Neted

SWAT at NY Boat Show

Went to the boat show yesterday. Much smaller then any other I've ever attended. They had fully outfitted SWAT officers armed with assault rifles and helmets all in black patrolling the isles.

I like to feel safe but this seemed a little over the hill!

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If this was in the city the those guys are most likely Hercules units not ESU - what most people think of as NYPDs SWAT (strangely ESUs unofficial motto is "SWAT we're not" as SWAT type work is only a very small part of their duties)

Having Herc teams at a large public events like that is a typical show of force to give the impression that it is a secure venue.

If this was in the city the those guys are most likely Hercules units not ESU - what most people think of as NYPDs SWAT (strangely ESUs unofficial motto is "SWAT we're not" as SWAT type work is only a very small part of their duties)

Having Herc teams at a large public events like that is a typical show of force to give the impression that it is a secure venue.

Yea but we felt like we were walking through an airport in Syria! Was rather uncomfortable. And otherwise absolutely no other security was visible. I'm sure it was there though.

Ed

Yea but we felt like we were walking through an airport in Syria! Was rather uncomfortable. And otherwise absolutely no other security was visible. I'm sure it was there though.

Just wondering, why would LE with guns make you feel uncomfortable? What about regular people walking around carrying, CCW and Open Carry, would that make you feel uncomfortable also?

Just wondering, why would LE with guns make you feel uncomfortable? What about regular people walking around carrying, CCW and Open Carry, would that make you feel uncomfortable also?

Have you seen them qualify? :facepalm:

FLAME SUIT ON

Which brings up a rhetorical question....

Protect rich boat owners / buyers, (like me...LOL) but not our children in schools.

Secondly, why the hell do you need that security when NYC has the strictest gun laws in the country / world?

Secondly, why the hell do you need that security when NYC has the strictest gun laws in the country / world?

Hey Frank, maybe your on to something... I mean really, maybe they should make some laws on making it illegal to sell and do drugs, comit traffic violations, murder and a few other laws and they can save all that money on police and we can live happily ever after.. :facepalm:

Hey Frank, maybe your on to something... I mean really, maybe they should make some laws on making it illegal to sell and do drugs, comit traffic violations, murder and a few other laws and they can save all that money on police and we can live happily ever after.. :facepalm:

hd2000, here's your sarcasm recognition fail award. :rolleyes:

sarcasmmeter_zps2c546a2f.jpg

More like conditioning....ban guns... Have storm troopers in full load outs everywhere...welcome to police state 2013....I'm sure a lot have seen this as its been around a while...its over the top and playing into the conspiracy theory crowd...but it's a scary thought and with all the blatant bs being pushed in opposition of common sense...kinda make me wonder... Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8PnkeKmcZw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have never seen swat at a boat show before, Maybe someone important was showing up for the show, you know someone other than US.

Wonder if don is at the show, I will have to ask the boy if anything was mentioned when they setup for shelter cove marina.

They didn't look like LEOs they were in full combat gear!

Ed

Yeah, we got money and manpower to protect boating people, but to hell with the school children

Actually NYC is one of the few Cities that HAS armed security officers assigned to Public Schools I Believe

Actually NYC is one of the few Cities that HAS armed security officers assigned to Public Schools I Believe

Let me guess: in Bronx?

Actually the idea was heavily criticized by Bloomberg: Bloomberg: Armed Guards In Staten Island Schools Are A Terrible Idea “You’re never going to make everybody safe all the time,” he said.

Currently New York City public schools are guarded by unarmed "peace officers" who are part of the NYPD. They carry handcuffs and have the power to arrest and also are in direct radio contact with the police department. However, they do not wear bulletproof vests or guns. http://prospectheigh...-around-schools

I don't know SWAT or Hercules, but I've seen A LOT of paramilitary police presence around Ground Zero/Wall St in recent years. They used to have (maybe still have) few random checkpoints in that area - my car was pulled over few times: quick conversation, what why where, never attempted to search.

They were ESU i saw them at the boat show too. I was checking out his M4 .Looked like it needed some

optics , iron sites only

I would be very surprised of it was ESU and not a Hercules Unit that you saw. ESU doesn't have the manpower to stand a static security gig, they are way too busy doing other things and are stretched pretty thin already. What was described by the OP is right in the Herc Unit wheelhouse.

Did you see their shoulder patch? Did it have a fire truck like this?

6191128496e9e21bda705e3ee33961fc.jpg

Anyway, you could give him on optic, but he would probably put it on backwards anyway LOL!

af9e44741a2cc540af5ac6c8fb487541.jpg

Isn't there a Federal office in or near the JJ Center? I remember their being FBI officer or some such agency ther as well...

Sent from my iPad

I guess they cant all be top shots like ray

you know SOME cops in this area almost never shoot. They qualify and that's it. Your the exception. (although tomorrow we'll find out about your 12 gauge skills.)