instantgratification

South Jersey checking in (Willingboro)

Hey njgf names al,

I'm from South Jersey particularly Burlington County. I've lurked on here for the past month or so and have learned quite a bit in that short amount of time. I am not new to guns and have been firing/practicing gun safety since I was young. I am however waiting on my F.I.D and two pistol purchase permits. I've only had a memberhsip to R.A.F (Ready Aim Fire) in Bristol, Pa and have been satisfied with them. I'm here to learn as much as possible as well as hurry up and wait. :locomotive:

Haha wow thanks for the welcome. I have a few questions for some of the seasoned members here they can be yes or no but an explanation would be much appreciated.

-Currently 103 days

- When originally submitting my paperwork my municpality (Willingboro) gave me my character reference forms to give to each of my references. Could this delay my process?

-Do I have to speak directly to the clerk/secretary although she handles the permits? Can I possibly contact a detective or the chief of police? I just don't want to step on any toes but I am getting frustrated with my township

-Currently 103 days

Way too long but something that does happen, not right, and being fought, but it still happens.

- When originally submitting my paperwork my municpality (Willingboro) gave me my character reference forms to give to each of my references. Could this delay my process?

Did your references fill out the forms and send them back?

-Do I have to speak directly to the clerk/secretary although she handles the permits? Can I possibly contact a detective or the chief of police? I just don't want to step on any toes but I am getting frustrated with my township

You can speak to anyone you wish, and I would speak to everyone until I had what I wanted, just be nice, and start off asking if your references were returned, if there is anything you can do to help speed up the process. Io usually do that at the 2 week mark in my town, just to show I am still out there, and that I am not to be forgotten.

Now after you speak with the clerk and detective and if they don't give you a good response or brush you off, speak with the chief, again if not getting info, talk to the Mayor. Also NJSP Firearms Unit as well as the NJ2AS to let them know being they are one of our most active groups locally working fix things.

Keep us posted and what type of responses you received.

thanks for the quick response hd! I may have worded my first question wrong.

My PD trusted me to give my references their forms and letters have them fill them out and return them along with the other standard forms for submission.

To my understanding this is completely opposite of what is normal so I'm wondering is this delaying me?

My references have also not been contacted.

Ok that is great advice.

I have only contacted the clerk/secretary so far and she has been less than helpful with a personal agenda and bad attitude.

I will try contacting her office once again then I will try contacting one of the detectives then chief if no luck.

I will also look into the NJ2AS program since so many people I have spoken to reccomend I join.

Ok, cool, as far as the reference letters, at least you know they have them and I doubt that would be holding you us but a quick question to them if there is more from the references they need is still pending or not would clear that up.

Keep us posted, and also, check out the compliance thread (Data Collection Thread) IIRC, and maybe someone from your town posted info on how it went for them in the mean time.

thanks rifleman!

@ hd thanks. I posted my township information yesterday in the compliancy thread so hopefully someone chimes in.

update: I called the secretary desk early this morning with no answer again. My phone call(s) haven't been returned all week unless she's been on vacation. I'm going to try contacting a detective next.

sidenote: I know I come off as paranoid and impatient hence the screename but I believe I speak for all gun applicants in NJ when I say I've waited long enough

thanks for the welcomes guys!

heres my update:

107 days since submission @ Willingboro PD

I planned on going to my municipal building at 9am sharp yesterday but unfortunately that didn't happen.

I did manage to make it there later on in the afternoon.

I decided not to waste my time calling numbers as it seems to have gone nowhere. I did however manage to speak to the clerk/secretary and once again she was very unhelpful.

I asked if my references have been contacted or the status of my F.I.D. and permits. She reiterated that it was not a priority in the police department and that she only recieved the documents when they were approved and completed. I brought up the 30 day statute only to be swat down as they don't follow that procedure.

I asked if she could point me towards someone more knowledgeable and she was unable to do that. She was however willing to take my information AGAIN to forward to the Captain and I would recieve a call by the end of this week.

I'm doubtful that will happen but if I don't hear from them after friday it's looking like I'll have to show up again and ask to speak to the captain directly. I just can't stand it when I have to pester someone or ask someone to do THEIR job. I certainly do my job as a law abiding citizen and go through the proper channels to obtain a firearm yet the people in charge can't?

Taking that 15 minute drive to Camden is sooooo enticing right now.

end rant update/

Hello all! My names Josh, new to the forum, and a newer member of the township being discussed in this thread. I have a very similar dilemma to yours Instantgratification, and it may make you feel a little better but at the same time I doubt it.

I am a former resident of a directly neighboring town to Willingboro, which is where a few years ago I painlessly obtained my F.I.D. card as well as pistol permits. The entire process from start to finish took approximately 6 weeks. Their policy was to actually conduct interviews with the detective once all paperwork was completed, and initially that pissed me off but i have to tell you the officers, different ones which i met on different occasions for pistol permits at different times, were extremely friendly, did not give me the slightest impression of any unwillingness to process the papers, and just overall i left very confident and felt like i was treated with dignity and respect. The "interviews" were basically an appt in which the dectective quickly reviewed my paperwork to ensure i filled them out properly, couple random questions (nothing like "so why do you want to own a gun"), and then basically described the fingerprinting process and see ya later. So overall it was a very smooth and fast process.

Fast forward to the beginning of oct 2012, after moving into Willingboro, having to complete the entire process again with the exception of fingerprinting. Backgrounds, references, mental health, the whole shibang. As well as their "policy" to confiscate your current FID card upon submission of the paperwork. I should have followed many others advice and told them i lost it in the move, but being a stand up guy with nothing to hide, and giving the dept the benefit of the doubt, I reluctantly gave it to them in the hopes that it could possibly make the process easier. They gave me a photo copy of my card only after i pressed the secretary for it, however i had already done so myself at home for my own records/protection, but i just wanted something from the dept itself. I asked for it on letterhead but she dismissed that request rudely and copied on typical paper. She then informed me that it would be at least 3 months before anyone would even have a chance to look at my paperwork!!!!!! so basically it was like a go f yourself for three months just cause we can. My jaw almost hit the floor, but i composed myself and rather than make a scene, I left and figured hey you never know cant take that long its just an address change. She had also informed me they would contact the local pd i moved from and would have to wait till the records were forwarded to them.

I know in this state of ours local pd pretty much make their own rules when it comes to firearms. Anyways, its been 107 days since submission of completed paperwork, mind you for a simple address change to a FID card i had already legally obtained, and a day after Obamas speech on guns I was ready to make a call to check the status. My extreme politeness got me nowhere with the secretary, and as soon as i pressed for the detectives name and number who was working on my app her rudeness became apparent, telling me it doesnt matter who I call it wont make a difference. She told me she doesnt have the info of who is working on my papers, and said contact the chief if you have a problem. I guess she thought that would scare me. She also asked why i need the card, for a job? I told her no its something ive legally obtained already, and we are talking about a simple address change to which she sarcastically said "nothing is easy anymore ". Once again I took the high road, thanked her for her time and hung up.

I apologize for the long winded post but I figured I'd let you know youve got someone else int he same boat dealing with the same bs, and figured id highlight the drastic differences between two neighboring departments. Willingboro is obviously unwilling to cooperate and could care less about the rights of its residents. I havent decided which steps to take next, I'm not interested in blowing the bullhorn like im some gun crazed lunatic who needds his guns, but mind you we are talking about an address change for Godds sake. no permits. Its become a matter of principle and ive given them ample time to complete their investigation, and my references havent even been contacted yet. ... frustrated

Hello all! My names Josh, new to the forum, and a newer member of the township being discussed in this thread. I have a very similar dilemma to yours Instantgratification, and it may make you feel a little better but at the same time I doubt it.

I am a former resident of a directly neighboring town to Willingboro, which is where a few years ago I painlessly obtained my F.I.D. card as well as pistol permits. The entire process from start to finish took approximately 6 weeks. Their policy was to actually conduct interviews with the detective once all paperwork was completed, and initially that pissed me off but i have to tell you the officers, different ones which i met on different occasions for pistol permits at different times, were extremely friendly, did not give me the slightest impression of any unwillingness to process the papers, and just overall i left very confident and felt like i was treated with dignity and respect. The "interviews" were basically an appt in which the dectective quickly reviewed my paperwork to ensure i filled them out properly, couple random questions (nothing like "so why do you want to own a gun"), and then basically described the fingerprinting process and see ya later. So overall it was a very smooth and fast process.

Fast forward to the beginning of oct 2012, after moving into Willingboro, having to complete the entire process again with the exception of fingerprinting. Backgrounds, references, mental health, the whole shibang. As well as their "policy" to confiscate your current FID card upon submission of the paperwork. I should have followed many others advice and told them i lost it in the move, but being a stand up guy with nothing to hide, and giving the dept the benefit of the doubt, I reluctantly gave it to them in the hopes that it could possibly make the process easier. They gave me a photo copy of my card only after i pressed the secretary for it, however i had already done so myself at home for my own records/protection, but i just wanted something from the dept itself. I asked for it on letterhead but she dismissed that request rudely and copied on typical paper. She then informed me that it would be at least 3 months before anyone would even have a chance to look at my paperwork!!!!!! so basically it was like a go f yourself for three months just cause we can. My jaw almost hit the floor, but i composed myself and rather than make a scene, I left and figured hey you never know cant take that long its just an address change. She had also informed me they would contact the local pd i moved from and would have to wait till the records were forwarded to them.

I know in this state of ours local pd pretty much make their own rules when it comes to firearms. Anyways, its been 107 days since submission of completed paperwork, mind you for a simple address change to a FID card i had already legally obtained, and a day after Obamas speech on guns I was ready to make a call to check the status. My extreme politeness got me nowhere with the secretary, and as soon as i pressed for the detectives name and number who was working on my app her rudeness became apparent, telling me it doesnt matter who I call it wont make a difference. She told me she doesnt have the info of who is working on my papers, and said contact the chief if you have a problem. I guess she thought that would scare me. She also asked why i need the card, for a job? I told her no its something ive legally obtained already, and we are talking about a simple address change to which she sarcastically said "nothing is easy anymore ". Once again I took the high road, thanked her for her time and hung up.

I apologize for the long winded post but I figured I'd let you know youve got someone else int he same boat dealing with the same bs, and figured id highlight the drastic differences between two neighboring departments. Willingboro is obviously unwilling to cooperate and could care less about the rights of its residents. I havent decided which steps to take next, I'm not interested in blowing the bullhorn like im some gun crazed lunatic who needds his guns, but mind you we are talking about an address change for Godds sake. no permits. Its become a matter of principle and ive given them ample time to complete their investigation, and my references havent even been contacted yet. ... frustrated

Thanks for sharing your experience Jonesey!

I didn't mind the word fortress too much.. :p

We sound very similar in demeanor and it seems we have a similar experience with this PD and I believe we dealt with the same

rude secretary.

I was actually just about to update my experience with Willingboro PD.

109 Days

I received a call from the Captain at the PD a few moments ago. I will admit I was surprised at the initial call but not at the information given.

-Was told to wait 4 more weeks

- the reason the process was delayed is due to short staffing and rise in violent crime with emphasis on armed robberies

I followed the rules now so should they no excuses!

*For the record the Police Captain did answer my questions to the best of his knowledge and was very polite in addressing me. That did put me somewhat at ease and prove me wrong that everyone who works there has their own personal agenda.

Thanks for sharing your experience Jonesey!

I didn't mind the word fortress too much.. :p

Sorry about that, I was so eager to post a reply I confess I didnt see and read the posting rules until after I posted. Glad I didnt fully articulate myself, however wish there was an edit feature! lesson learned, Mods please forgive! :sorry:

I received a call from the Captain at the PD a few moments ago. I will admit I was surprised at the initial call but not at the information given.

-Was told to wait 4 more weeks

- the reason the process was delayed is due to short staffing and rise in violent crime with emphasis on armed robberies

I followed the rules now so should they no excuses!

*For the record the Police Captain did answer my questions to the best of his knowledge and was very polite in addressing me. That did put me somewhat at ease and prove me wrong that everyone who works there has their own personal agenda.

Im happy to hear the Captain returned your calls and addressed the delays/concerns. Although citing the reasons he did doesnt

exactly make me feel so warm and fuzzy about my new home community! At the same time I have to wonder if certain institutions

are waiting/delaying/stalling to see what will become of Obamas new "proposals" before they take any further actions on peoples

paperwork and applications. Citing such a rise in violent crime and armed robberies you would think they would move faster to protect a citizens

right to obtain a firearm and protect themselves and their family from such a rise in occurance, ya know? I understand the logic of

detectives being so busy, but the logic of denying you the right to purchase for another month in the face of such a " risingviolent

crime"statistic sounds ridiculous. wish you luck with the rest of the process! I hope you have your permits and card well before the 4 weeks he

quoted you and this issue will hopefully be resolved!

Hey njgf I have a quick question, is there a way to verify my background applicant status with njsp? If so, is there a number I can contact?

I'm about to go speak with the police captain of my municipality in a short while and I would like to be prepared as possible. I figure having any and every possible piece of information in regards to my permits and I.D. would help. I've heard of townships claiming they're waiting on the state to return the background check so I want to be covered in all aspects.

unimportant side note: I hold a DoD clearance and receiving that took less amount of time.

Minor update:

I went to the police department once again today after little success yesterday making no further progress.

Today the captain was off or unavailable so I opted to speak to his secretary which is the same woman I dealt with prior.

I was told to leave a note AGAIN and it would be placed on the captains desk. When I tried to explain that the delay of my permits or I.D. was unacceptable I was given the bs line that murders, crimes, thefts blah blah all take precedence.

Fed up I decide to contact the senator for my district (#7) which is Diane Allen. I spoke directly with her director regarding my issue and was informed that I need to give consent for the senator to contact my municipality on my behalf. I am currently composing an email as I type this with hopes that my issue will be heard.

Minor update:

I went to the police department once again today after little success yesterday making no further progress.

Today the captain was off or unavailable so I opted to speak to his secretary which is the same woman I dealt with prior.

I was told to leave a note AGAIN and it would be placed on the captains desk. When I tried to explain that the delay of my permits or I.D. was unacceptable I was given the bs line that murders, crimes, thefts blah blah all take precedence.

Fed up I decide to contact the senator for my district (#7) which is Diane Allen. I spoke directly with her director regarding my issue and was informed that I need to give consent for the senator to contact my municipality on my behalf. I am currently composing an email as I type this with hopes that my issue will be heard.

Good luck, I hope it gets you somewhere.

BTW, To the guy that had the chief talk about armed robberies in the area, you should have asked him if the bad guys are waiting 100 plus days to get their permits?