NJScott

Marlboro, NJ Mayor Puts Cops In Every School

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/02/Democrat-Mayor-Puts-Armed-Police-In-NJ-Schools

Aside from it being a knee-jerk reaction to Newtown, one that will ultimately cause the already sky-high taxes in that township go even higher, I think it is psychologically-damaging for kids in grammar school to have to have a uniformed, armed presence in their midst day-in, day-out.

One unintended consequence is that it will prepare this kids from a very early age to accept as the norm having a government-supplied authority figure in their every day lives.

Please don't take this as a knock against LEO"s, because it's not. It's more a condemnation of the overreaction by this idiotic mayor (who vehemently claims to be anti-NRA, yet adopts the very policy WLP touted on tv a couple of weeks ago), and the indoctrination of this kids to accept a "police state" as an every day thing.

Hey, when I was a young kid in grammar school, we had a Hudson County cop, Mike, who acted as a crossing guard for us at lunch time. I loved the guy and spent many a lunch period talking to him, but I think it would have been kind of weird to see him all day IN our school.

Not to mention that guess who goes first if anyone comes around.

I'm not for having cops or uniforms in schools, either. I'd be more for undercovers if cops. Best would be to change the laws and allow an armed volunteer(s) to roam the halls. Kids don't need to know why that person is there or that they have a firearm on them. Best if they didn't, actually. Or, allow the teachers to arm themselves. I know that Anthony at Gun for Hire is offering free training to teachers that have the green light to arm themselves in their schools (or something to that effect). Again, no one (aside from administration) needs to know.

C

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/02/Democrat-Mayor-Puts-Armed-Police-In-NJ-Schools

Aside from it being a knee-jerk reaction to Newtown, one that will ultimately cause the already sky-high taxes in that township go even higher, I think it is psychologically-damaging for kids in grammar school to have to have a uniformed, armed presence in their midst day-in, day-out.

One unintended consequence is that it will prepare this kids from a very early age to accept as the norm having a government-supplied authority figure in their every day lives.

Please don't take this as a knock against LEO"s, because it's not. It's more a condemnation of the overreaction by this idiotic mayor (who vehemently claims to be anti-NRA, yet adopts the very policy WLP touted on tv a couple of weeks ago), and the indoctrination of this kids to accept a "police state" as an every day thing.

Hey, when I was a young kid in grammar school, we had a Hudson County cop, Mike, who acted as a crossing guard for us at lunch time. I loved the guy and spent many a lunch period talking to him, but I think it would have been kind of weird to see him all day IN our school.

I had a cop in my school as long as I can remember uniformed anf armed.. elementary school in eastbrunswick had a dare officer everyday... middle school had 2.. new Brunswick votech I was patted down and pyt through a metal detector by a cop.. Jackson had 4 2 for each building... and I turned out fine. If anything the relationship I had with the officers encouraged me to persue a career in law enforcement and kept me out of atleast half of the fights I could of been in. I would volunteer my time to patrol a school and have offered thus to my dept to be turned down. So adverse effects I think is a long shot buddy

On the other hand, I've had many arguments with my sister-in-law over a similar situation. Why is it that it's a bad thing to have any leo in schools? Do you think it will scare the kids? We were always taught that a cop was our friend. Hence when we were younger, we were impressed with cops and thought they were cool. In my sis-in-laws eyes, she did not want my niece to see cops. She didn't want her to be traumatized by what cops had to do in life. This frustrated he hell out of me. Kids need to understand what their jobs are. not hide them to be only around when needed! Trying to convince her that kids need to know why there are cops in the first place should have been a normal educational conversation and that kids, or anyone for the most part. Kids should know they are our first responders and our protectors of society. Not a scary person.

So I tried an experiment with my niece one day. She stayed with me while her mom and my wife went shopping. We had a sit down where I asked her if she was scared of all the things mom kept her from. Cop shows, scary movies, etc., etc. We sat and watched a scary movie. She said that it doesn't bother her one bit. In fact she was so busy laughing about he dumb movie, I forgot about the whole subject for which it was intended. We watched a cop show. She was actually curious and asked me questions.

Bottom line, why can't kids see cops around them? Just what the hell are you trying to protect them from? Evil guns? Evil uniforms? What? What is wrong with it? Please explain this to me. I'd like to hope that if something bad started going wrong and a kid saw the problem arise, that he/she would know who exactly to run to IF they weren't in any immediate danger. Don't forget how long it initially took leo to arrive? Is a uniform going to make you keep things the same? Unprotected? Come on now...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Personally, I'm not in favor of it. I would prefer that individuals who want to be licensed to carry be allowed to do so. I just find this preferable to having police in the school instead of doing police work on the street.

Active shooters typically surrender or self terminate when me with armed resistance. Individuals should have the tools of self defense at their disposal.

I see no problem having them around schools. I think there should also be a few others allowed to either carry, or have guns locked inside the building that they would have access to. The single cop is going to be a target, but while they are at-it, the others can be getting backup ready, while the local PD has been alerted and on the way.

At least the schools would be safer, leaves shopping malls and such as the next target...........

CCW would help end a lot of this, wouldn't it.............

Not an answer. If they are psychotic, surrendering or self terminating may be third or fourth on their list. They have tunnel vision in the mean time and can barely see outside the box. They focus on their mission. We are not talking about some twit that is holding up a deli here.

Personally, I'm not in favor of it. I would prefer that individuals who want to be licensed to carry be allowed to do so. I just find this preferable to having police in the school instead of doing police work on the street.

Active shooters typically surrender or self terminate when me with armed resistance. Individuals should have the tools of self defense at their disposal.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

They already had cops in the school according to the mayor. We had cops in our high school and it was actually kind of cool. It gave you an opportunity to have a relationship with the police as opposed to the us vs them mentality.

This. You realize cops are just dudes trying to do a job.

I think the perfect solution would be recently returning Vets. How many cannot find a job and would be ok keeping calm at a school for $40k a year? Far better than having a licensed citizen with a gun.

I'm all for that although many have Post Traumatic Stress so they'd definitely need to be evaluated. I'm for arming administrators and teachers that are willing to train. Why shouldn't someone that's there everyday and has the will to train extensively be able to defend themselves and their school?

I'm in the younger crowd here, so I can provide some information. I graduated high school about 5 1/2 years ago, and from my first day there was a designated police officer in the building. OP, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's a simple presence deterrence. We also had the same officer for all 4 years, we knew him, and we felt comfortable going to him with information.

As per the town the cost is 100K for 90 days....or 400K for the entire year...taken into context the marlboro district has a 78 million dollar budget...if my math is correct(not my best subject) the cost of the cops is .4%....IMHO money very well spent...and having the cops also isnt a bad idea for student - PD relations....too many kids have bad impressions of cops...yes some kids(and cops) couldnt care but two way info only makes schools all the more safer...

My sister-in-laws town is a type of town where majority of crimes are about old ladies slipping on ice in winter (no offense to old ladies).

Still, they have a cop visit school on daily basis, spend time, educate kids about recent events, run DARE program, just be present and friendly

all around. I didnt see her kids as spooked or disturbed. If anything they have better understanding of things , why not approach a vehicle with

puppies etc.

I say go for it. Budget - they will find it. The CT school had about 600 kids @ 200 = 120K per year - OT or salary for couple of vets. There

are lot of people with enough dedication to do the job. 60 or 70 or even 150K is peanuts for any town if the intent is really to minimize

ANY type of incidents.

We didn't have DARE or a police presence in my school growing up. If we saw a cop in school it meant an ambulance was a couple minutes behind. Years later they implemented DARE and when I saw the cop in my sister's school it did bug me out at first.

I think I might have been a bit less reckless in some of my actions as a pre-teen / young teenager if I had more good exposure to police at that age. To me it was an us vs them thing and they were faceless and inhuman. If my mind had associated the local cops with actual human beings who had feelings and personalities and names I would have hesitated before doing stupid shit. Not that I wouldn't have reverted back to my old self once I started driving and dealing with that special breed of traffic cop who make it their job to trip you up as a youngin' :)

Concealed and plain clothed is definitely the way to go. Don't need it looking like Port Authority or Israel in there.

Whats your take on the Port Authority?Just curious as to the relation to Israel. You mean a ton of cops everywhere?

Relax..its a curiosity of perception and not looking to start anything

I'd say it's the presence of guys with rifles. Doesn't bother me but it can be intimidating to some.

Again, I'm sorry. I don't support this measure. In every active shooter in the last twenty years with fewer than four casualties, the shooter was confronted by immediate armed resistance, often in the form of a licensed civilian. Place a guard in a school where his sole function is to wait around for something that is so unlikely to happen breeds complacency.

The teachers work that school every day. The administrators are directly responsible for the life and safety of the kids and staff. Eliminate the gun free zone, establish a requirement of training nationally (unpopular with us) to be subsidized and facilitated by the NRA. Allow law abiding and willing civilians to carry concealed weapons for protection.

Just my opinion. I would rather my kids' teacher have the tools to defend her own life because I know she would sacrifice it to save my kids. She's invested.

The teachers work that school every day. The administrators are directly responsible for the life and safety of the kids and staff. Eliminate the gun free zone, establish a requirement of training nationally (unpopular with us) to be subsidized and facilitated by the NRA. Allow law abiding and willing civilians to carry concealed weapons for protection.

Just my opinion. I would rather my kids' teacher have the tools to defend her own life because I know she would sacrifice it to save my kids. She's invested.

Only part I disagree with is the NRA subsidized bit. That's like making driving instructors pay for drunk driving education.

On the other hand there are many instructors (GFH for example) that have offered to teach the teachers for free.

its all good with having a LEO or armed guard @ the school until an innocent bystander/student gets shot in a mix up.

That can happen anywhere. Bus stop, streets of NY etc. So we should disarm all LEO's because of the slimmest chance of something going horribly wrong? I don't think so.

Only part I disagree with is the NRA subsidized bit. That's like making driving instructors pay for drunk driving education.

On the other hand there are many instructors (GFH for example) that have offered to teach the teachers for free.

The way I see teachers could train during their summer months. Why not have them trained at the same facilities the police use?

The way I see teachers could train during their summer months. Why not have them trained at the same facilities the police use?

It doesn't really matter where they train. The GFH Cedar Grove location IS the Essex county police academy.