Pizza Bob

1/20 - IDPA Somerset - a word to the wise

Let's assume that a safe way to search/move with a loaded weapon is pointing it towards the floor within a certain radius around you (say 5' or so). Do you think pointing a flashlight as such would give enough spread/flood light to see a person's face across a room or end of a hallway? I guess it also depends on the amount of lumens and spread pattern of the flashlight, but generally speaking.

I would think that most people, in the heat of the moment, would point the light directly at what they are looking to see (e.g. footsteps behind you) by instinct.

I also found that when using cover and leaning out toward the support hand side, holding the light with the support hand and under the barrel, a blinding amount of light is reflected back by the cover. Moving the light to your temple gets it in a position to illuminate around cover and onto the sights.

Maybe a rail mounted light is a useful backup, but not the best primary?

I would like to have the experience of shooting a low light stage using the weapon light I keep on my bedside handgun, but I do think it would be one of those pieces of equipment that'd carry a significant advantage specifically in a competition stage environment. Weapon mounted vs. handheld have different strengths for true home defense planning. But, in the scenario of needing to hit multiple non-moving targets and having to manage reloads on a dark shooting range where there is 0% chance of unintentionally muzzling a family member, I think not having to also hold a flashlight is going to be a huge advantage.

So, I kinda get how allowing weapon mounted lights would kind of force someone to have one in order to be competitive within their division. However, I don't think there would be much harm if match directors at least offered people the option of shoting the match with a weapon light at the cost of being put in "Unclassified" so that they aren't able to win a division, be the "most accurate", "High Law Enforcement", "High Senior", etc.

I plan on bringing two lights with me and anyone attending is free to borrow one or the other. Just look for the tall, lanky, lefty with a PPQ in a FDE holster.

I'll be bringing a FourSevens Quark AA2 Turbo and a Fenix TK22.

As far as I'm aware, there are two main philosophies for the tactical employment of flashlights with a handgun. I tend to side with the idea that it is better to compromise two-handed support for the ability to illuminate a potential threat without pointing the barrel of your gun at the same time.

One of the most important rules of firearms safety is to be sure of your target and I don't feel comfortable pointing a gun at an individual unless I intend to shoot them, which requires me to identify them first.

I think that in a large part, the prohibition against weapon-mounted lights is one of weight. The additional weight of the light damps the recoil and allows the shooter quicker follow-up shots. This is the same reason that weighted grips or tungsten guide rods are not allowed. Not every gun has a rail, so it be an unfair advantage to those shooting with a light mounted. Remember - IDPA is all about having a level playing field and it is a GAME.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just wanted to thank everyone from the forum that helped me out at the match on Sunday. It was my first one and appreciated the friendly atmosphere. I felt I shot reasonably well for my first time except the cluster of the 3rd stage.

It was good meeting you guys (and girl).

I felt I shot reasonably well for my first time except the cluster of the 3rd stage.

My son and I shot one back in October, and our experience mirrors yours. Great group of people. I also had a cluster on one of my stages. IDPA is VERY different than USPSA. I commented to Tom "Man, I screwed the pooch on stage 2." "Yup...you had some issues." funny...

My son and I shot one back in October, and our experience mirrors yours. Great group of people. I also had a cluster on one of my stages. IDPA is VERY different than USPSA. I commented to Tom "Man, I screwed the pooch on stage 2." "Yup...you had some issues." funny...

Yeah Tom is pretty matter of fact haha

You learn and get better with experience. I got my buddy Henry hooked now too.

He was a good shot. I heard lots of zeros after his shots.