mattio41

NY 7 Round Mags (Bill 2230) - Merged Threads

Bill provides:

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,

22 drum, feed strip, or similar device"

Do you think a revolver falls under that definition? An 8 round speedloader might, but seems to me the cylinder of a revolver doesn't.

Via USA TODAY, regarding the legislation that passed in the NYS Senate last night:

"Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds."

You know, it really helps to actually read the f*&^ing bill. Text of section re 7 round mag is below. Here is what it means: 10 round magazines purchased before the date of enactment of this law are still legal. What is illegal are 1) a magazine loaded with more than 7 rounds and 2) any magazine with greater than 7 round capacity purchased after the date of the bill. So, they can keep 10 round mags, which are indeed gradfathered, as long as they don't load more than 7 rounds. Idiotic? Clearly. Horrible? Yes. But not quite as bad as I had feared. I saw somewhere lese that possession of a "large capacity" mags is a Class A misdemeanor, not a felony. Also note that language re .22 tubular mags. To me that implies that tubular mags on lever action center fire rifles (which aren't assault rifles, but that is a separate provision) can't be loaded with more than 7 rounds? Totally and completely FUBAR.

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,

22 drum, feed strip, or similar device, [manufactured after September thir-

23 teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that (a) has a capacity of, or

24 that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten

25 rounds of ammunition, or (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammuni-

26 tion, or © is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the

27 laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a

28 capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept,

29 more than seven rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term

30 does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and

31 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a

32 feeding device that is a curio or relic.

The way I'm reading that mag reg is that it will grandfather any 10 round mags bought before the bills enactment, but all mags purchased subsequent to the bills enactment cannot hold more than 7 rounds. It's a defacto gun ban, hopefully this will blow up in Cuomo face an SCOTUS will **** slap him.

Any legal eagles want to explain to us how the inevitable law suits can go down? Can they get an injunction? Is it going to take years to reach SCOTUS or can this somehow be fast tracked?

Via USA TODAY, regarding the legislation that passed in the NYS Senate last night:

"Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds."

isn't this paper owned by Gannett Company?

who also owns journel news with the gun map?

why don't you shove that paper into the trash?

The way I'm reading that mag reg is that it will grandfather any 10 round mags bought before the bills enactment, but all mags purchased subsequent to the bills enactment cannot hold more than 7 rounds. It's a defacto gun ban, hopefully this will blow up in Cuomo face an SCOTUS will **** slap him.

Any legal eagles want to explain to us how the inevitable law suits can go down? Can they get an injunction? Is it going to take years to reach SCOTUS or can this somehow be fast tracked?

Yes that is what it says. 10 round mags are grandfathered. Larger mags that were previously grandfathered no longer are and must be sold within a year. New mags can only be 7 rounds. Grandfathered 10 round mags can't be loaded with more than 7 rounds.

Good luck with SCOTUS. It will take years for a lawsuit to wind its way through the District and Appellate courts, and by then who knows what the composition of the court will be.

Don't worry, north jersey is wanna be ny so we will follow

If that's the case, why is it that the wealthy suburban Philly areas are controlled by Democrats. If you guys down there got your act together and voted for Republicans, we would have a fighting chance in this state. In NW NJ and northern central NJ democrats don't even get the time of day, never mind any votes.

This is where I read that the magazines would have to be modified to only accept 7 rounds even though the legislation doesn't specifically say so.

Really just a ban against (most) semi autos, especially handguns. Are leo exempt?

Thats what I said, its a semi-auto ban that jumps through hoops to get there so they dont have to ban semi-auto by name. I wish New Yorkers cared and had the stones to stand up against this BS.

Thats what I said, its a semi-auto ban that jumps through hoops to get there so they dont have to ban semi-auto by name. I wish New Yorkers cared and had the stones to stand up against this BS.

How? You dont think they haven't been calling and writing letters like we have been? Well they have. They have been doing the same thing we have been. See where letter writing and phonecalls get you? Nowhere fast.

I've been writing and calling, I'll be at the rally. Do I think it will make a difference? Probably not, but lets hope it does. Short of some mini revolution or attempt to vote them out there isn't much more that we can do.

The problem is these legislators just don't give a shit about us.

So I was in NY State at Davis Sporting Goods which is just over the NJ/NY border on Rte 17. Nice place, good people. I was picking my Remington that I left a deposit on and there were about 15 people all panic buying at the gun counter.

The staff was overwhelmed, but very polite and professional dealing with the madness and anger people were showing. As the gravity of what Cuomo was passing people were literally starting to freak out.

One guy in particular had a case of I'm better than you. He was a retired cop and was trying to explain that he should be exempt from the 7 round law. As they told him there wasn't any known exemptions, he decided to buy some 7 round magazines. Which of course no has and probably won't for a year. He lost it and asked a bunch of questions and I politely told him to buy a 1911 or a Sig 220 Compact or something similar. How can I defend myself with anything less then 10 rounds he asked. Yea, he just had an ahhh-haaa moment as a civilian.

Watched one guy who knew nothing about AR's drop over $3k on a nice Armalite Target M-15, rifle case and a bunch of ammo. I was talking to him for awhile while we were waiting for our NICS. I asked why did he want this if he had no knowledge about AR's (bird hunter / skeet shooter). He said because there are Zombies coming from Albany and Washington and they are all wearing suits. I had to laugh at that one.

Guys, it is about to get REAL....REAL ugly out there. If you aren't going to Trenton, then you just don't care enough.

For that matter, what is ANJRPC doing these days? Anything? Bueller? Are they lobbying anyone? I haven't heard of any efforts at all, maybe it's because I got the paper newsletter awhile back, and I am not getting emails from them anymore. Maybe the are and I just have not heard anything. Hmm, lemme email them--

I keep thinking the same thing. Where are they and what are they up to? They ARE the official right arm of the NRA in Nj right? How about a re-assuring e-mail saying they're"lobbying hard" or getting some ink time in the op/eds of the papers? ANJRPC has been around and established how long- and the new NJ2AS is leaving them in the dust, at least on the public front for now. Remember all that talk a while back about the so called war chest that ANJRPC has amassed? NOW IS THE TIME TO USE IT!!! If they are our front line God help us. Can they please give us a hint that they're doing something?! The following is a short note I e-mailed Mon AM. Take note of the first 2 "mission ops":

Good Day- I'm not sure who the specific person of contact for this is so feel free to answer or pass along.Does ANJRPC and/or Cherry Ridge have any plans on helping to promote, sponser,organize or is otherwise involved in any way with the Pro 2A rallys taking place 1/19 & 2/8 ? Below, an excerpt from this very own ANJRPC site:

The Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc. is the official NRA State Association in New Jersey. Our mission is to implement all of the programs and activities at the state level that the NRA does at the national level. This mission includes the following:

To support and defend the constitutional rights of the people to keep and bear arms.

To take immediate action against any legislation at the local, state and federal level that would infringe upon these rights.

To coordinate the interests of all rifle, pistol and/or shooting clubs in New Jersey.

To promote and sponsor local and state championship competitions as well as sectional and regional championships in all recognized shooting disciplines.

To support and promote all other firearms activities such as hunting, collecting and bench rest shooting.

To promote, organize and conduct firearms training.

To encourage interest in participation in firearms activities by all, and especially minorities, women and juniors.

I just read an article on cnbc about this and I just don't get why these idiotic politicians don't get it.

Ban guns, ok. What's to stop a person from driving a car down a sidewalk at 50 mph? You going to ban cars?

Now I have a splitting headache just from reading this effing nonsense. I can't believe what our country has come too.

Stop with the "we are next in NJ" bvullsh!t already! This whole NY thing was prompted by the ultra liberal Dem gov. Christie is NOT saying we need ANY more gun laws, not pushing for a damn thing and won't sign any, so ENOUGH!!!!

THAT depends entirely on US

Top of my facebook page just now

Just received this: Class action law suit filed in NYS supreme court hours after the new "laws" were passed. heres the info for all my NY friends

Lawyer : Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is 716.202.4301

Successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York. According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court.

... ...

We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE:

SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS and phone number to:

[email protected] r.com

WE ARE COLLECTING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!

I think we will be affected by the 7rd limit as well. Anyone else notice most if not all gun manufacturers sell new guns to those of us that live in restrictive states, with 10 rd mags even though the limit in NJ is 15. They do this so they can go with the one size fits all approach for the restrictive states like NY, CA, and NJ. If they need 7 or less to sell to NY i'm sure we here in NJ will be getting the new 7rd or less mags with all our new purchases as well. Thats if of course anyone still wants to sell guns in NY. Just my 2 cents. I wish those in NY all the success in the world fighting this ridiculous garbage.

How can there be a lawsuit - it has not even passed the assembly yet? They are voting now and then the governor needs to sign it. Sadly, all of that probably will happen yet today.

I've been listening to the debate in the assembly - just makes me sick.

Adios,

Pizza Bob