satrnfreak

Does anyone remember the news reporting police selling confiscated guns?

I vaguely remember over the summer, police being accused of selling confiscated guns illegally. Not sure if I am correct, but if you have info shoot me a link please. Just a topic of conversation as some departments from what I have read were actually think about legally doing this...

Thnx

There have been instances over the years of individuals stealing weapons fromevidence and the selling them.. As far as "Legally", I don't believe it's lawful for any NJ Agency to sell off any firearms. I recall when we first got our Glocks in 1992, we had to have a certification from the dealer who handled the transaction that any firearms we "traded in" had to be sold outside the US. IIRC all of our revolvers went to Somewhwere in europe, that werent purchased by officers..when we tradrd out Gen II Glocks for Gen III in IIRC 2006, they had the same stipulation..although there was no opportunity for us to buy our own then.

All things aside, is there any difference between police confiscating a car and auctioning it versus auctioning a gun?

In my eyes I do not.

it USED to be pretty common for stuff, including firearms to be auctioned off once any cases were Adjudicated..outside of NJ, I'm sure that still happens

Lawmen supply it been selling police trade-in guns for the past 10+ years. Recently they had sig p226's from the Edison PD

There have been instances over the years of individuals stealing weapons fromevidence and the selling them.. As far as "Legally", I don't believe it's lawful for any NJ Agency to sell off any firearms. I recall when we first got our Glocks in 1992, we had to have a certification from the dealer who handled the transaction that any firearms we "traded in" had to be sold outside the US. IIRC all of our revolvers went to Somewhwere in europe, that werent purchased by officers..when we tradrd out Gen II Glocks for Gen III in IIRC 2006, they had the same stipulation..although there was no opportunity for us to buy our own then.

Lawmen supply it been selling police trade-in guns for the past 10+ years. Recently they had sig p226's from the Edison PD

it's possible they changed things...All I know is that at the times I was involved with the trade-ins with my Dept, lawman was told they couldnt sell Our guns in the US. At the time we were told it was an AG directive..since there have been a few since then it wouldnt surprise me to see changes..at least that one is for the Good. Hell I Wish i'd been given the opportunity to buy my gun when I retired..it's not like they needed it since we had about 30 spares between the normal inventory of "Just in case" guns and the ones from the rest of the guys who retired.

This brings up a related question: if someone's guns get confiscated on suspicion, which is then proven to be incorrect (the person was innocent), how long does it take to actually get your guns back? I've heard rumors it's a nightmare of red tape and waiting?