Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

S&W 329PD v. Ruger Alaskan

This thread is a result of this WTB post...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/43890-wtb-sw-329pd/page__fromsearch__1

Since we don't want to muddy-up the classifieds, and since I am sick to death of the current sky-is-falling theme that currently prevails on this forum, I thought a closer look at this above comparison is warrented, as well as being a nice diversion.

I did respond to the OP with a GB listing and a comment that wondered why the OP would want one of these.

To this, BLF responded, "Why choose this over an Alaskan?" (to paraphrase - read it yourself at the link).

Here is my reasoning: The 329PD, for those that are unfamiliar is an N-Frame S&W built on a Scandium frame and utilizing a titanium cylinder. IIRC, this package weighs in at appx 25 oz. This is a very "task specific" handgun. People that buy them for the cool factor (and they are waaaay cool) divest themselves of them soon after shooting a cylinderful of full-house magnums. So what good is this? It is a great gun for those that are going to carry it a lot and shoot it a little, and anticipate possibly being in harms way when undertaking an endeavor secondary to shooting. That would be something akin to backpacking or fishing in bear (and we're talking Brown, Grizzley or Polar) country.

If I were specifically hunting bear with a handgun, I would choose a longer barrel, heavier (read that all-steel) handgun of a caliber that eclipses the .44 Mag - and there are plenty of them these days. But as a remedy for the remote possibility of a hostile bear encounter, there is none better than the 329PD.

The Ruger Alaskan is a fine revolver and it is chambered in the .44 magnum as well as calibers that eclipse the trusty .44. But it is HEAVY. Its frame is larger than the Smith N-frame and is all steel - sounds like a great candidate for that hunt-specific handgun, EXCEPT they stick a 2.5" barrel on it. Kind of kills the ballistics and doesn't make it significantly lighter for a carry much/shoot little handgun. Pretty much the same could be said about Smith's X-frame snubbies.

OK, so weigh in on your thoughts.

Maybe the OP of the WTB ad intends only to shoot .44 Specials through his 329PD - to which I say, "Get a 696, a 624 or a 24 and be happier".

OK, enough of my diversion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The Alaskan is way heavier than this S&W. I have a 325 Thunder Ranch in scandium and that thing is light for it's size. I am a big fan of Rugers and I think 454 Casull is the caliber everyone should get for the Alaskan. but Alaskans in 454 Casull is hard to find. I don't think they are meant for hunting, more suited for close encounter with bears.

Yo PB! I just got back into the country for Xmas. Great to be back around my Smiths and Sigs!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some examples in the safe high on "coolness" and low on functionality, but I balance those with the high on coolness and superb on functionality such as my trove of 547s. :nyam:

I'd have to agree with your reasoning given the OP of the WTB wants used, which sounds like a case of having it for "just in case carry" and not flinging full-house Magnums out of it every range session. Not a bad choice for backpacking/hiking/camping. Personally, I prefer to carry a M25 in .45LC when in the woods, and when in mountain country, I'm carrying it with a lever-gun in .45LC.

Thanks pizza bob, I checked out the ad on gb but I'm not a fan of buying something like that online without being able to see it in person, but I appreciate your sending me the link.

Now, the reason I'm buying the 329pd as opposed to the Alaskan or Smitty's mountain gun is because I plan on doing some hiking and camping out west in brown bear country.

I don't know your background but if you've been hiking with a ruck on your back, you already know that ounces add up to pounds and pounds add up to pain.

The 329pd is specially made for the purpose in which I intend to use it. I don't need extra weight on one side of my hip. If that were the case, I'd strap on my raging judge 454 lol.

I've shot the 329pd before , it's got some sting with the ahrends grips and a cylinder of 240gr in it. With the hogue xframe grips its pretty manageable. The 360pd with 357's in it is far more brutal in my opinion.

Everyone isn't recoil sensitive and this gun isn't for target shooting, it's a tool to save my ass in case of a "worst case scenario". In reality I should be bringing a long gun, but it's just not practical.

Now, the reason I'm buying the 329pd as opposed to the Alaskan or Smitty's mountain gun is because I plan on doing some hiking and camping out west in brown bear country.

Which is exactly what I stated in my comparison. Good on you.

For carrying in the wooded areas while hunting in the free states, I chose the G20. For handgun hunting piggies in GA, super redhawk 44M with a 7 1/2" barrel. It is fun shooting the 44M at the range with my reloaded 44 specials, 180gr XTP over 14gr of Blue Dot. Low recoil, loud bang, it always turns heads.