Sign in to follow this  
cigarsnscotch

Mossberg 500 (had an issue); need some insight/help

I purchased a Mossberg 500 Cruiser this past Friday. It has a 5+1 capacity and accepts 2 3/4 and 3" shells. So today I took a trip to my parents house to do some shooting out in the back woods and test my new shotgun out. Here's my issue:

I could not get any more than 1 shell in the chamber and 2 in the tube (for a total of 3). It seemed that once I got the first shell in, racked it, the inserted the next two, if I tried to insert a third the shell seemed to stop. I couldn't figure it out but i didn't mess with it. I just shot a box like that.

this is the first shotgun of my own so I was wondering if you more knowledgeable folks could lend some thoughts or assistance as to why this might have happened?

There is probably a plug in the magazine tube. For hunting in NJ a shotgun can not be capable of holding more than 3 shells. You can remove the plug by unscrewing the cap nut at the end of the magazine tube and CAREFULLY remove the spring retainer. You can then dump the plug out, reinsert spring and retainer then screw the cap back on.

Thanks folks for the help, it worried me but I knew I could find an answer here. I'm going to check out that link when I get home.

And to answer the what kind of cigars and scotch question:

Olivia V

Rocky Patel Vintage '90

CAO anniversary Maduro

Pardon

Macallan

Laphroig

Any glen will do

Some of my fav's. I smoke a bunch of diff. Cigars though.