NJScott

Marlboro, NJ Mayor Puts Cops In Every School

The reason I mention NRA subsidy is to stave off the training becoming a means test. I don't mean that NRA does te training but that they set the baseline standard of training and help prevent the training from being unaffordable.

I don't know about the drink driver analogy. Sorry but that seems a strange one.

Whats your take on the Port Authority?Just curious as to the relation to Israel. You mean a ton of cops everywhere?

Relax..its a curiosity of perception and not looking to start anything

I actually meant Penn Station -- leg strapped holsters and rifles at low ready. Don't want to see soldiers in schools just yet

Not to mention that guess who goes first if anyone comes around.

I'm not for having cops or uniforms in schools, either. I'd be more for undercovers if cops. Best would be to change the laws and allow an armed volunteer(s) to roam the halls. Kids don't need to know why that person is there or that they have a firearm on them. Best if they didn't, actually. Or, allow the teachers to arm themselves. I know that Anthony at Gun for Hire is offering free training to teachers that have the green light to arm themselves in their schools (or something to that effect). Again, no one (aside from administration) needs to know.

C

Only part I disagree with is the NRA subsidized bit. That's like making driving instructors pay for drunk driving education.

On the other hand there are many instructors (GFH for example) that have offered to teach the teachers for free.

Does anyone have any info on what GFH is offering as training for teachers? As a teacher I'd be more than willing to take advantage of any training they would provide.

My OP was based on the fact that I've got a soon to be 8 year old niece in grammar school. She, and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of kids in her school are aware of what happened in Newtown. I think that far from having a calming or confidence-building effect on a kid, that having a uniformed officer walking the halls would actually increase the kids' anxiety level.

I'm from a different generation than most of you on here. As H. M. Murdock wrote, the only time we would have seen a cop in school was some sort of medical emergency. The first time I saw LEO's in any school I went to was high school, and then it was the two guys running the Juvie Squad. THEM I got to know pretty well the first couple of years, and they turned out to be good guys. The point is, having a uniformed and armed presence would have seemed downright distracting when I was in school, but maybe--as most of you are pointing out--it's just the way of the world today.

BTW, my niece's school HAD a D.A.R.E. officer, but he was arrested on a drug-related charge and removed. Shortly thereafter, the feds cut the budget for one, so they've been LEO-free for the most part, unless the local PD gives safety lectures, etc. Anyway, I don't think it is at all a bad idea for children to become familiar with and trust cops. But having the kids KNOW why the cops are there is what I think could lead to some of them getting uncomfortable. Not because they don't know that the officer is there to help them, but because they'd be on edge quite a bit thinking something "bad" is imminent.

I don't know...maybe I'm way off on this thing, or maybe I'm not explaining myself appropriately, but I still don't think it's a great solution. Maybe having the LEO's in plain clothes, kind of under the radar in a lot of respects would be a better "fit" all around?

Meh. East Side High in Newark has had uniformed police presence for ever. Mainly to prevent the youts from shooting each other, though.

Again, that is a HIGH school, not a grammar school. And I'm sure the students attending there, or Barringer, or any other inner-city school, have seen far worse out on the streets. But not a bunch of young kids in Marlboro, or Bayonne for that matter. Should have clarified that point right from the get-go.

I think the perfect solution would be recently returning Vets. How many cannot find a job and would be ok keeping calm at a school for $40k a year? Far better than having a licensed citizen with a gun.

I was with ya right up to the point I highlighted,, what's wrong with and Armed Citizen?? ;)