mattio41

NY 7 Round Mags (Bill 2230) - Merged Threads

They recognized that no one made 7 round mags for anything but pocket guns.

The old GI mags for the 1911 (without the dimple in the bottom) were 7 rounds.

Wondering how Cuomo came up with the number seven? Kimber is located in Yonkers, NY. I was suspicious of a political connection, but Leslie Edelman, the CEO and owner -- gives exclusively to Republicans http://www.campaignm...an.asp?cycle=12,

However, I'd guess since Kimber has been talking about opening plants elsewhere, and the threat of even more job losses for New York was enough. Remington also has a plant in Ilion NY and manufactures a 1911.

Kimber and Remington just need to ship their guns with GI 7s and since everyone replaces or supplements the factory mags anyway, it's not a big problem.

Wondering how Cuomo came up with the number seven?

That's an easy one to answer. This bill does not to appear innocuous to hunters; six (6) is already the maximum number of rounds you can have in your centerfire semi-auto deer or varmint rifle when hunting.

For manually-operated arms, Grandpa's old Marlin or Winchester "thutty-thutty" has a 6 rnd. magazine. Grandpa's Savage 99 has a 6 rnd. magazine. Most turnbolts have a 5 rnd. magazine. Your Remington pump's 760, 6, 7600, etc. have a standard 4-rnd. magazine, etc. Recalling Cuomo's ranting speech that included the statement, "how many bullets do you need to kill a deer," this bill doesn't offend the 600,000 residents and the 50,000 non-residents too much who hunt in the state. Hunting is as much a tradition as gun ownership is a right. For many though, the two blur at times.

Keep the hunters placated, and onerous legislation gets passed easily, which proves legislator's are not that dumb. They know enough not to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I don't think many saw or heard this one coming though.

Thought Saigas were Izhmash factory

You're right. I read the name too quick. I saw a name beginning with an I with Factory and Russia also in the name; and didn't pay attention to the rest. Would Russian American Arms be Saiga? I think that's what Bud's lists Saigas under on their site.

You're right. I read the name too quick. I saw a name beginning with an I with Factory and Russia also in the name; and didn't pay attention to the rest. Would Russian American Arms be Saiga? I think that's what Bud's lists Saigas under on their site.

Yes, the importer doesn't matter, the receivers all say Izhmash

The NYSP even put Nodak Spud on their interpreteted list :)

IMO a saiga kind of does everything it can to squeak by... In its imported configuration it does not even have a pistol grip... Get it in wood and it is even less menacing... Not that the way it looks matters in reality...

IMO a saiga kind of does everything it can to squeak by... In its imported configuration it does not even have a pistol grip... Get it in wood and it is even less menacing... Not that the way it looks matters in reality...

True. What I thought odd was they included the Saiga 12 on the list of shotguns though.

Just wait for the unknowing retired LEO that comes to NY with his 10 round CCW and gets arrested.

A few things will happen.

He will be made an example of and crucified.

NYS will have all sorts of fire and brimstone come down from various LEO groups and the charges will be dismissed on a technicality.

Or, if I was a cop, look the other way and tell him to GTFO of this state ASAP for his own good.

^ Sshhh! :)

When this mag limit doesn't stop the crime I suspect they will go another -3 down to 4 which rules out 5 round magazines. Then when firearms manufacturers are working on producing ridiculous 4 round magazines then will go another -3 down to 1. Then we won't be allowed to possess magazines that hold any rounds and the function of a magazine will be redefined as a simple one piece device that is inserted into the mag well to override the magazine disconnect on applicable pistols.

I received the following from my NY buddy (copied & pasted below). I know we have our own fights coming up but if you know someone in NY pass it on...

Breaking News !!! NY Sheriffs Fighting back !!!!

Everyone print this out and bring it to your local sheriff !!!!! A few NY Sheriffs have vowed to not comply !!!!!!!!

Local sheriffs question merits of new N.Y. law By JOE MAHONEY 01/16/2013 12:18 PM Schoharie County Sheriff Tony Desmond and Otsego County Sheriff Richard Devlin Jr. both questioned the merits of a new package of gun control measures signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo argued the legislation will enhance public safety in New York. But Desmond said that requiring citizens to register guns that the new legislation now defines as assault weapons will not be a priority of his department.

“Nobody from the Schoharie sheriff’s department is going to be taking any weapons away from anyone unless they have committed a crime,” Desmond said. “An average law-abiding citizen is not going to have to worry about the sheriff’s department coming to take their weapon or arresting them for having a weapon.”

The legislation broadens the definition of assault weapons to include guns that had previously been described as such.

For instance, a shotgun with a pistol grip is labeled by the new law as an assault weapon because of the single feature of having a pistol grip.

Although Cuomo had indicated last month that he was considering the option of having the government confiscate assault weapons, the legislation that overwhelming passed the state Senate and Assembly allowed those weapons to be kept by owners if they already have them.

Desmond said forcing citizens to register such guns is impractical and doe not enhance public safety.

“We don’t have the time to run around and tell everybody to bring their long weapons in to register them,” he said.

“We’re just barely keeping up with the pistol permits we have now.”

Devlin said that while he agreed with some features of the legislation — such as a new requirement that pistol permit and rifle registration information be kept confidential — the thrust of it will have an onerous impact on law-abiding citizens who acquired their guns through proper channels.

“I don’t see how this legislation is going to prevent a crazy person from doing something that’s crazy,” Devlin said.

He said numerous gun owners have contacted him to register their displeasure with the legislation. “People are not happy,” he said.

State Sen. James Seward, R-Milford, a long-time gun rights advocate, was one of the 18 state senators who voted against the gun package, which was acted on as a single bill.

Seward said he agreed with one component that increases the punishment for anyone convicted of killing a first responder as well as the provision limiting public access to gun records kept by local governments. The latter provision was inserted in the legislation following an uproar in Westchester County after a newspaper owned by the Gannett Co.

acquired a database of gun permit owners and published their names and home addresses.

Seward said he also favored a provision that requires mental health providers to report to law enforcement when they encounter patients who could endanger others with weapons..

“My problem with the legislation is it zeroes in too much on the weapons — and puts restrictions on law abiding legitimate gun owners,” the senator said. He noted the overwhelming majority of his constituents were opposed to the new restrictions.

Daily Star : Local sheriffs question merits of new N.Y. law http://m.thedailysta...ll=true#display

OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS

======================

https://petitions.wh...tional/W2KLT6t8

Who is going to Albany? I will be there Saturday rain or sunshine. We need a big banner.

At some point they will run afoul of Heller. There is a serious argument that limiting mag size to 7, less then some revolvers, means that they have effectively banned semi-auto handguns and Heller addressed that.

yep, like the S&W 327 which I own and is my HD gun. I guess NY S&W 327 owners are suppose to just leave on cylinder empty, I don't think so...

First guy asked about reviewing list of rejected elements of bill, second guy says he hadn't seen said list, first guy says OK, second guy says STFU about list, first guy says yeah, cause confiscation is one of the things on the list.

As in, original bill included confiscation of firearms.

Ya Think!!! WTF is going on in NYS, the country...ok, I'm not really surprised at all. I'm just tired of this dancing and want to get into it already if this is what they want.