Luke_WO

What Are You Reading?

I am continuing my very eclectic reading list, via Audible audio books that I am listening to on my iPhone and synced via Bluetooth to my car’s audio system So for those who may be interested, here is my most recent list of ‘reads’:

1. American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America
By Colin Woodard

2. The Age of Acquiescence: The Life and Death of American Resistance to Organized Wealth and Power
By Steve Fraser

3. Food: A Love Story
By Jim Gaffigan

4. Tom Clancy Under Fire
By Grant Blackwood

5. The End of Normal: The Great Crisis and the Future of Growth
By James K. Galbraith

6. When to Rob a Bank: And 131 More Warped Suggestions and Well-Intended Rants
By Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubnar
(Authors of FREAKONOMICS)

7. The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System
By James Rickards

8. Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History
By Matt Taibbi

9. Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy
By Francis Fukuyama

10. The Joy of Retirement: Finding Happiness, Freedom and the Life You’ve Always Wanted
By David C. Borchard and Patricia A. Donohoe

AVB-AMG

Just started, "Heaven and Hell: My Life With The Eagles 1974 - 2001".

Only 50 pages into it. Very interesting so far. Born dirt poor, broke elbow when young & told would have limited use of arm. Mother made him carry pail filled with sand to straighen & strengthen arm. Diagnosed with polio at 8, given serum but still had to spend quite a bit of time in polio ward. Only a small radio available that he listened to for hours each day that started his love of music. Trades M80s for guitar neighborhood kid had that was collecting dust. Over years becomes better and better at playing. Young teenager he's working at music store to pay off new guitar he bought from them. Giving lessons to snot nose whining kids but one he likes who shows promise. Kids name is Tom Petty!

All that in 50 pages....and I'm leaving out a lot! Very much looking forward to reading the remainder of the book.

Just finished this and WOW!  What a read!  For anyone who is a fan of The Eagles this is a must read.  Towards the end I didn't want to put it down.  Just wanted to keep reading, and reading.  I highly recommend it if your looking for a a good nonfiction book.

13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi

The trailers for the forthcoming movie are already out.

No politics, just a first-hand account of what happened.  State Department security was bush league.  I have no doubt Americans fought bravely that day, but it was a clusterf***.  The whole thing stinks.

513u7LAieZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi

The trailers for the forthcoming movie are already out.

No politics, just a first-hand account of what happened.  State Department security was bush league.  I have no doubt American fought bravely that day, but it was a clusterf***.  The whole thing stinks.

513u7LAieZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks good- next on my list

In light of the Paris attacks in Friday, I just re-read "Day of Wrath" by William R. Forstchen. Speculative fiction of nationwide Mumbai/Paris style attacks in the U.S. by ISIS/ISIL.

Some of the weapons handling leave a bit to be desired, but it is plausible.

Don't read it before bed and take your blood pressure meds before reading it. It follows the current news to a logical and believable conclusion that we all are concerned about.

ETA: 13 Hours was good.

Edited by High Exposure

About 50 pages into Ted Cruz book, "A Time For Truth".

One of my brother inlaws has read every candidates book. He's a Paul Rand guy but said after reading Cruz's book he would have no problem voting for Cruz.

So far very good read. His father had to Cuba as he had been discovered working with Castro to.overthrow the dictatorship government. After to America when Castro comes out as a Communist his father goes back every group that spoke at in support of Castro and apoligizes.

It's rather amazing how Cruz became heavily involved in pro market free groups, studied the Constitution intensely and essentially went on speech tours at such a early age (Freshman / Sophmore year in high school I beieve).

Looking forward to getting deeper imto it.

Here is the list of my most recently read books that I think many of you will enjoy and appreciate:

American Rifle: A Biography
By Alexander Rose

A very detailed, thoroughly researched and in-depth history of an American icon: the rifle. I found it to be a fascinating detailed explanation of the evolutionary progression of the rifle in this country’s history as our country developed, describing the nuances of each, along with the political reasons behind the success for some and failure of others. He gets into the details of metallurgy, Gunsmithing, improving technology for guns and ammunition and geopolitics affected progress. He explains how the gun industry was the first to introduce mass production into our industrial revolution, leading the way towards American economic supremacy. I recommend this book for gun buffs/collectors and others interested in learning the dynamic relationship between the rifle and this nation's history.

The Future of the Gun
By Frank Miniter

I found this book to be a worthy addition to the discussion about guns and our society. This book takes you where the main-stream media will not go - into the lives of the people who own, use, design, manufacture, and sell guns. Miniter offers up a well written, brief history of guns in America, explains the volatile and divisive politics of this issue and speculates on what the future might hold for firearms in this nation. It is an extremely compelling read. He also addresses and clarifies one of the biggest misconceptions that has and continues to be perpetrated by the gun control crowd: the all-encompassing label: "assault weapon". I was surprised to discover that there are currently more than 7,000 manufacturers producing firearms and/or ammunition these days. It comes as no surprise that gun manufacturers like Remington have been closing plants in deep blue states like Connecticut, New York and Colorado where they are no longer welcome and moving their operations to more gun-friendly places like Texas, North Carolina and Florida.

The author describes amazing breakthroughs waiting to happen in gun technology, as well as the challenges of the anti-gun forces. He gets into new technology that includes computer numerical controlled machines (CNC) that are making consistently top quality gun components. 3D printing is opening up whole new vistas that firearms manufacturers could have only dreamed of just a decade ago and explains how the advances in technology will make future guns smaller, lighter, more powerful and accurate.

The Second Amendment Primer: A Citizen's Guidebook to the History, Sources, and Authorities for the Constitutional Guarantee of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
By Les Adams

I was looking for and found this as a simple guide or primer to understanding the Second Amendment that is detailed and well documented. So much of the debate about the Second Amendment is in scholarly journals and academic papers written by scholars and judges, or directed towards other scholars, law professors, attorneys, and judges. It is chronologically arranged and traces the development of the right to keep and bear arms from its birth in ancient Greece to its addition in the U.S. Constitution. Supplemental essays discuss the Second Amendment’s interpretation in today’s world from the viewpoints of both firearms enthusiasts as well as those who would limit the amendment’s purview with their interpretation.

Gun Guys: A Road Trip
By Dan Baum

This has been for me the most interesting, entertaining and engrossing book on guns to date. It is the personal story and journey of discovery by one man, the author, who is a life-long gun guy who happens to be a Jewish Democrat who grew up in suburban New Jersey feeling like a "child of a bitter divorce with allegiance to both parents". In Gun Guys he grabs his CCW licensed handgun, initially a .38 Detective Special, to see what the armed lifestyle is about and hits the road to meet some of the 40 percent of Americans who own guns. His stories include meeting and interviewing all sorts of folks, from a couple who are 3-gun competition participants, to collectors of machine guns, to victims of gun violence. He also takes the reader to gun shows, gun stores, NRA headquarters and shooting ranges while trying to figure out why so many of us love these things and why they inspire such passions while also recognizing and addressing the highly polarized hysteria on the gun issue. Baum’s curiosity about guns and his passion for them pull you deep into this book and has produced an excellent written personal gun story.

“Taking participatory journalism to a debate that rivals abortion as a hot-button topic, he emerged with observations that need to be read by both sides of the highly polarized issue”
(Quote by Massad Ayoob, author and use-of-force instructor).

AVB-AMG

Closing in on first 100 pages of "The Creature from Jekyl Island: A Second Look At The Federal Reserve". It is an examination of The Federal Reserve from it's creation to whenever the book was last updated. It's 40th printing is this past year (2016] so should be very current.

Weighing in at close to 600 pages it's definitely not a light read. Looking forward to getting deeper into it. Person who recommemded it said it would "open my eyes". Considering I feel my eyes have been open somewhat since becoming a firearms owner I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing things even more clearly after finishing the book. Or maybe I'll wish I had just kept them shut?

I'm totally burned out for fiction. Read 5-6 novels during our last trip to the Outer Banks and that was that. Last two real books were a Mencken biography and We Are Doomed by Derbyshire. Slogging through Journey Through Genius (great theorems of math) but I was a lot smarter when I learned that stuff 50 years ago. I don't count the 9-10 books on chess, bridge, and radio on my night stand. 

Just finished "Into Thin Air," which the movie "Everest" was based on, the first person account of the 1996 Everest disaster. Fascinating.

Also read Bogle's "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" over the weekend. Eye opening for those of you who prefer to invest with actively managed mutual funds and individual stocks rather than using an index.

Recommend both.

Just finished "Into Thin Air," which the movie "Everest" was based on, the first person account of the 1996 Everest disaster. Fascinating.

Also read Bogle's "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" over the weekend. Eye opening for those of you who prefer to invest with actively managed mutual funds and individual stocks rather than using an index.

Recommend both.

Into thin air I read some time ago. Good read

Monster Hunter Memoir's:  Sinners.  The most recent book in the MHI universe.

The best part of the Monster Hunter books is that they are written and edited by Larry Correia and the two most recent by John Ringo.

Larry Correia is genuine gun enthusiast, a top shooting competitor, trainer and owned a gun shop at one point. John Ringo is ex military and writes great military fiction and science fiction.   Between the two of them, all the guns, ammo, bombs, grenades, and the like are authentically used.    No "hand me another clip for my .45 magnum long colt Barret, bolt action semi automatic pump."   A frequent refrain is how many mags they have to load before going on a job and how heavy they are.

• Like 1

Just downloaded this. Planning on starting it tonight.

Correia's other series are pretty good too - "Grimnoir Chrinicles" is cool and most especially "Dead 6/Sword of Exodus" for us gun people.

Even his new-ish fantasy series "Son of the Black Sword" is well written and interesting.

• Like 1

Just downloaded this. Planning on starting it tonight.

Correia's other series are pretty good too - "Grimnoir Chrinicles" is cool and most especially "Dead 6/Sword of Exodus" for us gun people.

Even his new-ish fantasy series "Son of the Black Sword" is well written and interesting.

I thought Son of Black Sword was great.  I've read all of the MHI books, and I was planning on getting around to the Chronicles books.  I've read EVERYTHING John Ringo has published.  He is far and away my favorite author,   Larry Correia is great as well.   Then there's Tom Krautman, David Drake, Davide Weber, on and on.  I enjoy military science fiction...Hammer's Slammers would crush ISIS in an hour, less if they didn't stop for lunch.

So if you haven't heard, the left is on a crusade to ban Milo's book.   Sarah Silverman and Judd Apatow are going full brownshirt(see here: http://heatst.com/politics/sarah-silverman-and-judd-apatow-join-movement-to-stop-publication-of-milos-book/), probably want to pile the books up and burn them in the square.

Anyway, another book that is a series of shorts, is out now and Milo wrote the forward.   The author's included here are a who's who list of the anti-PC brigade.   by Milo Yiannopoulos (Author), Tom Kratman (Author), Nick Cole (Author), Larry Correia (Author), Brad R. Torgersen (Author), John C. Wright (Author), Vox Day (Author), L. Jagi Lamplighter (Author), Sarah A. Hoyt (Author), Brian Niemeier (Author), A.M. Freeman (Author), Chromium Oxide (Author), E.J. Shumak (Author), Ray Blank (Author), Matthew Ward (Author), Joshua M. Young (Author), David Hallquist (Author), Pierce Oka (Author), Jane Lebak (Author), Cat Leonard (Illustrator), Jason Rennie (Editor)

This should be a nice stiff poke in the eye of SJW and SJW culture.  I bought it and will read as soon as I'm done with Sinners.

$5 on your Kindle...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LU9C4/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51OWVcDsUjL.jpg

I thought Son of Black Sword was great.  I've read all of the MHI books, and I was planning on getting around to the Chronicles books.  I've read EVERYTHING John Ringo has published.  He is far and away my favorite author,   Larry Correia is great as well.   Then there's Tom Krautman, David Drake, Davide Weber, on and on.  I enjoy military science fiction...Hammer's Slammers would crush ISIS in an hour, less if they didn't stop for lunch.

You might also like: How to make a Social Justice Warrior: On identitarianism, intersectionality, mobbing, racefail, and failfans by Will Shetterly. Free for Kindle at the moment.

Ted Koppel's "Lights Out" turned me onto William R. Forstchen's books about the devastation of the US by an EMP attack.

I just re-read "One Second After' and "One Year After" in prep for part 3 of the series " The Final Day", coming out any day now.

• Like 1