Sign in to follow this  
CRD

New Rifle Suggestions

I am looking for a new rifle to add to my small but growing collection. I currently have an LWRC SPR, an FN FS2000 and a KRISS Vector Carbine. I was thinking about an AK - maybe the Century Arms 39 Sporter. Was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions on some quality, interesting rifles that I should consider. Was also wondering if anyone had any experience/thoughts on the Century 39. Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to get a grasp on how important milled vs. stamped is in terms of accuracy and tolerances. I am assuming the Polish AK is stamped, right?

It's a high end ak. Not sure but I believe it's milled. Stamped would be cheaper. Has an actual bolt hold open and is supposed to be very accurate.

With milled parts you can generally achieve a greater tolerance, which attributes to better accuracy. Stamped parts generally use softer metals so they can be molded. Stamping is a much quicker process, and may use lesser then adequate material that may wear faster. Stamping is just a means to make smaller less important parts cheaper to make. You also have MIM parts which is injection molding. Some say that with the correct heat treatment of parts you should have little problems with any of them, but the preferred method today is milled parts.

As far as I know there is general opinion to keep away from Century items - have some bad reputation.

If you want 5.45x39 - the best IMO available choice Waffen Werks AK-74. Saiga or Wepr are good too, if you can find one. Rumor has it, there gonna be SGL-31 (best choice IMO) back on market in Jan.

For 7.62x39 SGL-21 believed to be best available on the market and k-var has few in stock. Also Zastava M70 PAP has good reputation. Saiga or Wepr are good too, if you can find one.

For 5.56x45 only Beryl (great rifle IMO) currently available, I believe Royal Tiger Imports has best deal right now. Saiga or Wepr are good too, if you can find one.

Right now not that many options out there - AKs getting off the shelfs like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to get a grasp on how important milled vs. stamped is in terms of accuracy and tolerances. I am assuming the Polish AK is stamped, right?

I wouldn't worry about milled vs. stamped receiver. Practically there is no real difference besides extra weight.

Milled receivers more expensive, obviously.

As far as I know all military rifles made in last 50 years have stamped receivers.

I believe milled receivers were used only in original AK-47 starting in 1947 to be replaced by AKM with stamped receivers in 1959.

There are a few CIA's that I would suggest looking into which would be the RPK and Polish Milled. Both have a much higher build quality than other CIA rifles.

With that said, WASR's and other Century builds aren't as bad as everyone says they are. But I will say that for anything other than the Polish and RPK, you want to handle them before buying them so you can look out for any issues. Most of those issues are not prevalent with my previous stated models.

For what it's worth... I have really come to enjoy my Zastava Pap 7.62x39. Mine has a composite thumbhole stock and I have added a utg quad rail in order to place a red dot on it. Once I dialed it in on the led sled it has been surprisingly accurate. (At 100yds). It really has become my favorite choice for range time. I know people complain about the single stack plastic mags, but i havent had any issues with them. Just my two cents. Enjoy whatever choice you go with!

There is Yugo Zastava M70 PAP Gen 2 with regular magazines and regular stock.

But from all I know there is nothing available as of today. It will pass, maybe even prices come down after 'storm'.