PDM

Getting a Bolt Action?

With all of the depressing news in the last week I'm thinking I need a new gun to perk me up. I don't need another semi-auto, even if I could find one now whichI can't. So... I'm thinking of a center-fire bolt action, which i don't yet have. Specifically, the Savage scout rifle caught my eye -- available in .308 and 7.62x39. I would mount a Leupold Scout Scope on it and could come in under $1k for the gun, mount, scope and a bipod. I am generally familiar with the difference in these calibers, both in terms of cost, accuracy, range, etc. I don't hunt so don't really need the .308 and this will be mostly for fun at the range, likely nevery beyond 200 yards (and normally at the 100 yard range at Cherry Ridge). I believe that a 7.62x39 could be used for deer hunting in a pinch in any event.

Questions: 1) anyone have this gun and 2) anyone think the 7.62x39 round would not be better than the .308 given my intended use? Still seems to be 7.62 available and the steel cased stuff is pretty cheap. Any thoughts?

I have a Ruger scout rifle in .308 and I couldn't be happier. i think that is similar to the Savage model.

I can usually hit 10,9,8 at 100 yds with the iron sights. Can't see well enough to shoot 200 yds and thinking about getting optics next year.

It is my 2nd favorite gun to shoot (favorite is a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1) and it always comes with me to the range.

Takes about 20 rounds for it get hot enough so that the bolt cannot be closed. Coincidentally this is about the max number of rounds you'll want to shoot in a single outing as it gives your chest quite a beating.

I think .308 might generally be a cleaner ammunition to shoot than 7.62x39 and it is always available at the big box stores if you're in a bind. Sometimes I've had to spend an extra buck per box on the higher quality hunting ammo when the plinking ammo is out of stock, that's my only complaint

That's all I can think of -- can't go wrong with a bolt action in .308