Barms

Bad Stake ? (and i don't mean prime rib..)

Don't bother with the "you get what you pay for".. clearly this would not be called exceptional, but is a tap really adequate?

I will not name the brand yet, some guys on here i have PM'd and know.. i'm just looking to get thoughts is this so bad i should send back immediately. In my google searches on this company i have seen Youtube videos (about 6 months ago) comparing different company's stake jobs and this company was much much better than mine pictured below. I'm afraid quality might be going down in the demand that's going on.

Yes, i know you get what you pay for. But the upside is at least i got me a rifle before the sellouts!

post-5054-0-75878400-1356051608_thumb.jpgpost-5054-0-84210100-1356051610_thumb.jpg

There no need for alignment marks on the gas key.

AR15 DGI gas keys are all similar and it's not a matter if they need or not need staking, it's just that some assemblers/companies think staking of the gas key isn't necessary.

Some BCGs do not need staking at all. Not sure if that is even a staking or just alignment marks?

that BCG is from a brand new Stag Arms model 3.. (without the Plus Package).

i'm undecided if i will inquire with them about the quality.. or just figure out how to stake it myself (which i have no idea.. hammer??)

that BCG is from a brand new Stag Arms model 3.. (without the Plus Package).

i'm undecided if i will inquire with them about the quality.. or just figure out how to stake it myself (which i have no idea.. hammer??)

Mine is definitely staked better than yours. The list above says they are not properly staked ? I dont think I agree with on mine but yours fits the bill. I still dont think it would hurt to at least drop an email to them about it.

Ken

Black8552... yes.. that's what i would have expected.. that looks like others i saw online.. i'm thinking about sending them the pic and seeing if they say send it in.. i'm sure they will.. but who knows how long it will take to get back with all that's going on.. i'm a pretty handy guy, not afraid to attempt it myself.. just dont want to screw up any warranty issues..

what gets fouled up in the rifle if i have a gas key malfunction? are there major damage ramifications?

what gets fouled up in the rifle if i have a gas key malfunction? are there major damage ramifications?

Well if the key comes loose and starts leaking gas you could have issues ranging anywhere from short stroking to not cycling at all (at which time you now have a bolt action rifle, lol)

Some BCGs do not need staking at all. Not sure if that is even a staking or just alignment marks?

Bulls...not EVRY BGC needs the key to be staked. If it isnt staked it WILL Loosen up and leak gas. I have seen subpar staking on gas keys from just about Every manufacturer...INCLUDING Colt.

I'm one for staking the bolts lengthwise, down the centerline of the key instead of the more common side to side approach.

I've seen crappy staking done from that angle as well..staking done from the sides with a proper tool can be done by a chimpanzee, staking lengthwise takes a cold chisel, and skill.

I've seen crappy staking done from that angle as well..staking done from the sides with a proper tool can be done by a chimpanzee, staking lengthwise takes a cold chisel, and skill.

while i agree, at least a poor staking that way you will notice if it has loosened when inspecting your BCG, a poor pinch staking will not be noticeable. My RRA is a pinch staking that looks like the above pic, i dunno if you would even be able to take it apart, My WOA is across the screws. I have no idea which is better, but at least across the screws you will be able to see if the screw is turning if the notches dont line up.