A girl I work with has a brother who has his fid card. He recently applied for his first permit to purchase and the Bayonne police went to his neighbor's house and started asking questions about him (if he lived there etc...no mention of guns). He didn't put the neighbor down as a reference. Is this normal for bayonne pd?

I think for my initial FID they did that but not since. Might be a one time thing when you first apply.

They contacted my neighbor a few times, but not every time.

Well maybe they should be educated on what the guidelines are, and what IS and IS NOT required and/or allowed..

everyone makes up their own little rules, it's all about job security my friend

Just be aware that "THEY" are on this forum.

Welcome, boys!

If you guys will look around--especially at some of the stickies regarding ACTUAL N.J. firearms laws, you'll have a frame of reference for how you're really supposed to handle the FID/P2P process.

Sincerely,

Scott ("the letter-writer") from Evergreen Street

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Are they merely doing the background investigation to verify that you live where you say you live--no mention of guns or anything of a personal/confidential nature.

Granted there are less intrusive and less costly ways to do this, but I do not see why it would not be allowed. It is not like they are asking you for additional references, or asking you extraneous questions.

Its mostly for verification i believe. Why take someone on what they put down. People dont always live where they say they do. I have no issues with fact checking. When they came for me they made no mention of firearms. I spoke with the same people they did.

Checking every so often seems fair. People may be hesitant to change their FID if they move because of how long ot could take.

checking for what?

does it really matter?

checking for what?

does it really matter?

Yeah, I don't get it. What's "fair" about it? It is unnecessary and not called for in any of the many onerous firearms ownership laws and regulations we already have to put up with in this state. Their time would be better spent expediting the existing process we have for FID/P2P, instead of wasting their time on fishing expeditions to people's homes, asking for two "neighborhood references" in addition to the two you have to provide with original application, and their insisting on mailing out a form letter to your employer, telling them that you have applied to purchase and own firearms.

Enough's enough, man.

If it took 2 weeks to get the address change then this wouldn't be a problem. When I moved in 08 it took 5 friggen months and they spent my first name wrong on the card. How can you spell R-A-Y-M-O-N-D wrong?

Back in the late 80's I lost my wallet in Jersey City. After replacing the DL, SS card, etc., I went down to police headquarters and told them I needed a replacement FID. The late Detective Joe Heaney brought me into BCI, took my prints, brought some paperwork to then-COP Tony Visone and sent me on my way with the duplicate card, which I still have to this day and which looks like my dog chewed on it. I don't care what it looks like as I am NEVER gonna put myself at the mercy of those guys down there nowadays. If all the information is the same, and all you would need to do is (possibly)) get new fingerprints, then why should it take any longer than it took Heaney to do it back in the day?

Yeah, I don't get it. What's "fair" about it? It is unnecessary and not called for in any of the many onerous firearms ownership laws and regulations we already have to put up with in this state. Their time would be better spent expediting the existing process we have for FID/P2P, instead of wasting their time on fishing expeditions to people's homes, asking for two "neighborhood references" in addition to the two you have to provide with original application, and their insisting on mailing out a form letter to your employer, telling them that you have applied to purchase and own firearms.

Enough's enough, man.

I really do not have a problem with the PD verifying the information I put on the form--assuming the form is legit. That being said, I think the whole process is ridiculous and probably unconstitutional. I don't fault the LPD for due dilligence--now there are far easier ways to verify where I live, but maybe Bayonne PD rolls old school. Residence verification seems like a minor inconvenience compared to fingerprinting and notarized release forms.

I just received a "character" reference for a friend and they ask "what kind of person is he?" What the heck kind of question is that? I really did not know what they were looking for, so I just put "U.S. Citizen" but I have not verified that. Then they ask if he has ever committed or been convicted of a crime. How am I supposed to know that? This is the Police asking me, shouldn't they know if the guy is a criminal? I just put that I do not know for everything else.