Lalo

Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact or M&P Shield

While I'm waiting for my next set of permits, I'm contemplating what pistols should pick up next. Since I'm also waiting for my FL CCW, I figured I should pick up a compact pistol so I can carry when needed. Anyone have any thoughts on the Beretta Px4 Storm Type F Sub-Compact? My brother has a full size Storm and I like it a lot. I know the sub-compact doesn't have the same type of rotating barrel as the full size so I should expect a different feel when shooting it. Any thoughts, likes/dislikes or things to watch out for?

Having recently compared some different subs/pockets, there's something you might want to keep in mind regarding the PX4 sub. It's thicker and heavier than all of it's polymer competition, and very close in weight to a small 1911.

In LxHxW, the PX4 Sub is 6.2x4.8x1.4 weighing 26.1oz, the MP9c is 6.7x4.3x1.2 weighing 21.7oz and a Glock 26 is 6.54x4.17x1.18 weighing 19.75oz. A Sig 1911 Ultra Compact is 6.8x4.8x1.4 weighing 28oz. Just some thoughts. In the end, it's personal preference. It is short, I'll give it that.

I'll chime in on this. I own a PX4 Compact. I thought about going with the sub compact mainly because I liked the bulldog looks of it. But I wanted the rotating barrel.

Long story short, no regrets on the PX4 Compact. It's small enough to carry under a sport coat and can do double duty as a nightstand gun. The rotating barrel turns its recoil into a cream puff. Plus, it has max NJ Legal capacity of 15 rounds. If you get a Full-size PX4, you get the 10 rounders and have to buy the 15 rounders from Beretta.

Accessories? About the only accessory you need is a holster and I have 2 of them, one from Galco and one from Fobus. You can fit pretty much any other accessory on the rail.

IMHO, go with the Compact. It's only a little bigger than the subcompact and nearly the same weight.

Thanks for the info so far guys. For some reason, I've always liked guns that had a little meat in them. I don't mind the weight so much as much as the next guy and since I won't be carrying full time, I don't want to invest in a true pocket gun. I was also thinking about the M&P Shield but will look at the Glock 26 as an option. My only other requirement is that since I don't want to have to carry another caliber round, the pistol will have to be .40 cal.

Thanks for the info so far guys. For some reason, I've always liked guns that had a little meat in them. I don't mind the weight so much as much as the next guy and since I won't be carrying full time, I don't want to invest in a true pocket gun. I was also thinking about the M&P Shield but will look at the Glock 26 as an option. My only other requirement is that since I don't want to have to carry another caliber round, the pistol will have to be .40 cal.

M&P 40C 10+1rds

Glock 27 9+1rds

I owned the M&P 40c. Great pistol. The M&P is larger and heavier than the Glock 27. The M&P 40c falls right in between the size of the Glock 23 and 27. This is also the reason I got rid of the M&P 40c, i couldnt justify its size since I have a G23 and G26. But these are striker fired pistols. If you have to have a da/sa hammer fired pistol the Beretta PX4 Compact all the way.

The S&W Shield and Beretta Nano are slimmmer single stack type pistos. They are limited to 7+1 and 6+1 rds in 9mm, less in .40. They dont have the heft and full grip feel of the thicker sub compacts. I have not jumped on the single stack 9 bandwagon, I feel if I can't conceal the Glock 26 (my fav) iwb or under a shirt i go right down to the Ruger LCP in the front pocket.

I own the PX4 Storm Sub Compact as well as the 92fs. Love both but very different, With the short barrel it takes a little more time becoming accustomed to shoot but once you have it down a fun gun to shoot. Picked up the Berretta holster for it. Fits well.

You can't go wrong with a Berretta

Just got the call that my permits are ready so I'm picking something up today. Local shop has the Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact in .40 in stock and the other has the M&P Shield in 9mm in stock. I'm debating now whether or not ita a big deal to have to carry a different round. 9mm is cheaper than .40 cal. 9mm is easier to shoot than the 40. It would also be nice to have a little diversity in my collection. Ahh decisions decisions...

When considering a gun for concealed carry - make sure you check the width. The Px4 Storm SubCompact is fairly wide for a subcompact...

Very true. The size and weight of the PX4 is a little bigger than the Shield. PX4 could be uncomfortable to carry for a long period of time although people do carry it.

I have the PX4 Full size in .40 cal. It is an excellent gun, the rotating barrel really does help with recoil. It is rather large, but If you dont mind that than I would agree with mcbethr and get the Compact so you still get the rotating barrel. Plus it is a hammer fired vs the M&P and Glock which are striker fired. So it depends on what you prefer.

I changed the title of this thread because after handling the M&P Shield today for the first time I must say, I'm liking it. It's small, light weight and thin. The grip is very comfortable and it looks a lot less bulky than the PX4 SC. They only had it in 9mm but I've decided that the caliber is no longer a deciding factor. I'm going to wait till tomorrow to pull the trigger on the purchase but right now the Shield is the top contender.

Well after going through this last year, i ended up with a Kahr CM9, sold the CM9 and am now a VERY happy owner of a Shield in 9mm. It is also the ONLY 9mm i own similar to you my other pistols are mostly .40...

My full size night stand pistol is a M&P full size in .40 and i really wanted something single stack for out of state carry. The shield is great, and i happen the prefer the safety as well.

I say go w/ the shield. I got mine from Atlantic tactical for $350

check out springfield XDs 45 - super small, 5 or 7 rounds...Awsome reviews - very accurate...Different platfoem entirely from px4...I have a PX4-45 full size. Nice Gun but I don't like the SA/DA per se...I prefer my 1911's SA only much better...The XDs feels very much like a SA only - awsome trigger...I gave it a try because Bereta didn't offer there real small gun in 45. I lucked out the XDs is quite a pocket pistol.

I love my shield but I got it because my HD and IDPA gun is the full size M&P40 and I wanted the same mechanics. You might not be in the same boat as me.

Edit: oh and my Shield is in 9 for that extra round of ammo and lower recoil.

If you have the time I bet there's enough members on here that you can try all the guns you're considering.

Thank my ou all for your comments and suggestions. After passing by the shops a couple of times to hold the Storm and the Shield, I decided to go with the Shield in 9mm. To me, the biggest deciding factor was the size of the Shield. It just felt a lot smaller and thinner than the Storm. I liked the 9mm because of the soft recoil compared to a .40 and the size would be easier to conceal when I carry. I took it out after a cleaning and ran about 100 rounds through it. No failures or issues and it was such an easy gun to shoot, accurate as well. I swapped between the .22 Mosquito, the Shield and the 226 in .40 and the Shield was my favorite of them all. I think I'm really going to enjoy shooting this gun. Here are some pics.

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-8.jpg

Here are some shots of me holding it with the 7 and 8 round magazines. The 8 rounder extends down perfectly to fit my pinky finger. The 7 round mag is shorter of corse but not uncomfortable to shoot.

temporary-7.jpg

temporary-9.jpg

Forgot to mention, I'm reading that people have found a way to modify the .40 barrel to fit the 9mm chassis/slide and convert the 9 to 40. Going to from the 40 barrel to the 9 is easy, just buy a 40 barrel and 40 magazines and the pistol will work. Going the other way requires shaving of a little bit of the barrel where it meets the back of the slide...

Dog is a lab/pointer mix. ;-)

ahh cool. he/she looks very similar to mine. when we adopted last year they told us fox terrier mix. He def looks like a fox terrier but sort-of looks like a mini-pinscher as well. However i catch him pointing sometimes, so maybe he has that, who knows...