hey guys, quick question, i applied for my FID a little while ago and have a little bit of a concern on how i may have answered one of the questions and more so how they would go about finding out the info.

i had a slight problem with prescription pain medicine and sought the help of a doctor and am currently prescribed a medicine to control cravings called suboxone (it is a class III drug) i pay for all the visits out of pocket and prescriptions out of pocket.

i am very new to the processes and the way questions are worded with NJ gun laws and when i was asked #25, i answered as though i felt no as was seeking help and not dependent, also when answering #26 about mental health technically i could have answered yes but i answered no thinking they are talking about people in one flew over the cuckoos nest...

well bottom line is i called a lawyer to ask his opinion and the lawyer deff had an agenda and really freaked me out saying i will deff not get it and probably be charged for not telling the truth on my application but to save his number and make sure to call him right away with any problems....

how do they find out what medicine your taking or what doctors you see? especially if its a non insurance transaction? thanks guys any info or anyone with similar situations would be a huge help i am really upset about this :/

note: i had no intentions of falsifying any info and when asking this right now i want to let you know that i do not have the intent of being sneeky i really mis understood the questions i think, im just now (2 weeks later) thinking it mat be a problem

it would just really suck that if getting help could be used against you

hey guys and gals, i am new here and to firearms... did i post this in the wrong category? i searched and couldnt find anything relevant so thats why i posted here. should i move this somewhere else?

i feel that since its kinda a subject that brings negative light to the cause that nobody really wants to touch it but i would really appreciate any help :/

i will be honest that when i answered the question NO i was very proud to answer like that (looking at it as though i have been drug free and doing incredible)

Matyb, you are not a bad guy and you did not do something bad. Painkillers are nasty stuff (opiods for those who don't know, similar to heroin) and most addictions develop through lawful prescriptions given to people with serious injuries etc. You did well to move on and better yourself and I think that's a big step and am impressed. Kicking opiod habit is no laughing matter and you should be proud of yourself like you said.

unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, I'd suggest possibly calling a second lawyer, or simply waiting it out although I understand personally how nerve wracking that can be.

glassfanta, you are a very awesome person for replying back with that, i can only assume you have experienced a similar situation?

but you basically hit the nail right on the head with your reply!! it is hard to describe this to people who may not understand and i fear that people may get the impression of drug dependent as "junkie with a siringe" kinda thing when i couldnt be further from that description, and then maybe stray away from the post. i guess i maybe think that people think of me or my post like that because im new here and don't really know anyone :/ feels kinda like the new kid in grade school from a different town lol

on the bright side of things i should hopefully be finished my program before (and if) i receive my FID

i also did a little researched (well a lot of research) and found that the only health records they obtain are hippa which from my understanding are insurance related only and the police department are looking for involuntary placement in a mental hospital or court ordered and ordered hospital stays...

i could be wrong but that is what i read

once again glass, those where very kind words that i will not forget! i will remember that for tomorrow, i have a goal to make somebody feel good about them self :)

Good on you for getting help. Not many people see they have a problem and destroy themselves and families over it. I've seen what opiate addiction to do firsthand.

As far as your question, I have no real idea. Technically, its a dangerous narcotic, but you shouldn't really be dependent on it. I'd definitely consult with a lawyer, and possibly your doctor as well.

thanks recon raccoon! i didnt think i would receive such positive support from a firearms forum lol!

the law could go either way thats why i joined here and was hoping to get advice from someone who has had a similar situation... as bad as this may sound if i knew it wouldnt be a problem i would just let it go and not worry but if i knew for sure it was gonna cause a problem i would go to my local PD and do the right thing (maybe the right thing) and tell them my situations!

i have already decided since i will be asked similar questions when i go to purchase firearms that i will not buy anything till i have a note from my doctor stating "cured" or something to that effect! SCOUTS HONOR lol

IANAL:

As far as i know, if you are no longer "dependant" on the substance you were abusing, you are in the clear for answering no. I believe it even says, something about people in recovery or seeking help can answer no.

I dont have an app. handy but im sure someone does..

i do have copies of the app handy and im gonna look right now, you do mean the states app with questions 1-29 on it correct?

if you are right that would bring the largest peace of mind to me!!!!!

thank you im searching now!

The doctor was who prescribed you the medication that made you physically dependant then you took the proper steps to take yourself off the physical dependence. This is a typical problem that needs to be addressed. Trusting doctors who over prescribe pain meds and make their patients physically depended. I understand pain and the need to rid yourself from it.. I feel that drug companies as well as government should take more aggressive steps to make no dependant medications. The ammount of money made by these companies by pushing legal drugs is insane.

You awnsered properly in my book I'm not sure where that falls legally so I'm just expressing my anger but if you feel that you were following Dr orders and not being a junkie stick with your answers and fight it legally if anything arises. Your not a crack head after all.. good luck!

man i cant get over how many positive people there are here about this subject!

yes it is some intervention by government is needed more on a matter like the above than gun control right now!

but they make $$ off the problems of other people so that is not likely to happen...

but thank you so dank, your assumptions were correct...

Congrats on getting clean but Im sure you may know Suboxone is highly addictive to and can be just as hard to kick as opiates and there is not something to preclude w/d symptoms from it. My best friend was a opiate user and wound up getting addicted to Suboxone and took him a long time to kick it. But I wish you the best of luck bro !

thank you Xchange, and yes i am well aware of the process... it is an opiate but it causes no side effects (or highs) that is what makes it different. im not arguing a case for myself just explaining :)

yes it can cause withdraw symptoms but believe it or not so can imodiem AD! no joke they "kinda" (i use that loosely) work in a similar fashion... imodium ad is an opiate and some people use that as a home based over the counter treatment, being you dont get a high off the imodium but it is still an opiate and bonds to receptors and eases WD symptoms. when you stop taking the imodium you have to taper yourself just as you do with suboxone. i started at a relatively high dose and have worked myself down to just about nothing now with no ill affects.. i think i am at the point i could completely stop if i wanted or needed to, the only reason i still do is i have a well drawn out (oct style lol) plan and schedule of how my taper will work...

Hey Matyb, I have a friend down in Glassboro whom had a smilar problem when applying for his FID. He saw a psychiatrist because he thought he might possibly have ADHD. The psychiatrist prescribed him a medication that actually made him jittery and overall feel worse than he did when he started. He only visited the said doctor twice and stopped using the meds. He paid for the visits and prescriptions out of pocket like yourself. He answered no to the same questions. He was never hospitalized, admitted, etc for any mental issue nor was/is he dependant on any medication. He got his FID and PP after a couple of months (which was what he was told to expect at the beginning) without a hitch. I know your situation is a little different but like everyone else here, I believe you answered honestly and in the correct way on how you interpreted the question. Good luck and congrats on doing what you have to do to get help.

wow thanks a lot! yes that is fairly similar, i actually just got off the phone with my doctor. he said they do not file any information with the state or anything and the only way anyone would every know is if someone told them or if they ran a check on the PMP. what i am told the PMP is, is a the prescription monitoring program. they would then have to back track to find my dr and then since i did sign the hippa sheet they would then disclose me as a patient.

i am trying to find out now if they check the PMP when applying for an FID in NJ.. if anyone knows that it would sure up everything for me :)

once again thanks guys, you have all been great in helping someone new with a less than attractive concern, it really says a lot about firearms enthusiasts ! ya know those highly dangerous bad men lol ;)