Wojo

Expanding into Lead Casting

I have been reloading for 10+ years and have decided to explore casting my own bullets. I am looking to run appx 150gr / 170 gr 308's, 200/230 45 ACP, 158 38/357.

Any suggestions on molds, melting pots, etc.? I am aware of the limitations and the use of gas checks, but before I start dropping some coin, I figured I would get some guidance from those who have already been down this path.

Thanks

I tend to do a lot of research before jumping into things. I read with a high-lighter in my hand and sticky-notes at the ready. Being a former helicopter / gas turbine mechanic, I like to do things right the first time and minimize the learning curve via research. Hence me investigating pennies and novice metal-smithing...LOL.

I don't cast my own, but like Nick said wear some kind of respirator. Doesn't matter if you have great ventilation, if you're working close to lead wear a respirator, gloves, face shield (in case of lead splashing), and apron. Lead exposure is no joking matter.

Also antimony will make a harder lead alloy. I'd look up exact measurements when or if you start casting your own rifle bullets.

Oh, I'm getting into this. My reference book list and equipment list are developing. This is one of my last areas I want to have in place before the big Crunch. I want to buy the right (quality) things for time around that will last.

A big question for me is the aluminum molds...costs are low, but are they really that prone to damage?

And what type / brand of electric furnace? I am leaning towards the bottom pour types in lieu of open top.

As a backup, what kind of melting pot can I stick into a wood burning stove?

Aluminum molds can warp if you don't heat them evenly. That's not to say they are bad, but don't put the corner of it in your pot to heat it up like you will see some people saying they do. The best thing is to run about a dozen bullets though your mold before you save any for actual use.

I have a Lee bottom pour production pot, I like it.

Yes. Lee bottom pour pot is great. I've casted a few thousand rounds as a beginner with great results. YouTube has some exceptional videos on how to properly heat up tools and ingots before use. I also learned how to reclaim range lead from YouTube.

An exploding pot of molten lead is a scary thing. I was lucky and it literally exploded around me and left me untouched. Dipper was cold.

The lee molds are available on eBay and are pretty decent. Try to stay away from the larger capacity molds as they are harder to open and take longer to heat up. They also don't line up and close as nicely as the normal molds. That was my experience.

Depending on the mold, you will then need to size the castings.

Thanks for all the input so far. Any of this will be done far from the house in the car-port behind my garage. Agreed, if you are that close working with molten metals, proper eye / respiration / burn protection needs to be in place.

I have some lead laying around, mixture of sinkers, tire weights and some preformed ingots. I guess my first steps will be to buy the furnance and ingot molds so I can have some clean lead ready for use when I am ready for the next steps. As suggested, run a bunch of practice castings in each mold before getting into the QC mode. I have figured that sizing dies were a given with casting lead unless you were making ball rounds for black powder.

I also am getting into this. Still acquiring supplies. I've been reloading for a long time but I've become fascinated with the idea of making bullets or boolits.

Someone asked about swaging, that's something completely different but somewhat related. Swaging is creating jacketed bullets with lead cores from other caliber brass or another source of brass/copper.

Hey guys; I found this link to a page that covers solving some problems encountered in casting lead bullets. I am sure that most of the old "MASTER CASTERS" know all this stuff but as a newbie to casting, I found it useful.  Have a look and let me know what you think.

Sam          (..and, yes, that is my actual picture, ......you can see it on the wall in the Post Office)

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature1201.html