Sign in to follow this  
DBCooper

Bayonet lugs - AK74

Looking to buy a 74 parts kit from a friend out of state. The 74 bayonet lugs also serve to hold the cleaning rod in place, a feature I would like to keep if possible. In order to make it compliant, is it possible to have him grind off the side lugs off the bayonet posts (see red arrows below) and keep the center portion?

thanks!

bayo.jpg

lugs.jpg

We grind the ears down so its just a tab.

Yes they do, just like that:

akblug.jpg

But you will have hard time removing the rod with welded MB.

I recommend getting another one to use for cleaning.

BTW, I'm interested in AK-74 cleaning rod and cleaning kit.

You can carefully run a file over the welded muzzle brake. A flat section on the bottom wont be noticeable but will allow the cleaning rod to be removed.

It's a good idea.

But I will spend $10-$12 next time I'm buying something I need and get extra cleaning rod to keep at home for cleaning.

One on the rifle will stay there for looks and just in case - it's still possible to get it out, just takes some effort.

Yes, you have to cut off the front sight base, press off the gas block, buy a new gas block and press that on, buy a new front sight base and press that on, and use a lower handguard that has a hole for a cleaning rod. While you are in there you may as well add a "real" (non bolt on) handguard retainer.

Its easier to just buy a rifle with it already done, or build the rifle from scratch if you are on a building kick and absolutely must tinker

I wouldnt use the cleaning rod on the rifle for cleaning anyways, its short and made of a really hard steel which is no good.

I wouldn't worry about hard steel of the rod for original barrel, but could be a good point for domestic barrels.

Length of the rod is sufficient once you attach brush, patch tool or other attachment from cleaning kit.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By SleepingInABag
      Hi all, new member here looking to offload some steel cased Tula. $1200 for 3,000 rounds total in original unopened packaging; three 1000rd cases of 20rd boxes. ($0.40/rd)
      I am in central NJ and willing to deliver within 30 miles if someone buys the lot. Otherwise will meet up if anyone wants a single case.
      Buyers must be legally able to purchase rifle ammunition in NJ.  Minimum age of 18 confirmed by DL or other government ID.
      Will send pictures with timestamp upon request.
      First to post "I'll take it" wins the sale.
    • By EKS22
      Excellent condition arsenal SLR 95   ***Milled AK****    $2000  with everything pictured       
      Opened to trades for bren 2, marlin 1895 SBL, FN ps90, DSA FAL, M1A ebr, tavor 7, Century PSL, s&w 686 4" or 6" 
      trades are not necessarily even trades. if you have something to offer on trade, we can discuss details.

made in bulgaria.  

comes with original thumbhole stock and the installed desert Fox buffer tube adapter and pinned magpul ctr stock.  It is currently pinned  using the aim sports magpul stock lock pin so the pin can be reversed. 

ALG AK trigger installed

Comes with original dust cover and Texas weapon system gen 3 pic rail dust cover installed.  Original polymer handguard and a khyber cheese grater is installed.  Also has a tango down grip.  Will come with 1 10rd P-mag.  

all numbers matching, all original parts. Put 50 rounds through to check fuction.  

im having trouble posting all the pics...heres a link to more pics.   https://imgur.com/a/lUEnreZ

feel free to text me any questions. i work late so you can text up to 1am   three four seven, four ten, thirty two zero one
      located in bergen county. Can meet at my FFL or yours, just dont make me drive anywhere near AC...it wont end well for me
      Obviously must have valid FID and matching DL.  Please be kosher.
      I have lurked around on this forum, but am active on the NJGUNS subreddit, same username,  Also have +110 flair on reddit GAFS

First to post "ill take it" gets it

• By Jonny B Goods
      Has anyone wondered if there will ever be a AK platform (other firearm variants) similar to what radical firearms, dark storm,  & tech ops has as their AR platform? I think it’s about time to introduce the idea of having more firearms that are non NFA firearms. Maybe this post might inspire a company with a new idea. And hopefully it could also get NJ state approval. Or am I just dreaming and it can’t be done? I have seen some AK’s that can detach the lower receiver from a upper similar to the AR platform. 

• By leo-польд
      Hi,

It looks like C39v2 and RAS AK is only available to buy in NJ these days, do you know any store or dealer having something better than this? Ideally I am looking for Arsenal or even N-PAP etc.

Thanks!