Pizza Bob

1/20 - IDPA Somerset - a word to the wise

I think Tom is going to incorporate more low-light / no-light stages as standard fare in all matches going forward. Phillipsburg already does this. Last week (@ P-burg) we shot 8 stages - 4 outdoors, 4 indoors. Of the indoor stages, two were low-light, one was no-light (absolutely pitch dark) and one was all lights on.

As Nick pointed out new shooters get a pass on both lighting and concealment garments - but next time....

See you there on Sunday.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Unless I missed it in the rules, cover garments are only required if you are qualified.

Classified. Having shot a classifier. That said, if you can, you might as well use it to get more of the flavor of IDPA matches.

Tom's December results email did note that he'd be mixing in low light/no light stages in January and February.

Unless I missed it in the rules, cover garments are only required if you are qualified.

As I understand, Tom will let new shooters participate without cover garment, but only for 2 shoots. After that you must have a cover, and if you are going to shoot IDPA at Sommerset, he requires that you join the association as well.

Of course, if you're as good as Nick, you can just throw the flashlight on the floor and light up all your targets leaving two hands to work.

Total accident. It worked out, otherwise I would have had to pull out my secondary flashlight.

There is no such exemption in the rules, that I could find. It is usually at the discretion of the club, and in the interest of safety that the cover garment rule is waived, and that is usually only for one match.

The only instance in which a cover garment is no required is during a classification match.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Unclassified shooters are not required to wear a cover garment.

Nick I could find nothing in the on-line rule book that exempted unclassified shooters...

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

IDPA makes the rules, not the guns, Ray.

International Defensive Pistol Association correct?

They need to get with it, pistols with railed lights have been around for a while now.

International Defensive Pistol Association correct?

They need to get with it, pistols with railed lights have been around for a while now.

From the rule book...

While IDPA realizes that lights mounted on guns are very useful

for self-defense, we would have the same situation with mounted

lights that we do with ported pistols if they were allowed.

Mounted lights would become another “necessary modification” to

be competitive and that is not the purpose of IDPA. Also, the

mounting of weapons lights under the stress of competition

imposes a dangerous safety hazard.

Guns that come with light rails straight from the factory may be

used in IDPA competition AS LONG AS the gun still meets all

division criteria. However, the light itself may not be used on the

gun.

so, they're having an event in which they are turning the lights out. and instead of making use of the rail space on your firearm for a light they want you to hold the light with the other hand? Which makes no sense, since almost every damn gun today comes with a rail.

IDPA needs to address this

I've never used a railed light, so how useful are they?

The last time I looked into buying one, the advise that stuck with me is that a railed light will go wherever your gun is pointing. And maybe you don't want to aim at everything you look at.

Then IDPA is geared toward CCW with a concealment holster and cover. Would you normally carry a mounted light in your CCW holster?

And like the rules said above, mounting the light during competition presents a safety issue. There would be a lot of too close to call muzzle sweeps of the shooter's support hand.

No, rails should be reserved for lasers.

The last time I looked into buying one, the advise that stuck with me is that a railed light will go wherever your gun is pointing. And maybe you don't want to aim at everything you look at.

Good point. Violates the "don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy" rule. That said, I still have a rail mounted light on my HD pistol.

Good point. Violates the "don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy" rule. That said, I still have a rail mounted light on my HD pistol.

Not really, the spread of the light makes it so that you don't have to aim the gun directly to where you want to see.