SL8R

New gun, what else do I need? Holster?

I'm purchasing a 4inch Ruger GP100 for my first gun and hopefully should have it in hand by the end of next week. I went and bought a few things in anticipation of its arrival.

I already have:

Snap caps

Hi-Vis front sight

Hoppes cleaning kit

A boresnake

3 Safariland speedloaders

Allen gun rug/case

A range bag

Eyes and Ears

I like the idea of getting a holster, and I liked the way the Bianchi Accumold 7000 looked, but I don't see any real need for one. I can't think of anywhere I'd be able to use it. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for anything else I might need.

IMO, there are 3 main reasons why people get a holster. 1, for competition. 2, for training at the range, and 3, CCW/just to have one in case you need it.

If I were you, I'd get one even if you don't plan on using it right now. Who knows, you may end up shooting comp or training with it.

Also, I would start putting most of your money into ammo. I'm guessing your GP is .357/.38sp, so if I were you, I'd start buying a few thousand rounds if money is available.

A holster is a must. Not that you'll be able to use it at shore shot, but for dry fire practice at home it's a valuable tool. I mean, where are you going to put the gun while you load up mags with snap caps...in the pouch of your hoodie? Your back pocket? You want a holster. I've got inexpensive belt loop uncle mikes kydex holsters that fit the bill for our usuage including USPSA, IDPA and Steel. More expensive blade tech offset holsters may be in our future, for comfort. I'm also considering a paddle holster for self defense situations, so that I could put it on even with just PJ's and have two free hands plus the firearm with me, rather than having to carry it. You want a holster. You need a holster. And while your at it get a double magazine pouch.

Do you have a gun safe, or other means so secure the gun when not being used?

Targets?

Extra Magazines? The more the merrier.

How about a better range? Have you looked into Central Jersey or Old Bridge? You'll enjoy yourself much more at either of those places than at Shore Shot.

Welcome to the sport.

I don't really know much about competition, I imagine I'd hear more about that if I joined a private range. I think it could be something I'd like to try down the road. I'm not a particularly good shot... yet :p . I'd like to check out CJRPC at some point, and I figure if I did join a range like that I would probably get a holster as I'd get more use out of it.

A holster is a must. Not that you'll be able to use it at shore shot, but for dry fire practice at home it's a valuable tool. I mean, where are you going to put the gun while you load up mags with snap caps...in the pouch of your hoodie? Your back pocket? You want a holster. I've got inexpensive belt loop uncle mikes kydex holsters that fit the bill for our usuage including USPSA, IDPA and Steel. More expensive blade tech offset holsters may be in our future, for comfort. I'm also considering a paddle holster for self defense situations, so that I could put it on even with just PJ's and have two free hands plus the firearm with me, rather than having to carry it. You want a holster. You need a holster. And while your at it get a double magazine pouch.

Do you have a gun safe, or other means so secure the gun when not being used?

Targets?

Extra Magazines? The more the merrier.

How about a better range? Have you looked into Central Jersey or Old Bridge? You'll enjoy yourself much more at either of those places than at Shore Shot.

Welcome to the sport.

I'm covered on a safe, its not a gun safe specifically but a sentry fire safe that will fit the revolver in a case. Mags aren't an issue for the GP100, but I did pick up 3 speedloaders and a belt pouch that holds two of them.

IMO, there are 3 main reasons why people get a holster. 1, for competition. 2, for training at the range, and 3, CCW/just to have one in case you need it.

If I were you, I'd get one even if you don't plan on using it right now. Who knows, you may end up shooting comp or training with it.

Also, I would start putting most of your money into ammo. I'm guessing your GP is .357/.38sp, so if I were you, I'd start buying a few thousand rounds if money is available.

Ammo is definitely on the list. That was the one promise I had to make to my wife before she gave the approval for purchasing the gun, I had to buy a lot of ammo to go with it. :D

If you have a gun, you need a safe. End of story. Get a gun safe. This one should fit your pistol just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200-NanoVault-Style-Pistols/dp/B00384755S/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1358064697&sr=1-4&keywords=gunvault+safe

That being said, you should get a holster. I know that we don't have CCW in this state, but in a Hurricane Sandy type situation, if you feel the need to walk around your house with a gun, you at least have that option. You don't have that option without a holster. I taken to Fobus Paddle Holsters lately. They are of excellent quality, keep the gun secure, and slide on and off your body with ease.

Post some pics when you get it. Enjoy the gun and have fun.

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/RUGER_GP100_EVOLUTION_PADDLE_HOLSTER-702-0.html

Training. Everything else is secondary.

How you go about obtaining training is up to you. You can take classes, you can ask an experienced shooter to help you along, you can get involved in competitive shooting and ask those people to help you, but some form of training should be you next priority.

This isn't just about safety, although that is a big part, it also about being competent with your firearm and avoiding ingraining bad habits early on, once you do that they are hard to get rid off.

And training also means ammo.

I live in Union Beach (sort of, Hazlet currently.. F'n storm) and I'm NRA Certified Pistol.. if you want we can meet up and go over the firearm when you get, you and your wife so shes more comfortable.. (assuming she isnt)

Get a gun safe, plenty of ammo, and take a NRA first steps class with the Mrs. if funds allow. Make sure you ead the instruction manual too. As silly as that sounds it has helped me avoid an "oops" moment a few times. Of course that was learned after not reading it and having a few "oops" moments. :D

One more warning. If you are married, get a bigger safe. Once your wife realizes the safe is there she will start keeping valuables in it and you will lose half your space.

Also note that one gun becomes 10 very quickly once you catch the bug.

Good to have another wheel gun fan added to NJGF! Great choice of firearm there. It's at the top of my list for my next purchase.

As noted in the above replies: training, LOTS of ammo, a safe and a good comfortable holster are all things you'll need to take care of next. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

A lot of great advice. You guys have confirmed my thinking that I need a bigger safe. I have a second p2p which I'll be using next month, and my eyes on a 10/22 and eventually a Mossberg 500. I'll need one big enough for all of those at some point, might as well just get it now instead of continually upgrading. I've been a member at shore shot for the last year, so I am familiar with guns, but I think I'm going to go to GFH for basic and get everything done for a Florida CCW. I did place a large order for ammo yesterday, I can see that this is going to be an expensive hobby.

If you are going to stick with revolvers, consider a .22 revolver for your next gun. You'll spend a lot less on ammo and have just as much fun.

I think a Glock 19 is next. Either that or a CZ-75. Either way I'll look to get a .22 LR conversion kit for that exact reason.

I hear that, but its been such a pain in the balls to get the paperwork to go through. I like the idea of being able to cover two calibers with one p2p.

It's nice but it's even nicer to have a second gun. While there are kits that work well, I would still rather have a separate 22LR pistol. 22LR pistols can be finicky to start with, and conversion kits can make the gun even that much more finicky.

Plus when you can get a 22LR pistol for a very reasonable price, it's just hard to not get one.

You only want to buy 1 in your lifetime, MkII or III and you have one. You like 1911's, take a look at the GSG 1911-22.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's nice but it's even nicer to have a second gun. While there are kits that work well, I would still rather have a separate 22LR pistol. 22LR pistols can be finicky to start with, and conversion kits can make the gun even that much more finicky.

Plus when you can get a 22LR pistol for a very reasonable price, it's just hard to not get one.

You only want to buy 1 in your lifetime, MkII or III and you have one. You like 1911's, take a look at the GSG 1911-22.

He's right. Submit 3 more paper work now & wait it out. What would you rather have, a lightweight 22 conversion that feels like a toy? Or a solid bull barrel kicka55 stainless steel ruger mark III ? Beware, watch some youtube of the Ruger 22s. It's a bit tricky to dissemble. Myself? I would get a kicka55 22 revolver from ruger sp101 or smith 63