Lonestartraveler

Out of State NJ Resident License Questions.

Hi all - I stumbled upon this forum tonight because I'm in search of an answer to my question.

I'm a travel nurse and NJ resident who is currently living in Texas for the next few months. I'm interested in purchasing a pistol for home defense. From the topics I've searched on the forums it sounds like I'll have to go to a NJ local or state police department to obtain a license... Am I missing something?

Will making a special trip back to NJ be the only way I can obtain a gun license? Or can I just walk into a local police station here in Houston and do the required paperwork dispute being an out of state resident?

I apologize if this has been discussed before... I did search through forum topics with license in the title and didn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks,

J

In my opinion, which may or may not be up to legal snuff. But if it were me if possible change your license to a texas one, be a resident for 30 days, buy in texas and enjoy your pistols. then apply when you get back and do not voluntary register them.

If you are a NJ resident you have to go through the process of obtaining a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card(FPID). You have to go to the police station in your town, or state police barracks if your town doesn't have their own police force. You have to fill out all the paperwork, make an appointment to hand in the paperwork, and then make another appointment to get fingerprinted. The whole process will probably take about 2-8 months before you can buy a gun.

That's just the basic rundown of the process.

If you are living in Texas for any length of time I would seriously consider switching your license and becoming a resident of Texas.

Uggghhh. That's exactly what I was afraid of!!!! A long drawn out process that requires me to physically be in NJ. I'll consider obtaining a license down here, but will need to look into how that may have tax implications - as a good part of my income is tax-free being a transient worker.

Thanks soooo much for the quick responses!