hiker88

Slings...what are you guys using?

I have 1/2 point convertible slings from Tactical Link, and the Z360 mounts on all my carbines.

Allows you to switch back and forth between single and dual point configuration, repenting on your needs at the moment.

Nice gear.

I use a standard USMC 3 poi t sling on my rifle length AR.

I think a sling and a white light are the 2 most important pieces of gear you need on a fighting or HD long gun. In fact, I think they are necessities not accessories.

That being said, I despise 3 point slings, they offer ZERO advantages and are worthless IMO. Single point slings have some advantages, namely ease of weapon manipulation and switching shoulders, but also a lot of disadvantages for a fighting rifle - they dangle unsecured without a hand on the rifle, they hang low, and offer no support when shooting.

In my experience carrying a rifle for extended periods of time, the adjustable 2 point slings (VTAC VCAS or BFG VCAS) attached to your rifle in the right location are where it's at.

I run a BFG VCAS 2 point adjustable slings on all of my long guns. I like to keep both attachment points as close to the receiver/center of balance of the weapon as possible. This maximizes the adjustability of the sling, allows it to be cinched down tight to my chest or my back, with very little flopping around, in the event I need both hands for another task. The adjustable 2 point provides single point sling like ease of switching shoulders, the single point "quickness" when driving the rifle while still being able to snug it up for longer shots, and it provides uncluttered weapon manipulations (loading, clearing stoppages/malfunctions). It also lets you get into and out of asymmetrical/atypical shooting positions without fighting the rifle, your gear, or the sling just like a single point sling.

On an AR I keep it attached to the front of the receiver, at the rear of the rail on the strong side, and the rear of the receiver on the support side in a Tangodown PR4. Attaching the sling at the rear to the support side locks the rifle to your body during transitions by trapping the pistol grip against your chest. It also allows you to transition shoulders without having to drop your support arm out of the sling, or make any large adjustments on the slider. Best of both worlds.

I do not like the Magpul MS3 sling. It is innovative and has some neat features, but the sling is hard to adjust, uncomfortable, and I never use it in single point mode. I actually butchered my MS3 and used the hardware on a VCAS sling so I could use the VCAS with an ASAP plate and MOE MS3 sling mount. I like this option, but it is expensive buying 2 slings.

Edited by High Exposure

Two point padded BFG VCAS here. The quick adjust tab makes transitioning to the other shoulder a snap though not as fast as a single point. Personally, I'm not a fan of single point slings. Typically, when I sling a rifle, I'm on the line for 8-10 hours with 10 minute breaks every 90 minutes or so. A single point puts the weight of your rifle across one spot and induces fatigue and strain very quickly. In my last EAG class, there was one student with a single point sling. Mid-way through day one, he mentioned he was going to go find a better sling after we wrapped for the day. It was kind of funny he said that because in the middle of the no-light portion, his sling unraveled completely and Mr. Grumpy had to loan him one to finish the night.

Two point padded BFG VCAS here. The quick adjust tab makes transitioning to the other shoulder a snap though not as fast as a single point. Personally, I'm not a fan of single point slings. Typically, when I sling a rifle, I'm on the line for 8-10 hours with 10 minute breaks every 90 minutes or so. A single point puts the weight of your rifle across one spot and induces fatigue and strain very quickly. In my last EAG class, there was one student with a single point sling. Mid-way through day one, he mentioned he was going to go find a better sling after we wrapped for the day. It was kind of funny he said that because in the middle of the no-light portion, his sling unraveled completely and Mr. Grumpy had to loan him one to finish the night.

The "Lightbulb" that your equiment is sub-par or set up ineffeciently comes on over a lot of peoples heads in Uncle Pat's classes.

I will be attending my 6th EAG class at the end of January in Philly, and I am planning on at least one more this year. Great way to shake out your gear.

The "Lightbulb" that your equiment is sub-par or set up ineffeciently comes on over a lot of peoples heads in Uncle Pat's classes.

I will be attending my 6th EAG class at the end of the January in Philly, and I am planning on at least one more this year. Great way to shake out your gear.

"Learning has occurred"

Pat's an awesome instructor. We talked about slings extensively. He drove the point home that there's no free lunch. I was playing with the rear QD attachment point as I had a Noveske QD end plate plus the two QD points of the CTR stock but no matter where I positioned it, there was something that just didn't work so none of the three positions were "perfect". I ended up using the QD point in the CTR on the shooter's side of the rifle because when I transition to my pistol, I flip the rifle and trap it against my body to keep it from flopping around.

I think a single point with a single point along adapter is the most maneuverable sling to run. It's what I use personally. But I also have attachment points at the end of my stock and also right near where barrel meets the upper receiver. This allows for better range shooting while the single point allows for better combat type shooting. We ran single points in Iraq and Afghanistan

I am using the magpul ms3 pretty much exclusively. I can go from single point to two point depending on the situation. I would look around and see what works for you. There is a youtuber named maineprepper that is active military and he has a video on building your own "bungee sling" for cheap using webbing, surgical tubing, etc... Good for primary to support transitions and I bet you could modify it to be a 1/2 point sling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Urban ERT in a single point setup off my ACE Entry stock. I use the same sling on my Beretta CX4.

I run a MS3 on my 870 Police, which is my home defense gun. I leave it in two point, but can easily switch to single point. No interest in running one on my AR, but it is a very good sling.

To be honest, I prefer single point over two point...

Blue Forces Gear VCAS as well. I attach mine to my rifle similarly to High Exposure, with the two attachments as close to the center of balance as possible. The front QD mounts to the rear QD slot on the left-side of my Daniel Defense Omega rail. The rear QD is mounted to the right-side of my Tango Down PR-16A4 sling attachment (I have an old Sully stock on my rifle [has no QD slots]). I mount this way so that the rear attachment does not interfere with my cheek-weld, and so that when I transition strong to weak-side, or to my pistol, it just feels more natural.

The way I've always learned is that there are arguably only one or two situations where a rifle should ever "hang," and is the reason why I really avoid using that term when discussing slings, or using it as a criteria to judge a sling.

As with most things, anything designed to to everything rarely does it all well.

BFG makes quality kit and this sling works as advertised, but their VCAS is a class above in ease of use, comfort, and simplicity.

I have no experience with the MS4. I had an MS3 and I did not like it. As I stated, I butchered it to make a VCAS work more efficiently with Magpul sling attachment points.

Just a quick update, I ended up getting a magpul ms3 sling. Amazon had it on special for $ 35 shipped for a limited time. Quality is way better than a 2pt sling from Blackhawk on another rifle. The ms3 sling converts easily from 2pt to 1pt.