deleteme

Crown Victoria interceptor

Check your local newspaper. Some towns auction off there old vehicles and you can get a good price. We outfit emergency vehicles at my shop and sometimes we hear about used crown Vic's but right now I'm not aware of any local to us but if something comes up I'll let you know. What is you budget for one?

Why not?

Because Police vehicles are usually beat to death, for their first few years they are run 24/7/365, Lots of hours on the engines generally high mileage, and only sold off when they are on their last legs,and very few have not been involved in one or more collisions over their lifetimes.

Well I've been schooled lol!

I was under the impression these things were beasts, with an awesome engine and suspension.

Welp time to find another heavy duty-ish vehicle. Anyone selling a jeep? :)

They are......but you cant run a vehicle as long and as hard as CVPI's get worked and not have a downside...I know any cars that My dept sells at auction are Junk..if a car has ANY life left in it, it is stripped of Lights and equipment, and turned over to other Town departments...where they are run till they die. if you have your heart set on a CVPI, Find yourself an agency that issues personal Cars, and buy one of those, they arent as beat on as pool cars.

Yeah you can find a nice P71 if you look around at auction, especially out of state. You definitely want a detective or a take home car. Check the transmission operation if you can test drive it. Brakes will probably need work as in rebuilding calipers, etc. Those engines are tough, if they idle and rev fine you are probably golden. $3-4k will buy a lot

great cars, although I prefer grand marquis.

BTW, I like big boats.

great thread

My wife had an MGM -- which my daughter inherited as her first car, and pretty much put the finishing touches on it. It had 180k plus on it at that point. Despite my usual OC maintenance, it used a lot of oil, and regularly fouled a back spark plug that was not easy to get at. We eventually gave it away, and had some trouble doing that.

Anyway, my point is that I'm 6'2" and I found the MGM/CV driving position cramped. Like everyone, I'm annoyed by Prius drivers who plant themselves in the left hand lane doing 5MPH under the speed limit -- and I suppose that IS one way to get them to move over. But the other 99% of the time, I'd be annoyed by the car's 1970s ergonomics.

I LOVE my Grand Marquis! I gifted my last one to my son, and it's now got over 125K. I bought a new one ('06) when I gifted my '03 to my son when he was in HS. He still has that car, from high school through four years of college, and now more than a year working in Iowa. He even pimped it out with a high-end sound system & speakers, lol! If you keep air in the tires you get 24 mpg on the highway at speeds under 80 mph due to the overdrive.

As others have said, if you must buy a Police Interceptor, get a "take-home" car from a Lt. or Capt. Otherwise, you might want to consider looking for a friend's parent that has a "cream-puff" that sits in the driveway, put new rubber on it and GO!

Good luck!

Dave

I've had P71's and for the money, you are better off buying a MGM with lower miles on it and then beefing up the suspension with some Moog HD springs and Bilstein Shocks...that's currently on mine. I bought a 2000 MGM with 29k miles on it for $8k...I now have 177k miles on it and still runs strong. What other cars give you massive trunk space, room for 6 and can last for 250k miles?

Ownership costs...How many new cars can you buy for $8k and will give you 150k to who knows miles of use? Just be wary of spark plug blow outs. I've had three but bought a kit and drilled and rethreaded some inserts with JB Weld and all is good. I get about 19-22 mpg Hwy. Yea other cars give you better fuel economy, but having the safety, durability, a massive trunk and lower repair costs are big factors to me.

Lots of MGM in the warmer southern states....think about looking in the classifieds where retirees live.

In buying a Crn Vic or MGM I would play close attention to suspension/steering..our Vics were plagued with issues in the steering box and front suspension..trannys and engines were good for most part ..Just dont want a control arm snapping while doing 70 mph..

They're cool cars, but they aren't extremely fast, or get the best MPG. It's easily the best compromise between speed, reliability, and ability to drive through walls. Frame on body is sweet.

Great cars. Wife's 99 Crown Vic with 78,000 and my 2005 Grand Marquis with 48,000 . Wouldn't trade'em for nothin'.

Big and comfortable. V8 & rear wheel drive, just the way God intended.

Kinda suck in snow, but ya can't have everything.

AND

You can chock-a-block that huge trunk with guns, ammo, target stands, ete,etc...

The Crown Vic isn't the sleeper sedan that older police cars were. Plus,when you go to police auctions, you may be competing with cab companies; they sometimes buy them up for parts.

IMHO, if you're set on the Crown Vic/Marquis, try to find someone selling their mid-life crisis Marauder.

I also thought of the Marauder -- but a brief search indicated that the survivors that are in decent shape with lower miles seem to command a premium on eBay, and I thought "price" was a consideration.

Also....

http://www.caranddri...auder-road-test

At the track' date=' the Marauder acquitted itself satisfactorily, but it is, after all, a 2.14-ton bolus, and it does not produce voluminous thrust at the pushrod-low revs of an Impala SS. With only 1500 miles on the clock, our test car scrabbled to [b']60 mph in 7.5 seconds[/b] (versus 6.5 for the Impala SS, 6.0 for our supercharged Lounge Lizard). It huffed through the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91 mph (versus 15.0 and 92 for the Impala, 14.6 and 97 for the Lizard). And its top speed—limited to avoid driveshaft vibration—was a wimpy 117 mph (versus 142 for the Impala and 150 for the Lizard). We faced similar vibration woes with our project car, quelling them only via a $698 Winston Cup driveshaft.