rounds to be safe. There will be at least two other revolver shooters there - probably three, so you won't be alone. Probably a good idea to throw a flashlight in your rangebag, too.

Somerset is the following Sunday (1/20), but was sold out some time ago - there is a wait list if you want to get on it. This shoot usually sells out three weeks in advance, since it is wholly indoors and weather isn't a factor. P-burg is indoors and out and I understand they go even if you have to shovel paths to the targets on the outdoor stages - fortunately have not encountered that first hand.

Feel free to post-up here or PM me any questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The RIA takes double stack 17 round mags which need to be pinned to be NJ legal... I'd like to use that gun so I'll work on finding them but maybe I can get started with the revolver and shoot both eventually.

I travel a lot for work so February looks like the earliest I can make a competition- probably the Somerset one.

I travel a lot for work so February looks like the earliest I can make a competition- probably the Somerset one.

Then you want to make sure and register on 1/21 or close to it. Register here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

Here are the popular guns used around here for IDPA:

Glock 34/35

M&P Pro

Glock 17

Glock 19

M&P 9mm

Springfield XDM

CZ 75B

Your normal home defense or carry gun

I understand the advice about shooting what you have and it is a very good idea to attend and see what everyone is using BUT if none of your current guns are suitable to make you at least feel competitive, you may get discouraged and quit. I see that happen all the time. It is a rare shooter who shows up regularly to be beaten by almost everyone else match after match. As to your choice of using a gun that you admittedly say you are terrible with, you will quickly find out if you are competitive or not. I am competitive so I do not compete with my snub nose or pocket nine that I carry. I use an M&P Pro with 5" barrel and a Comp-tac paddle holster and mag carrier for easy on/off during the match as I rather not carry the gun while waiting for my turn. As far as shooting sports go, if they keep score and/or rank you, it is a competitive event and I will use anything that gives me a competitive advantage. I do not need to win or even place near the top. I do however need to know that it is my lack of skill rather than equipment holding me back.

Follow the excellent advice given by the other posters and shoot a match or two and then decide if you even like the stress of competition, IDPA in particular, and would enjoy not being competitive due to you equipment. If I were you I would take a look at Steel Matches because they do have a .22 division and it is a lot of fun. I also have an M&P22. Another fun sport is bowling pin shooting but I do not remember anyplace in NJ hosting that. Popular down here though and a lot of fun. Basically I prefer the sports that use reactive targets without a lot of things to remember for each stage. :) If nothing else, shooting in matches will give you increased skills, especially in quickly clearing jams, shooting faster than most do at the range and using cover.

Follow the excellent advice given by the other posters and shoot a match or two and then decide if you even like the stress of competition, IDPA in particular, and would enjoy not being competitive due to you equipment.

Exactly what I plan on doing. I used to be a highly competitive/nationally ranked fencer so I know all about the stress of competing. I retired partially due to burnout and now I kind of like the idea of just showing up and having fun without being too intense.

Although who knows, if I get bit by that competition bug again I may end up getting another gun just for IDPA!