MarkWVU02

Legally armed security guard thwarts attempt at mass shooting

SHE was an off duty Sheriff's Deputy.

Just sayin'

Yup. You are correct. SHE is a Sherriff's Deputy. I've been schooled. Does the fact that the Deupty is female detract from my point that it is hard to use this event to make an argument for civilian CCW? The rebuttal is, "Of course she has a gun. She's a highly trained law enforcement officer. We can't let just any Tom, Dick or Harriet walk around with a gun. That would be madness."

Yup. You are correct. SHE is a Sherriff's Deputy. I've been schooled. Does the fact that the Deupty is female detract from my point that it is hard to use this event to make an argument for civilian CCW? The rebuttal is, "Of course she has a gun. She's a highly trained law enforcement officer. We can't let just any Tom, Dick or Harriet walk around with a gun. That would be madness."

First: This thread is worthless without pictures.

Second, I think it does strengthen the argument.. as long as you frame the argument correctly. An armed, and trained citizenry is one of the best ways to keep an incident like this from happening, or to protect other civilians when it does. The argument cannot be ARM Everyone.. as if we're handing out weapons with no training.

The turnaround to someone saying "of course she should have a gun, she's highly trained" is that we support armed, and trained civilians and that said training is VERY important.

Not a matter of being "schooled" (Jesus Christ, what is this a Dance Off?). I just wanted Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano to get the recognition that is due her.

If the news media made an inaccurate statement like that everyone would be up in arms about it.

And it is important that a woman did this. Women are making up more and more of the population of gun owners and CCW permit holders. When any woman does good work while armed it should be noted. Maybe some woman on the fence thinking "I could never do that" changes her mind and decides to become a firearm owner and start training for the day when she may be tested in a similar manner as Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano.

Not a matter of being "schooled" (Jesus Christ, what is this a Dance Off?). I just wanted Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano to get the recognition that is due her.

If the news media made an inaccurate statement like that everyone would be up in arms about it.

And it is important that a woman did this. Women are making up more and more of the population of gun owners and CCW permit holders. When any woman does good work while armed it should be noted. Maybe some woman on the fence thinking "I could never do that" changes her mind and decides to become a firearm owner and start training for the day when she may be tested in a similar manner as Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano.

All fantastic points.

And, Sharks vs. Jets. We're gonna rumble.

I think a big notion we need to dispel is that average LEOs have superhuman firearms training and skills. Unless an LEO is part of a special ops unit, it would not be difficult at all for an average civilian to train themsleves to a much higher level. I used to shoot with a lot of cops, and for a couple of them the safest place to stand on the range would have been behind the silhouette. Most were pretty good shots. None were on the level of competition shooters.

I'm not knocking cops. To many I have spoken with, shooting isn't fun, it is a job responsibility. They do what they need to in order to stay qualified and that is it. I used to shoot a ton more than a lot of them.

Handyman that is 100% correct.

Most Cops are not gun people. They do not practice and don't like to shoot. Many won't carry off duty simply because that means an extra round of qualifications (if they want to carry a gun other than the one issued).

I know many civilian shooters with skills that are orders of magnitude better than a lot of LEOs. I also know some pretty switched on Cops that get it. Most of them can shoot like a raped ape, giving comp shooters a run for their money shooting in duty gear, from a triple retention holster, with stock duty guns and shooting full power ammo.

Agreed. I know both sides. I know guys that dread quals because they always fail multiple times. I also know guys that shoot perfect every time. Again...as I learned the hard way shooting equals if far easier than competition. I got humbled very quickly