Cemeterys Gun Blob

Loretta Weinberg wants to review NJ Gun Laws

Loretta Weinberg wants to review NJ gun laws, here are her current thoughts on what SHE considers problems;

New Jersey only requires background checks for the purchase of hand guns. Not quite accurate. Gun purchasers are required to have a purchaser ID card or a permit. To get either of these documents, one goes through a background check.

One can purchase a gun through the gun show loophole without a required background check. A purchase can be made at a gun show, but the purchaser cannot go home with the gun that same day. The necessary paperwork and background check must be done at the dealer's place of business before the gun can go home with the purchaser.

We do not require safety training or testing for gun purchasers. This is true. Do I have to draw the analogy that one needs licensing and testing to drive a car, style your hair or be a manicurist? We're exploring closing that huge gap in safety for our residents.

We do not requre a license to possess all firearms. This is partially true. As stated above, we do use ID cards and permits which require background checks.

We do not require ammunition purchaser records nor do we require vendors to be licensed.This is still being investigated by OLS, but we believe it might be true and will be reviewing this.

New Jersey does not ban purchase of large capacity magazines of more than 10 rounds. This is also true. We ban those of more than 15 rounds. We are also reviewing this for further legislation.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting the impression that she wants to require firearms training, reducing magazine limits, and possibly increasing licensing fee's for gun shops........

Next year could be alot of fun right here in the Garden State!!!

http://www.bluejersey.com/diary/22224/musings-about-this-last-week

I have to say that although magazine capacity restrictions are misguided and ineffective, I will say that I would stand by mandatory training just like what is required when you get your driver's license. There are too many bone heads running around who either don't know the laws, or don't know proper and safe firearms handling. And I could use the excuse to go to more classes, myself.

The only problem I see is the administration taking training to the point where otherwise qualified firearms owners may be disqualified for stupid technicalities or other dirty tricks.

-Erik

I don't think Christie will sign any of this. His stance is "enforce what we have on the books". A breakdown of statistics on who is using weapons in crimes and such in NJ should make a good op ed aimed at her stupidity. Although I doubt it will sink in that it's criminals doing most of the shootings so they are already ignoring a ton of laws and won't pay mind to any new ones.

I have to say that although magazine capacity restrictions are misguided and ineffective, I will say that I would stand by mandatory training just like what is required when you get your driver's license. There are too many bone heads running around who either don't know the laws, or don't know proper and safe firearms handling. And I could use the excuse to go to more classes, myself.

The only problem I see is the administration taking training to the point where otherwise qualified firearms owners may be disqualified for stupid technicalities or other dirty tricks.

-Erik

The problem here is one is a right and the other is a privlage. As I do believe some people let alone all firearm owners should have some sort of training. Do we really need the Big Gov telling me I need to before I exercise a right. That should be on the gun owner to be responsible.

If you look at Christie's career, he's always been in favor of gun laws. I think if it made it to his desk right now he'll sign it to avoid the fallout he'd receive in NJ after the CT shooting, which is a very liberal state for the most part. The only reason he wouldn't is because if he plans to run for president next term, he'll not want to piss off the NRA too much.

I will say that I would stand by mandatory training

I believe that there should be mandatory 1st amendment training before people can spout nonsense in public. Every thought you have and who you can speak it to and share it with must meet approval from the government before you are allowed to share it.

-Erik

When the state comes to respect the 2nd amendment "and bear" portion without playing legal games, we will talk about training.

Lets get "shall issue" on carry (bear) and we will get to discussing the training program requirements comparable to what some

sane states have done.

On a lighter note, imagine you have to carry your car, dismantled, locked in separate boxes, take it directly to the track (without deviation), assemble it there, and only then you can drive it on track. Now, you want to add 'training' requirements to drive 'that' car. See the logic ?

e.lectronick, on 24 December 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

I will say that I would stand by mandatory training

I believe that there should be mandatory 1st amendment training before people can spout nonsense in public. Every thought you have and who you can speak it to and share it with must meet approval from the government before you are allowed to share it.

+1. Agree with this.

If you look at Christie's career, he's always been in favor of gun laws. I think if it made it to his desk right now he'll sign it to avoid the fallout he'd receive in NJ after the CT shooting, which is a very liberal state for the most part. The only reason he wouldn't is because if he plans to run for president next term, he'll not want to piss off the NRA too much.
especially since he was up romneys ass

Firearm safety should be taught in schools same as sex-ed, libs can cry and whine about it but they already made all the arguments we need, if it saves just one life it is worth it! Right? If they get their panties in a twist then maybe they can understand how those on the left feel about them undermining our values on the right.

As for new gun laws in NJ, Christie isn't that stupid, he can't win reelection if he pisses us off end of story. They better start focusing on the fact that at a minimum their carry laws are going to get smacked down in the next 12-18 months, as long as the current SCOTUS majority stays healthy at least, and start preparing for the impending reality that he current laws will need to be rewritten.

While I feel gun owners should pursue training pertinent to whatever aspect of firearms they persue and optimally in as many as they can, I am against mandatory training. Why? Simple, people that seek training will absorb and benefit from it. Someone forced to does not. I think that basic firearms safety ala the eddie eagle program should be taught at schools. This should be given equal time with the dare programs. Why? Simple, some kids have parents that are anti gun. As such its likely that the only exposre to firearms for these kids is from movies, tv and video games. Not the best place for them to get info and form an opinion. Seriously how many gun accidents could we prevent from simple education? Seems like common sense to teach them at young age about safety. Just like not drinkin bleach or sticking objects into electric sockets.

-Erik

You need a drivers license to DRIVE A CAR ON PUBLIC ROADS. You don't need a drivers license to BUY A CAR. In fact, you could have no training at all or the worst driving record ever seen, and you can still own a car, it only becomes illegal when you operate it on public roads.

I can see an argument to be made to require training to carry a firearm in public, but to require training to simply own a firearm is just another way to discourage the "proliferation" of guns.

That's exactly why you don't want these laws. Requiring a gun safety test for owning a gun is no different than a literacy test for voting.

Firearm safety should be taught in schools same as sex-ed, libs can cry and whine about it but they already made all the arguments we need, if it saves just one life it is worth it! Right? If they get their panties in a twist then maybe they can understand how those on the left feel about them undermining our values on the right.

As for new gun laws in NJ, Christie isn't that stupid, he can't win reelection if he pisses us off end of story. They better start focusing on the fact that at a minimum their carry laws are going to get smacked down in the next 12-18 months, as long as the current SCOTUS majority stays healthy at least, and start preparing for the impending reality that he current laws will need to be rewritten.

Politicians in this state have been winning elections without the "gun lobby" in this state for decades. Are you telling me you'd vote for someone like Weinburg just to spite Christie if she decided to run for Governor? In this state, it'll be the choice between bad and worse.

Politicians in this state have been winning elections without the "gun lobby" in this state for decades. Are you telling me you'd vote for someone like Weinburg just to spite Christie if she decided to run for Governor? In this state, it'll be the choice between bad and worse.

No but I will sit on my hands or vote third party next election if Christie signs any additional restrictions like redefining hi-caps as anything over 10 rounds or redefining an AW as a semi-auto with one evil feature i.e. California law, etc. Republicans in this state take gun owners for granted because we have no other option but they still can't hope to win if they outright piss us off and we stay home.

No but I will sit on my hands or vote third party next election if Christie signs any additional restrictions like redefining hi-caps as anything over 10 rounds or redefining an AW as a semi-auto with one evil feature i.e. California law, etc. Republicans in this state take gun owners for granted because we have no other option but they still can't hope to win if they outright piss us off and we stay home.

This.

We could only be so lucky as to have CA's laws. Imagine being able to walk into a gun shop, pick out a gun, pass a NICS, and come back after the waiting period and pick it up. Instead of this FID/P2P bs system.

10 round mag limits, one evil feature assault weapon ban, 10 day waiting period on the purchase of all firearms, no .50 caliber weapons, Handgun Safety Certificate required every five years to purchase new handguns and let’s not forget the California Department of Justice roster of handguns certified for sale, where the state gets to tell you what you are allowed and not allowed to purchase. For as many pistols as I buy, I'll stick with NJ and their stupid-ass purchase permit system until it changes before I move to CA and be forced to deal with all that BS.

10 round mag limits, one evil feature assault weapon ban, 10 day waiting period on the purchase of all firearms, no .50 caliber weapons, Handgun Safety Certificate required every five years to purchase new handguns and let’s not forget the California Department of Justice roster of handguns certified for sale, where the state gets to tell you what you are allowed and not allowed to purchase. For as many pistols as I buy, I'll stick with NJ and their stupid-ass purchase permit system until it changes before I move to CA and be forced to deal with all that BS.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Kali is not better then NJ, they both suck bad, but at least I can buy a lot more things here. And, if SCOTUS bitchslaps the non carry states, NJ will clearly be better.

Isn't it just like liberal politicians to seize a tragedy to promote their wish list of arbitrary gun control measures? Seems like since a couple of Fridays ago, they've all been out there pitching their agendas, without feeling any need for reason or rationality.