Caine

School shooting in CT

Notice that most mass shooters nowadays are young.

Something is going wrong in the upbringing of children these days.

Everyone wants to blame parenting. Perhaps we have just wound up the stress to the point more of them break. Lets see, you don't go to college, you hake like $8 an hour and the basic 2BR apartment, a spouse or equivalent and a kid type of setup requires a hell of a lot more than that. Yo do go to college, and you have $60k of debt that you can't escape and make maybe $20/hr if you are lucky. With your debt payments, you aren't living much differently than the kid who didn't go to college. For either of them, they are one moderate car repair, moving violation, doctors visit with a throat culture and a script away from finances breaking down unless your roommates or parents are willing to cover you.

Situations like that are what make the 50 plus male say I've had enough of this and punch their own ticket. At 20 something you aren't feeling old, and I could see anger being more attractive to a greater percentage than despair.

Why will this one be different than the last umpteen school shootings?

No different other than the timing....We have been experiencing just about a highly publicized shooting every couple of months and this case involving younger kids will be the focus of the gun control people. I know if in their shoes I would milk this for all it's worth. Now consider how the NRA can even put a spin on this incident in our favor? Teachers with guns?,armed guards at the doors? to defend against more guns?.....see my point?

Because you have an administration who would love to pass more gun control... they just needed a justification for doing so. Here's their justification. SO now, it's not like they'd be "going after guns", it's like they are "saving children"... see how politics works?

There were a whole mess of them under clinton.

Why will this one be different than the last umpteen school shootings?

Because we have an administration and President on record MANY times calling for AWB, gun registration, etc. But I see your point as well.

BTW, I believe the AWB was in 1995 and Columbine was in 1999? Is that correct?

Situations like that are what make the 50 plus male say I've had enough of this and punch their own ticket. At 20 something you aren't feeling old, and I could see anger being more attractive to a greater percentage than despair.

Punching your own ticket is one thing. This on the other hand is just SICK.

I just got finished watching a clip on Fox news and I have to give it to Mark Furman. He kept emphasizing that it is misguided people to blame for these incidents and NOT the guns. Probably will do little to nothing for the cause in the grand scheme of things, but still nice to hear on television.

What I do not understand is why they always target the innocent! If you want to take yourself out and include others why not go to the worst parts and find drug dealers and murders and do it there? Wait, I think I have the answer..... They may have guns already and CAN shoot back!

I just got finished watching a clip on Fox news and I have to give it to Mark Furman. He kept emphasizing that it is misguided people to blame for these incidents and NOT the guns. Probably will do little to nothing for the cause in the grand scheme of things, but still nice to hear on television.

+1. As he said, 19 men with box cutters did a lot of horrible damage 11 years ago.

What I do not understand is why they always target the innocent! If you want to take yourself out and include others why not go to the worst parts and find drug dealers and murders and do it there? Wait, I think I have the answer..... They may have guns already and CAN shoot back!

See? Maybe these people aren't actually crazy- they are just evil. Seriously.

A big reason they target the innocent is that in addition to being sick and evil, they are cowards--and they know it. In the same way, those terrorists who blow themselves up in a train, or who shoot up a night club, whatever other horrible and shameful things they are, are first last and always cowards.

Too soon to have a motive disclosed for this maniac, but I reject anyone linking it to economic situation of the shooter, or any resultant "stress" he may have been experiencing. We had the Greatest Generation come up hard through the Great Depression, win the 2nd World War and then help usher in the most prosperous era in our history. Their hardships didn't create monsters on this level; they overcame and triumphed as a group.

I'm sitting in my breakroom at work and everyone wants my opinion on it.

Tell them what I have been sayingnow for two, almost three years.

The mental heatlh system is broken and un-funded. If we had better mental health care in this country instead of cutting funding at every turn on a whim we could bettre deal with these people before hand.

They found the body of a dead woman in the house he lived. They think it's his mother.

Now they're saying his mother was a teacher at the school and that she was found dead at the school

ETA: handguns were supposedly a glock and a sig

<div class="float_left"> </div>

<p><a href="https://twitter.com/CNN/status/279666440385220608" target="_hplink">CNN has identified</a> the alleged gunman at <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting_n_2300831.html" target="_hplink">Sandy Hook Elementary School</a> in Newtown, Conn. as Ryan Lanza.</p>

<p>A quick search of Facebook shows <a href="https://www.facebook.com/rlanza" target="_hplink">what appears to be Lanza's page</a>. At this time, The Huffington Post cannot confirm the authenticity of Lanza's page, though the details on it fit the apparent profile of the alleged shooter.</p>

<p>It shows Lanza as a resident of Hoboken, N.J., with a hometown of Newtown, Conn. He appears to be student or have some connection to Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn., as he is a member of Quinnipiac's Facebook network.</p>

From what the news is saying now, it seems that he had some sort of problem with his parents and that was his "reasoning." The people blaming upbringing are partially right. A lot of people these days don't know how to deal with things. All their lives they have everything handed to them on a silver platter, then one day something goes wrong and they fly off the handle. But another big part of it is mental health. Despite what we just saw on the news, there are millions of people out there that DON'T go on shooting sprees every single day. But there are those out there ailing and in need, and our society does nothing but set up an undercurrent of stigmatization for those with mental problems. I'm betting that if this guy had at least someone to vent to, he would've maybe thought everything over and not gone through with it. I'm not talking just political reform; the media, the news, people in general... We all need to change. It's a dark place to be in, and it will keep happening until we make that conscious effort.

Too soon to have a motive disclosed for this maniac, but I reject anyone linking it to economic situation of the shooter, or any resultant "stress" he may have been experiencing. We had the Greatest Generation come up hard through the Great Depression, win the 2nd World War and then help usher in the most prosperous era in our history. Their hardships didn't create monsters on this level; they overcame and triumphed as a group.

What makes you think mass murders didn't exist 60, 70, 100 years ago? They certainly did. They weren't as proficient at killing and more often than not there were many more injuries than deaths but the attempts were made. You do bring up an interesting point regarding WWII. I wonder how many of these shooters have had military experience. I wonder if having prior experience makes one more or less likely to take this sort of action. Possibly less because you've "seen enough", who knows.

CNBC just came up with a good point

Due to oversensationalism by the media, People who are unstable are seeing these things happen in the news and start thinking "hey - I should do this myself"

This is a psychological certainty. The phenomenon has been studied and born out by many researchers. Media coverage of these types of events is a very, very bad thing. Similar to when a high profile person commits suicide, suicide rates spike up for a time.