Gunrunner26

What happened to NJ AR owners in 1994

Ok, so what did owners of Assualt wapons, who lived in NJ when the Clinton Ban took place, do when NJ did not recognize the grandfather aspect of the law?? Was there a buy-back? Did they just turn them in and say goodby, could they give them to somone in another state. So what happened?? At the time I only had bolt action rifles and several shot guns. Times are different now, with an AR type on hand? So what happened..

Sold mine out of state.

Ok, so what did owners of Assualt wapons, who lived in NJ when the Clinton Ban took place, do when NJ did not recognize the grandfather aspect of the law?? Was there a buy-back? Did they just turn them in and say goodby, could they give them to somone in another state. So what happened?? At the time I only had bolt action rifles and several shot guns. Times are different now, with an AR type on hand? So what happened..

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Sold mine out of state.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Sold mine out of state.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Were you given notice that by a certian date you had to get rid of it? Did they actually come looking for guns. Did you need to produce a receipt of sale??

Ok still a little puzzled?? Let's say a ban on Assualt wepons comes to pass and there is a grandfather clause and NJ doesn't honor that provision, like happned in 1994. Did anyone out ther encounter that situation, and if so wht did you do?? Hid your guns for 10 years? Sell them turn them in what?? And did you have notice (time) in which to take action, like next month if you have an AR in NJ you go to jail, so you have 30 days to get rid of it?? Anony have answers??

NJ's AWB went into effect in 1991 (or 1990, I forget exactly), before the federal ban. The majority of the now illegal guns were stored (at vacation homes or at friends houses) or sold, out of state. A fair amount of people hid them in their houses, which is why you hear stories about them surfacing from time to time (you've seen the posts on here, " my dad bought this xxxxx back in 1985 can I take it to the range" or "how do I transfer this xxxxx to me"). I can't really recall anyone turning them in to the police, although it must have happened somewhere. There was no "buyback", only you woke up one morning and were now committing the NJ equivalent of a felony.

NJ initiated their AWB in 1990 and did not grandfather any firearms. You had to register them or get rid of them. In 1994, the Federal Government initiated their AWB in 1994 which did grandfather all firearms. That ban expired in 2004.

NJ initiated their AWB in 1990 and did not grandfather any firearms. You had to register them or get rid of them. In 1994, the Federal Government initiated their AWB in 1994 which did grandfather all firearms. That ban expired in 2004.

If you registered them, were you allowed to use them at the range? I guess you would. Wonder how many people registered them.

Not too sure what the op is asking. When the 1994 federal AW ban went into effect NJ didn't "not recognize" the grandfathering aspect of the law. Because NJ already had a similar ban I don't think the law had much of an effect at all in NJ other than changing mag capacity on NEW mags from 15 to 10.

The only effect I actually noticed from the 94 law was that manufacturers were making ban compliant firearms that were also NJ legal because they happened to also conform to NJ's AW ban.

If you registered them, were you allowed to use them at the range? I guess you would. Wonder how many people registered them.

You could ask to register them all you wanted. Getting into the registry was about as easy as getting a carry permit from what I understand.

Thanks folks I think I have it. I mistakenly kept saying 1994, when in fact NJ banned them in 1990 before the Feds did in 1994. So If I have this correct, when NJ banned the AR's they were banned no exception you either got rid of it, or in some cases could register it, but there was no grandfathering of the guns even though the Feds did when they banned them in 94. So now that NJ has no 'current ban" it (NJ) could either a. grandfather if the feds do, or B. say no way get rid of it. So basically all those who currently own one in NJ just kind of have to sit and wait? Bummer, just bought a $1600 DPMS. Looks like money down the drain - possibly!! Merry Christmas! Hope we all get through this somehow.

Thanks folks I think I have it. I mistakenly kept saying 1994, when in fact NJ banned them in 1990 before the Feds did in 1994. So If I have this correct, when NJ banned the AR's they were banned no exception you either got rid of it, or in some cases could register it, but there was no grandfathering of the guns even though the Feds did when they banned them in 94. So now that NJ has no 'current ban" it (NJ) could either a. grandfather if the feds do, or B. say no way get rid of it. So basically all those who currently own one in NJ just kind of have to sit and wait? Bummer, just bought a $1600 DPMS. Looks like money down the drain - possibly!! Merry Christmas! Hope we all get through this somehow.

AFAIK, The AWB that NJ had in 1990 is the same one still in effect today.

Guess we will see what happens. Luckliy I have a sister that lives in a state where just about anything goes. Guess she may possibly be holding a few guns for me in the future............She not only has her FID, she also has her CCW. She can't believe I can't get one here.

FFLs, correct me if I'm wrong...

What makes this time different is, last time NJ did not know what long guns you had. SINCE the 91 NJ ban, all long guns do have background checks and paperwork filed with the state, so are effectively "registered"? So If you have one of the evil guns this time, they'll know it.

Not saying they'll come and get it, but they will know you own it. Do I have that right?

You should know this.... :)

Fed fomr 4473 shows the type of firearm up to five

NJ nics gets told long gun or handgun...not make and model..that's it...

Yes, I should...Just got back into firearms a few months ago, still playing catch-up. Thanks. :)

SO- NJ know how many guns I have, and whether they are a handgun or long gun? And the feds know the actual models? (which means in NJ wants that info, it's a phone call away)...

My point being, since NICS and the NJ AWB started, ALL firearms purchased since then are effectively "registered", even tho we don't have actual registration. (?)

No......

NJ knows what HG you have cause they get forms

NJ knows that you nics'd out on a HG or LG ....

Feds only know what you have if they check the ffl bound book

Or request 4473 from your ffl....or ffl's

All forms are he'll at place of business...

If you try to take mire than five at once atf is notified but if you have five LG on the form

Its one nics check NJ nics doesn't know qty...its on the 4473

OK, so- if for ANY reason the state or feds decide to "find out what guns you have", they can. Granted, you'd have to be under suspicion of something for that kind of legwork to happen, but the info IS available. My point being, too much legwork for any kind of future proposed confiscation of banned weapons... and I'm not talking about what's going on now with the new AWB, I mean ANYTIME in the future.

NJ"s AWB went into effect in 1992..by the time the Clinton ban was passed we had already BEEN under the ban. Nj HAD NO GRANDFATHER Clause, if you had not registered or disposed f your gun as of the set date in the law you were in possession of an "Illegal AW".

But NJ never revoked it's AW ban. The guns NJ residents can buy legally today meet those guidelines. What the Feds put in place back in 1994 was still less restrictive then what NJ put in place in 1990 and still has in place today. If the Feds resinstate their AWB as it was in 1994 I don't see how anything would change for NJ residents short of everyone having to get rid of their 15 round magazines, should 10 rounds become the new "safe" amount. The AW's available to us are stripped of many of the "deadly" features that make them AW's(like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors) and in fact are not considered AW's under NJ law.

In short, NJ screwed us in '90. The Feds screwed us a little more in '94 but then stopped screwing us in '04 but NJ has never stopped. So regardless of what the Feds do it's unlikely that they'll screw us harder then NJ has already been.

Maybe I'm way off base buts how I understand it.

its an interesting thought. Most NJ guns are already compliant to the proposed new ban.

What's in the proposed ban?

“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets. So there will be a bill. We’ve been working on it now for a year,” Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” during a discussion about guns following Friday’s deadly mass shooting as a Connecticut school.

I don't understand this. It sounds awfully confusing. (Feinstein may not understand it since she probably didn't write the law she's proposing.) As I read this, it could mean pretty much anything.

BTW, I don't think the AR was nearly as popular or as socially acceptable in 1990 as it is now. I also recall (I'm getting old) that the first Bushmaster model was a hybrid of AR and AK technology so it wouldn't infringe on Colt's patents. Once the patents expired, the floodgates opened and AR prices dropped.

I had some NJ compliant 13 round magazines before, during and after the 1994 AWB. I don't remember being worried about it. Or any more worried than usual about guns in this Second Amendment Hellhole. Does anyone remember why NJ picked 15 rounds?

But NJ never revoked it's AW ban. The guns NJ residents can buy legally today meet those guidelines. What the Feds put in place back in 1994 was still less restrictive then what NJ put in place in 1990 and still has in place today. If the Feds resinstate their AWB as it was in 1994 I don't see how anything would change for NJ residents short of everyone having to get rid of their 15 round magazines, should 10 rounds become the new "safe" amount. The AW's available to us are stripped of many of the "deadly" features that make them AW's(like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors) and in fact are not considered AW's under NJ law.

In short, NJ screwed us in '90. The Feds screwed us a little more in '94 but then stopped screwing us in '04 but NJ has never stopped. So regardless of what the Feds do it's unlikely that they'll screw us harder then NJ has already been.

Maybe I'm way off base buts how I understand it.

Mags larger than 10 rounds were also grandfathered in the 1994 Fed AWB, so if it were to be reinstated (which in my opinion is a stretch) any mags you own between 11 and 15 rounds would be grandfathered, assuming that's how they will write this new law.

Just what exactly is an assault rifle?

My sister wants to buy one before they get outlawed. I told her I don't know what the true definition is. She thought any semi auto rifle. I told her that pistol caliber carbines were generally not considered assault rifles. But, I really have no idea..................

I think I talked her into buying a Saiga-12, converted, with pistol grip and adjustable stock, a few 15/20 round drums, and a few cases of buckshot and slugs......

Yeah, she lives in FREE AMERICA!

Ok so here is a question for FFL's if the ban does go to 10 rds - can we just have the mags blocked or pinned to only accept 10 rds? As I understand it it is illegal to modify high cap mags to make them NJ legal now , so I wonder how that would play out or am I dead wrong?

IIRC - We had the NJ rules in 1990'ish. Then the Fed AWB came in and named specifics and that is when the M1 Carbine (and other brands) was specifically called out in NJ's version around 1994.

Just what exactly is an assault rifle?

My sister wants to buy one before they get outlawed. I told her I don't know what the true definition is. She thought any semi auto rifle. I told her that pistol caliber carbines were generally not considered assault rifles. But, I really have no idea..................

I think I talked her into buying a Saiga-12, converted, with pistol grip and adjustable stock, a few 15/20 round drums, and a few cases of buckshot and slugs......

Yeah, she lives in FREE AMERICA!

From a Patriot Post email:

"Rifles such as the AR-15 are not "assault weapons." The Defense Department says, "Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons [i.e., machine guns] that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine-gun and rifle cartridges. Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full automatic fire at ranges up to 300 meters." The AR-15 is a civilian semi-automatic weapon that fires intermediate-powered rounds -- one for each distinct pull of the trigger. Such rifles aren't "high-powered," either. Indeed, they aren't legal for deer hunting in many states because their firepower isn't sufficient to reliably take down a deer."