RecessedFilter

Shotgun Shootout! January 6th at Clinton WMA

Damn Nick, thanks so much for taking those pics...you got some REALLY nice shots of everyone! One of them has three shells in mid-air being ejected out of Ray's shotgun, really cool.

Dude, you gotta help me out sometime. I have a T2i and I've had it for a while now and I'm still such a noob...maybe you can teach me a little DSLR 101.

so.....how bad did RayRay get whooped by BlueLine?

any thoughts on the KSG? got sum $$$ waiting on it!

I put probably 50 shells through his KSG, Nick posted a few pictures of me posing with it haha. I think we all did that, pretending it's ours :p I was really excited to shoot it as not many people have them and their has been a lot of talk about it.

It was a bit complicated at first (probably because BlueLine wasn't near me to show me the ins and outs until I started trying to load a tube). It's not a regular pump where the slide release is here, safety is either here or there, you load it up and your ready to shoot. There's a lot going on. I didn't have a clue where the hell the slide release was, and after a few of us were touching this button or that button, we finally figured it out. It was right on the trigger guard kind of like one of those modified magazine eject buttons you can put on an AK if you're familiar with those things. Loading it took a few tries...there's that selector to choose which tube is being fed and you have to turn the KSG completely over to feed the shells in. It takes time and isn't as easy as feeding 6 straight down the tube of a regular pump. I kept on forgetting to pump a shell into the chamber because I'd load the tube and think I was ready to shoot. The safety is accessed by your thumb and is on the pistol grip, there is a "S" on the left side and red "F" on the right side..IMO, the only straightforward function was the safety. Recoil is apparent, it's a very 'hollow' kick if that makes sense. It's not that bad with birdshot but after those 40-50 shells I put through it, you definitely feel it. It's all plastic and doesn't seem to have much recoil reducing characteristics about it. Slug and buckshot recoil must be a little rough.

So reading the above paragraph over, it sounds like I speak negatively about the KSG but I didn't mean to. I think one has to realize that it has a lot of things going on with it (2 tubes, selector, slide release, unfamiliar bullpup design, etc) and that it's obvious you must practice a lot with it before becoming efficient with it. Someone that's shooting it for the first time and figuring out everything on their own as they go along has to realize that. Some people call it a novelty gun, one that you take out and shoot every once in a while "just for fun" or whatever...I only shot it for a small amount of time and could see myself shooting it more if I owned one. We were hitting clays with it so it's not just a "throwing buckshot down range" shotgun, you could have some fun with clays but it being cyl bore, you need to take the shot quickly as the shot spreads out quickly.

In terms of price, I know before this panic situation they were going for about a grand on gunbroker. Right now they are double. If you were looking into it, I'd shoot it before buying it. The unique design and 14 shell capacity is unlike anything else out there, and with that there is definitely a 'cool' factor that goes along with it. Personally, I think $1,000 is a lot of money for it and if the panic situation wasn't going on, the price probably could have been in the $800's by spring. If you could get it for somewhere in that range, I'd hop on it but I wouldn't go paying anything more than $1000 or so for it..but that's just my opinion. If money isn't an issue for you, hell, pay 2 grand for it, why not? Haha.

Is it a little difficult to get the hang of it at first? Definitely.

Will it take practice/training and a good amount of shells to be able to work everything decently smooth? Definitely, and I think a ton more shells to be able to shoot it as smoothly as some of us can load/shoot our regular pumps.

Is it super fun to shoot and a bad ass shotgun? Definitely.

I put probably 50 shells through his KSG, Nick posted a few pictures of me posing with it haha. I think we all did that, pretending it's ours :p I was really excited to shoot it as not many people have them and their has been a lot of talk about it.

It was a bit complicated at first (probably because BlueLine wasn't near me to show me the ins and outs until I started trying to load a tube). It's not a regular pump where the slide release is here, safety is either here or there, you load it up and your ready to shoot. There's a lot going on. I didn't have a clue where the hell the slide release was, and after a few of us were touching this button or that button, we finally figured it out. It was right on the trigger guard kind of like one of those modified magazine eject buttons you can put on an AK if you're familiar with those things. Loading it took a few tries...there's that selector to choose which tube is being fed and you have to turn the KSG completely over to feed the shells in. It takes time and isn't as easy as feeding 6 straight down the tube of a regular pump. I kept on forgetting to pump a shell into the chamber because I'd load the tube and think I was ready to shoot. The safety is accessed by your thumb and is on the pistol grip, there is a "S" on the left side and red "F" on the right side..IMO, the only straightforward function was the safety. Recoil is apparent, it's a very 'hollow' kick if that makes sense. It's not that bad with birdshot but after those 40-50 shells I put through it, you definitely feel it. It's all plastic and doesn't seem to have much recoil reducing characteristics about it. Slug and buckshot recoil must be a little rough.

So reading the above paragraph over, it sounds like I speak negatively about the KSG but I didn't mean to. I think one has to realize that it has a lot of things going on with it (2 tubes, selector, slide release, unfamiliar bullpup design, etc) and that it's obvious you must practice a lot with it before becoming efficient with it. Someone that's shooting it for the first time and figuring out everything on their own as they go along has to realize that. Some people call it a novelty gun, one that you take out and shoot every once in a while "just for fun" or whatever...I only shot it for a small amount of time and could see myself shooting it more if I owned one. We were hitting clays with it so it's not just a "throwing buckshot down range" shotgun, you could have some fun with clays but it being cyl bore, you need to take the shot quickly as the shot spreads out quickly.

In terms of price, I know before this panic situation they were going for about a grand on gunbroker. Right now they are double. If you were looking into it, I'd shoot it before buying it. The unique design and 14 shell capacity is unlike anything else out there, and with that there is definitely a 'cool' factor that goes along with it. Personally, I think $1,000 is a lot of money for it and if the panic situation wasn't going on, the price probably could have been in the $800's by spring. If you could get it for somewhere in that range, I'd hop on it but I wouldn't go paying anything more than $1000 or so for it..but that's just my opinion. If money isn't an issue for you, hell, pay 2 grand for it, why not? Haha.

Is it a little difficult to get the hang of it at first? Definitely.

Will it take practice/training and a good amount of shells to be able to work everything decently smooth? Definitely, and I think a ton more shells to be able to shoot it as smoothly as some of us can load/shoot our regular pumps.

Is it super fun to shoot and a bad ass shotgun? Definitely.

Nice lil write up on the KSG...I too was fortunate enough to try it out, and for me I'm glad I did because ever since I saw them I wanted one but after using it I'm sorta on the fence at the moment. Like you said there is a lot going on, thankfully BlueLine was there to give me the quick run down lol. After the first shot, my initial though was "knuckle buster." Not sure if it was the way I was holding it or whatever, but with each shot came a nice hit to my left hand first knuckle on the end of the pump...After only 8 shots, today its a lil swollen and bruised, I couldn't even imagine 50 lmao.

I personally liked how the KSG shoot. The only problem was that I couldn't hit any clays with it. Maybe because I was trying to use the riffle-like tactical sights mounted on the top rail.

With the round capacity that it has It would make a great home defender.

If the prices were more realistic I would pick one up in a heartbeat

I like the KSG. Enough to buy it at current market price? Heck no, but it's a solid shotgun. I was able to nail a few clays with it at closer ranges. It's got an 18.5" barrel (cyl bore) so it's tough to hit at range.

The operation of the shotgun is a little unwieldy at first. I made sure to familiarize myself with it as much as possible. The safety was a no-brainer and the pump-lock button was pretty easy to get once you were familiar. Loading wasn't the easiest - you really had to push shells fairly hard into the tubes - the lock button that holds them in was pretty stiff. Also - you can't really "breech load" the KSG like you can with other shotguns.... Or at least, I couldn't figure it out in the short amount of time I had with it.

The front finger-banging on the slide was due to the Magpul AFG that BLF put on it. It has that front lip that tends to bang against your front-most finger from the recoil. I asked him about putting on a vertical grip instead of the AFG - he said that Keltec was having issues with people breaking the bottom rail because people would tend to torque the VFG sideways a little when shooting/racking.

The rifle sights were actually 2 magpul front flip sights that he put on there - wasn't the best solution but something to give it some quick sights. A reflex sight would work better.

A couple of other things - it's very easy to short stroke, as it's a VERY short gun. Most people are used to a much longer length of pull and longer action. Also - the shells eject from the bottom section where you load - it's kind of unwieldy - I had the spent shotshells hit my sleeve a few times and it was a bit distracting. Something to get used to but I was watching someone try it and the spent shell actually went back into the gun I think - BLF was able to clear it but it made for a weird "is it loaded?" issue...

The reason your index finger kept getting hammered on that KSG is because of the Magpul angled foregrip that was installed on it. Your finger kept slamming into the front lip/stopper of the grip. Removing it would solve that problem. Also, it was tough to be acurate because it had two front sights installed.

Ok the AFG is already off. Put on a real short vertical grip. Should help the knuckle smash effect. The magpul sights were on there because I had none and needed something on there. Every time I try to order a primary arms red dot with a high mount they are out. The optic will be on there next time.

Ok the AFG is already off. Put on a real short vertical grip. Should help the knuckle smash effect. The magpul sights were on there because I had none and needed something on there. Every time I try to order a primary arms red dot with a high mount they are out. The optic will be on there next time.

in stock now

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44664-primary-arms-gen-2-red-dot/page__fromsearch__1

I found the KSG's stock way to short for me. I couldn't line up the front and rear (front) sight posts. Also, the bone on my left thumb (im lefty) was smacked everytime I pulled the trigger from the polymer above the pistol grip. I guess I'll stick with the Mossbergs.

I found the KSG's stock way to short for me. I couldn't line up the front and rear (front) sight posts. Also, the bone on my left thumb (im lefty) was smacked everytime I pulled the trigger from the polymer above the pistol grip. I guess I'll stick with the Mossbergs.

You should get one of those sweet m4s. i didn't see that jam all day...

You should get one of those sweet m4s. i didn't see that jam all day...

You liked my 930 more, you can be honest

Except for when chicks hold it like drez

I had one double feed, that was it. I blew through 200 rounds through it and others used maybe 25 more. That's not bad considering I had 300 or so through it previously without cleaning it. Mostly birdshot.