MarkWVU02

Stack-on vs. Liberty Centurion

I'm on a tight budget but would like to get a gun safe to better secure my belongings. I live in an apartment building that has security cameras and someone around almost all the time so I'm not worried about someone walking out with the safe. I know I can get a better safe if I spend more money but don't have the money now or the room. when I move to a permanent residence I plan on getting something bigger/more secure.

Here are my two options:

Stack-On 14 gun safe ($300 made in China)

or

Liberty Centurion 12 gun safe ($349 made in USA)

I'll be storing 1 handgun, 3 long guns and some ammo. In the next year I only really see myself getting maybe another handgun and maybe 1-2 long guns so either of these two should be fine.

Leaning towards the Liberty as it's made in the USA. Looking for recommendations between the 2. Don't really want to hear about others I can't afford right now. Please if you have any experience with either of these two brands please help out. Thanks for the help guys.

which as the better fire rating? that may decide it for you

Stack-On 30 minutes at 1400 degrees Liberty 20 minutes at 1200 degrees

the Liberty Centurian safes are made in China, not the US.

they used to be made in China but are now made in USA. According to the Liberty Expert on lowes.com "This particular safe (CN12-bkt #387166) is proudly made in the USA in Payson, Utah."

You mentioned you lived in an apt, though you didn't mention what floor and my only 2 cents is that to ask about delivery. I bought a Liberty last year and they had no issue taking it up to the 3rd floor of my house and setting it up for me. Of course they did charge me extra for having to take it up to the 3rd floor. Not sure what Stack-on or whatever retailer that would deliver it would offer for you on that so suggest you ask. Otherwise I do like my Liberty...

If the difference in cost is only 50 bucks I'd go made in the USA every time.

I'm sure the stack on is fine. I just prefer a US made product. A good point

of reference is to go on Amazon and read the reviews.

Both have solid reviews. I live on the first floor. The Stack-On would be delivered as the closest lowes that has it is in NY. I could get the Liberty locally. Me and a friend or two could handle it. They both weigh 250-300 lbs. I'm leaning towards the Liberty because it's US made, but te Stack-On is slightly bigger.

Mark, I would consider the Stack-on over the Liberty for the fire rating you posted. Granted, fire ratings are subjective depending on how the tests were done, etc.

They say most house fire burn for 30 min before they are extinguished at around 1200 degrees. I'd rather have the extra 10 minutes at the higher temp.

Even if you didn't have a fire, living in an apartment you could easily be affected by your neighbors.

I'm on a tight budget but would like to get a gun safe to better secure my belongings. I live in an apartment building that has security cameras and someone around almost all the time so I'm not worried about someone walking out with the safe. I know I can get a better safe if I spend more money but don't have the money now or the room. when I move to a permanent residence I plan on getting something bigger/more secure.

Here are my two options:

Stack-On 14 gun safe ($300 made in China)

or

Liberty Centurion 12 gun safe ($349 made in USA)

I'll be storing 1 handgun, 3 long guns and some ammo. In the next year I only really see myself getting maybe another handgun and maybe 1-2 long guns so either of these two should be fine.

Leaning towards the Liberty as it's made in the USA. Looking for recommendations between the 2. Don't really want to hear about others I can't afford right now. Please if you have any experience with either of these two brands please help out. Thanks for the help guys.

I picked up a Stack-On 16 Gun Safe with electronic lock last summer from Walmart for around $375 including shipping. It's not a fire safe but it is solid for the price and much more secure than a security cabinet. I never keep ammo in it, I store ammo in a separate smaller safe.The only problem I've had with it was the battery that came with it was weak and wouldn't operate the solenoid so I had to replace the battery. It does come with an override key should the electronic lock fail.

I picked up a Stack-On 16 Gun Safe with electronic lock last summer from Walmart for around $375 including shipping. It's not a fire safe but it is solid for the price and much more secure than a security cabinet. I never keep ammo in it, I store ammo in a separate smaller safe.The only problem I've had with it was the battery that came with it was weak and wouldn't operate the solenoid so I had to replace the battery. It does come with an override key should the electronic lock fail.

The one I'm looking at is fire safe and has a manual combo lock. Personally I'm not a fan of the electronic lock. Would rather just do it manually.

this is what I found on Liberty's site in regards to the Centurian 20 safes. Some other websites list only the Centurian series as import from China.

"Liberty's Centurion 20 is solid safe that is made in China using Liberty's engineering and specifications."

The one I'm looking at is fire safe and has a manual combo lock. Personally I'm not a fan of the electronic lock. Would rather just do it manually.

In retrospect if I had it to do over I would most likely go for the manual combo lock too, although the electronic lock is not bad.

this is what I found on Liberty's site in regards to the Centurian 20 safes. Some other websites list only the Centurian series as import from China.

"Liberty's Centurion 20 is solid safe that is made in China using Liberty's engineering and specifications."

Read that too but also read they moved production to USA. Like I said the Liberty expert on lowes said the safe was made in the US.

I guess it's really about equal between these two safes. The Liberty is easier for me to get so now I'm leaning toward it. The Stack-On is an hour away at a lowes in NY and would either take too much time to get or cost more for delivery. It's probably six of one half a dozen of the other when it comes down to it. The Stack-On is slightly bigger though.

I guess it's really about equal between these two safes. The Liberty is easier for me to get so now I'm leaning toward it. The Stack-On is an hour away at a lowes in NY and would either take too much time to get or cost more for delivery. It's probably six of one half a dozen of the other when it comes down to it. The Stack-On is slightly bigger though.

The Centurion 14 is only $50 more.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292952-10283-CE12-BK_0__?productId=1242371

The Centurion 14 is only $50 more.

http://www.lowes.com...oductId=1242371

Saw that but that was one of the ones still made in China. The CE models are Chinese...the CN models are American made from what I've researched. After taking a look at Stack-On and Liberty again the liberty feels more solidly made. There isn't that much of a size difference between the two...I think the 14 gun is 3 inches wider. From what I've read they replaced the 14 with the 12 when they moved production to the US.

Saw that but that was one of the ones still made in China. The CE models are Chinese...the CN models are American made from what I've researched. After taking a look at Stack-On and Liberty again the liberty feels more solidly made. There isn't that much of a size difference between the two...I think the 14 gun is 3 inches wider. From what I've read they replaced the 14 with the 12 when they moved production to the US.

Didn't notice that. Thanks. I have been looking as well.