Secret Squirrel

PTR-91

My brother has one. Fret not about the polymer lower/trigger group. It's a metal frame shrouded in polymer. They're excellent quality guns. The front handguard/barrel shroud is an absolutely massive piece of metal. Gun shoots very well. Recoil is pretty much minimal. Only issue is in typical HK fashion, it mangles spent brass. Can't reload.

Met a fellow today at CR with a PTR-91 and he raved about it. I quite liked and for price (which I hear has gone up like everything else) it seems to be quite a good deal. His only complaint was it's bit of **** to clean.

I never found mine hard to clean. I loved that it ate steel cased ammo with no problems. On the other hand, the rifle's fluted chamber dents the casemouth and leaves a weird pattern in the brass that made me question its reloadability.

I never found mine hard to clean. I loved that it ate steel cased ammo with no problems. On the other hand, the rifle's fluted chamber dents the casemouth and leaves a weird pattern in the brass that made me question its reloadability.

See my post. No chance of reloadability. According to my brother at least...who reloads extensively. The internals are HK btw. The bolt and carrier have "HK" on them.

EDIT: Just saw Rob's post. Guess they can be reloaded. Just a matter of how long the brass lasts and do you want to take the risk.

Yeah I've been reading the HK pro website and was considering getting this hand guard for mine. Says it will fit. I want to give it that classic G3 look. Says it will fit but I am a little nervous to order it.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-93-33-G3K-Wide-Forend-Black-8p470.htm

Yeah I've been reading the HK pro website and was considering getting this hand guard for mine. Says it will fit. I want to give it that classic G3 look. Says it will fit but I am a little nervous to order it.

http://www.hkparts.n...Black-8p470.htm

No love for the machine aluminum? :)

The one in the link looks interesting. The other ones I have seen feel like thick, stiff rubber. I wasn't impressed.

See my post. No chance of reloadability. According to my brother at least...who reloads extensively. The internals are HK btw. The bolt and carrier have "HK" on them.

EDIT: Just saw Rob's post. Guess they can be reloaded. Just a matter of how long the brass lasts and do you want to take the risk.

The cases as stated above are def reloadable, ive reloaded many fired from my PTR, the problem with the HK 308s is FINDING the brass after you shot it. Mine shot well, ironically i just traded it last week for a rcbs CM1500, a vortex rangefinder and $600 cash. :)

It shot well but i didnt give her the workout it deserved, i bought it in 03' and put less than 1k through it.

It ate everything, brown bear, silver bear, wolf, pof, indian, radway, federal, american eagle, remington I even ran some federal fusion through it LOL.

All the brass has been reloaded for my FR8, and shoots perfectly.

http://www.hkparts.n...Black-8p470.htm

It is half the price here http://www.robertrtg.com/pofg3blackwide.html

The cases as stated above are def reloadable, ive reloaded many fired from my PTR, the problem with the HK 308s is FINDING the brass after you shot it. Mine shot well, ironically i just traded it last week for a rcbs CM1500, a vortex rangefinder and $600 cash. :)

It shot well but i didnt give her the workout it deserved, i bought it in 03' and put less than 1k through it.

It ate everything, brown bear, silver bear, wolf, pof, indian, radway, federal, american eagle, remington I even ran some federal fusion through it LOL.

All the brass has been reloaded for my FR8, and shoots perfectly.

Now with everything going on it's one I wish i owned. I'd love to have rounded out the collection with one. However, you're right. I honestly don't enjoy shooting my brother's. It has very strange ergo's. I always feel like I'm cheeked way up on the rifle.

My comments are limited to my FNAR which I have experience. My SCAR17s puts a good scratch in the case neck and I haven't had problems there either.

However, I don't have any experience with cases coming out of this PTR-91 nor have I seen any. Your brother may well be correct regarding the reloadability of brass in a PTR91.

I've had a NJ compliant model for several years, the serial number is around 1000. I added surplus wood for an older look.

168_zpsf87fa26c.jpg

I have only good things to say about the rifle, although the trigger is a bit stiff. Also using blocked mags stinks.

TC

where can I find one , NJ legal model, on the cheap or best price> Thanks

Also if anyone sees the 7.62x39mm model I would be interested.

This is a 10 pound rifle for an intermediate caliber like 7.62x39. Considering people shoot 5lb AKs without complaining about recoil, it seems like overkill. The PTR91 in 308 is a hell of a gun.

I've had a NJ compliant model for several years, the serial number is around 1000. I added surplus wood for an older look.

168_zpsf87fa26c.jpg

I have only good things to say about the rifle, although the trigger is a bit stiff. Also using blocked mags stinks.

TC

This. I can't even describe it's beauty. I wanted a PTR-91 for a while, but couldn't afford the ammo... or the gun.

I actually have that wood stock sitting around. I bought it for an airsoft project I never got around to. But I'd slap that wood on in a heartbeat if I had a PTR.

I'm thinking about selling mine. It's about 2 years old, 500 rounds through it at the most. I also had a trigger job done and it improved it greatly. I need to see what they are going for before I make a decision. I also have probably 500 rounds of American eagle ammo to go with it.

I'm thinking about selling mine. It's about 2 years old, 500 rounds through it at the most. I also had a trigger job done and it improved it greatly. I need to see what they are going for before I make a decision. I also have probably 500 rounds of American eagle ammo to go with it.

Interested. If you decide to sell please shoot me pm with asking price.