Apehanger13

Damaged ammo from Sandy

Last week I took 100 rounds of 45 Colt and a box of plastic shotshells that were under 36" of water from the storm to a cowboy match. Two Colts and one shotshell didn't go bang.

In total, had 1500 rounds of Colts, 12 boxes of 50 or 100 round BPCR reloads and 11 cases of shotshells under water. Squirted them with engine fogging oil + Eezox. Plan to shot them all up. Then clean the brass in the rotary tumbler with burnishing solution and media. I cleaned close to 1000 cases in inventory (25-20 to 50-70). All cleaned up like new

Of course not that exact same circumstances but it brought up memories for me.

Years ago I recovered several thousand rounds of 30-06 and 45 ACP from a ship wreck.

The boat sunk in 1918 in about 110' of water.

Most of the ammo was trash. A lot of it cleaned up nice for display (powder removed) and some of it was buried enough that it was very clean and dry. Never did anything with the rifle stuff, but I did fire about a dozen rounds of the 45 with no issues.

Was a lot younger then and wouldn't do that now

post-5468-0-80590300-1360256613_thumb.jpg

Of course not that exact same circumstances but it brought up memories for me.

Years ago I recovered several thousand rounds of 30-06 and 45 ACP from a ship wreck.

The boat sunk in 1918 in about 110' of water.

Most of the ammo was trash. A lot of it cleaned up nice for display (powder removed) and some of it was buried enough that it was very clean and dry. Never did anything with the rifle stuff, but I did fire about a dozen rounds of the 45 with no issues.

Was a lot younger then and wouldn't do that now

USS San Diego ;)