7-3-2

Bow practice regulations

Hey guys,

So I haven't owned a bow in years but I used to go practice archery with my father over a decade ago. Recently, my 11 year old brother has developed an interest in bow hunting and wants to go with me. Neither of us have our license and I know well have to attend classes etc. I was just curious if it is legal for us to go out in a wooded area and set u a target and get some practice? My father used to take me out to fields and behind schools and we would practice pout there but i am not sure of how legal that was, I figure somebody here could probably tell em if that is legal or not. If it isnt legal, where is best place to go to get some practice in with a bow and arrow?

Kev

Just don't send the arrows into your neighbors yard. I believe there was someone who got in trouble for hitting their neighbor's pool with an arrow.

I've seen some areas setup for archery practice. There is one in Clinton and there is another one near Shongum Sportsman Association. The Clinton one will require a hunting license.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

I'm not sure what the rules are for the one near Shongum as it always seem empty.

Winslow WMA has a great archery range set up, multiple target rigs set up at various ranges. I shoot in my backyard and he open field at the end of my street. Just started my 7 year old son with his own bow, he shoots with me.

I think there is archery practice place run by Bergen County in Mahwah.

Campgaw Reservation is the location in Mahwah. http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/bcparks/PrCampgawMountain.aspx

All you need to acquire to use it is an archery permit. Instructions for how to acquire are on the Bergen Bowmen website.

http://www.bergenbowmen.com/ (click on "range" for details)

It's a bit far for you... but there's an indoor range on RT 46 in Saddle Brook, NJ. Targeteers. It's been a long time since I shot (10-12 years) but I bought most of my gear there over the years (both hunting and competitive gear). They've got a nice staff and their indoor range has been redone recently.

Honestly, with the popularity of The Hunger Games and that TV show "Revolution," archery is making a comeback, even in school, and even in NJ. I wouldn't see anything wrong with having someone practice in their back yard as long as they were being safe.