JoeTK37

PPQ on the Way!!!!!!

OK, thats really all I've got for now. First firearm purchase and I'm psyched to get the call to go pick it up, felt great in hand versus a few other models I was considering(and no a Glock wasn't one of them). Once in a while I like something a little out of the norm so the Walther fit that bill pretty well. And since its the first firearm of any kind I'll have shot in 20 or so years I figure the quick reset trigger and 1st gen paddle mag release won't be all that difficult to get used to. Looking forward to report back soon

Awesome selection, though you aren't too far away from a glock (at least one with a trigger job).

So here is my suggestion, I have owned one for over a year and it is awesome, but (there is always a but, isn't there?) after about 300 rounds through it, the guide rod broke. It is a cheap two piece plastic guide rod. Spend the extra cash and get a steel guide rod. I got mine from bt guide rods (http://btguiderods.com/category/walther/p99-ppq/). Bill is awesome, and the guide rod with the factory spring is fantastic.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Buy the Magnum Research magazines - they are identical for use and much cheaper. I believe the specific model to go for if 9mm is Baby Eagle MAGFA915 mags.

Check on the Walther Forum or search this forum for my prior PPQ posts.

hth

TheWombat

Buy the Magnum Research magazines - they are identical for use and much cheaper. I believe the specific model to go for if 9mm is Baby Eagle MAGFA915 mags.

hth

TheWombat

Wow. I expected at least 3 lengthy paragraphs from you. :laugh:

Thanks Wombat, it's your fault, errr...... I hold you responsible ;) for choosing a PPQ. Read your reviews on here and that sealed the deal. I can't wait to pick it up, and I was fortunate to get the paddle mag release. Buttons are boring

:-)

You won't be disappointed. Just take it easy at first so you don't do an accidental double tap....

TheWombat

hth

TheWombat

That's affirmative. Baby Eagle mags work. That's what my friend runs through it. Not a prob. I'm jealous. I want one.

If anyone is interested, as of early last week, RTSP still had 2 left in stock. I know because I put a deposit down for my 2nd PPQ! It hasn't been a month yet since my initial PPQ purchase, so I need to wait for the 30 days to clear first.

In my opinion, currently the best polymer gun out of the box today. All it really needs are a better pair of sights, and maybe stippling on the grips if you want a more aggressive texture. In fact, the frame of the PPQ I have now is out for a stippling job currently. Can't wait to get it back! Then just gotta wait for the 10-8 sights to become available.

I just hope that Walther decides to keep the current version with the Euro style paddle mag release available. That's kind of why I rushed out to get a 2nd one so soon...I was afraid that soon, only the American button style mag release would be an option on the M2.

I got to the range this morning for the first time(ever). Put 100rds through the PPQ all too quickly. Here I was thinking 100rds would last me an hour.......if I made it 35 min it was probably a lot. Gun functioned flawlessly. I shot pretty slowly and deliberately(ZERO rapid fire etc), I was impressed with the accuracy inside 10yds(def due the the firearm and not me). Spent time getting used to the functions of the slide, mag release and trigger. And spent the first ten minutes not jumping out of my shoes every time I heard a pop in neighboring stalls.

I'm really happy with my purchase. I have no piece for comparison as this is my first firearm. That said, the gun is comfortable to hold, easy to aim, shoots where its aimed(thats a plus right), field strips with ease, had zero malfunctions and is pretty addicting. Mostly, after the first "POP" the intimidation went away and things became a lot more natural and comfortable. I chose the 9mm over the 40S&W because of the price per round(in a range gun I want to be able to shoot a decent amount) and reduced recoil. Actually, it almost felt like there was no recoil felt by my strong hand, there was muzzle rise, but didn't feel like a sting or a kick to my palm at all. I need to work on my grip, maybe change grip size to get my weak hand better situated but I couldn't believe how comfortable it was to shoot.

So far so good, I'll try to get back later this week for a few hundred more rounds. But now I'm kind of addicted and thinking about what to buy next.

Okay, finally got around to snapping some pics. Why is this "hobby" so freaking addicting? I've certainly found a good way to kill time until golf season starts.

250 rounds through so far with no issues what so ever. Looks like its time for the first cleaning too:)

PICT1065-1_zpsfb5fee75.jpg

PICT1064-1_zpsca780eb3.jpg

PICT1063-1_zps99784181.jpg

PICT1062-1_zps06f6ba3c.jpg

Spend the extra cash and get a steel guide rod. I got mine from bt guide rods (http://btguiderods.c...alther/p99-ppq/). Bill is awesome, and the guide rod with the factory spring is fantastic.

Just a heads-up. If you have any inkling of trying your hand at IDPA, with your new toy, you need to maintain the stock guide rod. Guide rods heaver than OE are verboten. Of course if you try IDPA, you will totally forget about golf season.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just a heads-up. If you have any inkling of trying your hand at IDPA, with your new toy, you need to maintain the stock guide rod. Guide rods heaver than OE are verboten. Of course if you try IDPA, you will totally forget about golf season.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It is like you read my mind. I was going to search for info on starting in competitive shooting, idpa, three gun, etc... Where do you start in NJ?

It is like you read my mind. I was going to search for info on starting in competitive shooting, idpa, three gun, etc... Where do you start in NJ?

Read the stickies in the Competition section of the forum. Then go to the IDPA website and browse around. Download the rulebook and familiarize yourself with it. Then go to a shoot. With Easton F&G starting up again in March, I'll be attempting to do four matches a month. USPSA at Shongum / IDPA at Phillipsburg / IDPA at Somerset / IDPA at Easton on consecutive weekends. Old Bridge will soon be starting IDPA again also. May or may not conflict with P-burg, depends on what day they shoot. P-burg is a Saturday. If OB is a Sunday there will be an opportunity to do back-to-back matches that weekend.

Most people that go just to observe, usually wish they had shot from the git-go. There are usually new shooter orientations before each match. IDPA is easier to get started in and is lower in cost, overall, than USPSA. All you need is a holster of the approved configuration (Blade-Tech makes one for the PPQ) and three magazines with a means to carry two on your belt. Entry fees and round counts are usually less than USPSA - not a knock, I enjoy shooting them both, but prefer IDPA.

Any questions you can post them up here - start a new thread in the Comp section or PM me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob