zoid

Am I crazy or do I remember correctly?

I may be very mistaken here, but I could have sworn that when I first moved to NJ around 1995 they sold

handguns/long guns at retailers like Kmart, Sports Authority, etc. in the sporting goods section. Maybe not those

exact stores, but those type of big department stores. Now that I'm typing it it sounds really nuts. But I moved from

the Rocky Mountains and over there they do (or at least did at the time i moved) sell handguns in such type of

stores. Did that ever exist once upon a time in NJ or am I really nuts?

I remember Sports Authority in East Brunswick offered not only rifles but also a limited selection of handguns when I first moved there around 1997. Not sure however when they stopped selling firearms.

Yeah i knew i wasn't totally making it up in my mind. It's just in today's environment with all the regulation it

almost seems like a distant fantasy land. That's why I though I was mistaken.

I may be very mistaken here, but I could have sworn that when I first moved to NJ around 1995 they sold

handguns/long guns at retailers like Kmart, Sports Authority, etc. in the sporting goods section. Maybe not those

exact stores, but those type of big department stores. Now that I'm typing it it sounds really nuts. But I moved from

the Rocky Mountains and over there they do (or at least did at the time i moved) sell handguns in such type of

stores. Did that ever exist once upon a time in NJ or am I really nuts?

Kmart Sold Long guns into the 1990's along witl ammunition. Sport's Authority sold handguns and long guns for a while, then cut back to only long guns and ammo, then dropped it altogether. i remember as a kid (late 70's/Early 80's) Service merchandise and some Sears stors had gun sections in their sporting Goods areas, and even Herman's Sporting goods in Willowbrook had a (Albeit small) Selection of Long guns.

I worked in the Howell Kmart back in 84-85. We had many long guns and ammo no pistols. We sold a bunch of ammo but not many guns. Then one day all the guns were gone and nobody had an answer to what happened!! I think some other K-marts had guns for awhile longer.

I bought my first shotgun from Best back in 1986. My dad has one he bought from Two Guys in Bricktown back in the day.

I remember Two Guys having barrels of $7 Carcanos, $12 Enfields, and $15 Mausers back in the late 50s and early 60s.

The Sports Authority In Paramus just off 17 north by the Paramus Park Mall, still does sell at least long guns and ammo.

I was there last week and the gun dept was gone , but a staging area for some Giants players was set up signing autographs. Prob a temp removal?

Not crazy. I remember in my younger years the K-mart in Glassboro selling a wide selection of long guns, ammo, and target pistols. Later the pistol case was nothing but knives and BB/pellet guns, but the long guns persisted into the late 80s for certain. K-mart turned the retail of firearms primarily over to Sports Authority, which they bought sometime around 88-90. Now, the real questions is for the grey-hairs like me, do you remember when the Sears on the corner of Landis & Delsea sold firearms in-store (they certainly did) and the Two Guys (where the super Walmart sits on Landis today) selling long guns and ammo?

I'm crazy but they sure as heck did. Only thing I am not sure about is if it lasted through 1995. I don't remember when all the various stores phased out firearms.

Siderman I was there the 26th bought a brick of 22 ammo and another person was looking as a lever action 22. The Sports Authority by the IKEA doesn't have a guns section.

IKEA is full-blown anti on steroids. They won't even let you carry in their stores, ANYWHERE, nation-wide. If you carry unconcealed they will tell you to leave or possibly even call the cops.

Yes, as a kid I remember some of these major retail stores selling guns and gun stuff. Also, at a local farmer's market up to 2004?

I remember Hk G-series type rifles w factory desert camo, FAL's, AK's w folding stocks, lugs, flash supp, drum mags, 30-rd mags, MAC-10/11's all semi auto of course, being sold on the showroom floor, not behind counter. Galil's, Steyr AUG's, you NAME it. Til about '89. Now that stuff is priceless.

So, yep, what happened???

I'm crazy but they sure as heck did. Only thing I am not sure about is if it lasted through 1995. I don't remember when all the various stores phased out firearms.

IKEA is full-blown anti on steroids. They won't even let you carry in their stores, ANYWHERE, nation-wide. If you carry unconcealed they will tell you to leave or possibly even call the cops.

Are you surprised?

Ikea is a Swedish company and Sweden has absurdly strict gun laws - no private handgun ownership, long guns can only be owned by people who have a valid hunting license. The people there are indoctrinated into believing this is the way it should be, and look at us as a bunch of gun wielding savages. When you explain to them that there are practical uses for guns other than hunting or nefarious activities they look at you with amazement because they have never heard this before and never even considered the possibility.

Are you surprised?

Ikea is a Swedish company and Sweden has absurdly strict gun laws - no private handgun ownership, long guns can only be owned by people who have a valid hunting license. The people there are indoctrinated into believing this is the way it should be, and look at us as a bunch of gun wielding savages. When you explain to them that there are practical uses for guns other than hunting or nefarious activities they look at you with amazement because they have never heard this before and never even considered the possibility.

I never had any expectations about it.  I spent some time in Sweden but Western Europe is so anti-gun for the most part that I never bothered to look into it.  

You may hear people talk about anti-gun national companies, but the truth is, it's mostly BS.  Most companies don't have policies, some have pro-gun policies, and even the very few that do have no gun policies don't enforce them except in anti-gun areas.  I carry unconcealed every single day, and I am in more stores during the course of a week than most people are in during a month.  I have never been asked to leave a store in the 6 years I've carried of late.  Ikea is the only place I know I will have a problem nearly for certain.  It must be part of the employee training program or some shit.

1. The customer is always the customer.

2. We hate guns.

3. Some assembly required.