Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeHM

Marlin 60

I am a new owner of a Marlin 60 .22lr, and I have a few question about it.

It is new out of the box do I need to do anything before my first time on the range with it?

Does it need any special treatment after using or just run a bore snake down it after every time I take out to the range.

Lastly is there any type of mods that can be or need to be done to make it a better.

Thanks in advance.

It is 15 lr tubular mag. I bought it from a dealer Meltzer's in Garfield NJ.

Not sure if it was same rifle, but recently I was checking out Marlin 60 at the same place.

Don't own one, but was doing some research and decided it would be good 22lr for me.

From what I've found, it believed to be one of the best rifles "out of the box". You will not find a lot of accessories for this rifle, but rumor has it - you shouldn't really need any.

Again, I don't have experience with this rifle, but would suggest [before going to the range] some oil for moving parts: rails, bolt etc.

Older Marlin 60s would hold more than 15 rds of LR and I doubt there are any new ones on the shelves anywhere. It will not feed and function properly with shorts or longs.

I would fieldstrip it as per the manual, clean and lube it, and take it to the range. DO NOT detail strip as most likely this result in you taking the pieces of your rifle to a gunsmith to be put together. A gun only needs to be taken totally apart when it is broken.

22 rifles don't need that much attention. Unless the gun got caught in the rain or fell in the mud all you need to do is is make a few passes with a brush down the bore with solvent, followed by patches, and ending with a patch with lube to protect the bore. Lock the bolt back and wipe out what you can get at and put a few drops of lube on the sides of the bolt. Depending how much you shoot and how dirty your ammo is you only need to take the action out of the stock for cleaning.

Modern semi auto 22s don't require much attention. A friend of mine has a 10/22 he's had for over 40 years. He shoots about a brick (500 rds) a year through it. After shooting it (the gun ran flawlessly for the 100 or so rds we fired) I suggested we clean the guns we were shooting. He asked me to fieldstrip it for him as he forgot how. I commented it didn't seem that dirty and asked him how often he cleaned it. I found out why he forgot to fieldstrip it when he replied he's never cleaned it. 40 years and about 20,000 rds with no problems. I don't suggest this but it shows how well a quality 22 SA can run. The Marlin is in the same league.

What do I think of the Marlin 60? I own two.

I have one. The newer marlin 60's are for .22lr only. As far as I recall the tube holds 14 rds. I believe the 15 rd cap is based on 14 in the tube 1 in the chamber.

It's a great rifle. Very accurate. There are plenty of videos in youtube on how to properly strip the rifle for cleaning. Even with cleaner 22lr ammo, the action gets gritty after several hundred rounds.

I believe the 15 rd cap is based on 14 in the tube 1 in the chamber.

The 15 round cap is for the magazine tube only, the chamber is not included in the round count. The firearm can legally have an overall capacity of 16 rounds, 15 in the tube + 1 in the chamber.

The Marlin 60's have been NJ compliant since 1994. If you do strip it to clean, the bigest problem is getting the bolt recoil spring in without bending it. Better to swab the barrel with some Hoppes #9 and swab a little inside the breech. Oil it up and your done. Very accurate and shoots any long rifle 22 that is out there (check the barrel- it tells you LR only). Besides a model 60, I have a model 75 which is the carbine version of the model 60. After around 15 - 20,000 rounds it developed a feeding problem that maybe I'll address some day. That one was made in 1974.