Tango Charlie

Precision Firearms - Gunsmith and gun coating

Has anyone ever heard of Precision Firearms?

www.coatyourgun.com

He is a local guy located in Edison, NJ. I met him at the Garden State Outdoors Show and saw a few of his samples. They looked great. He does cerakoting and hydrocoating guns.

Anyway, has anyone else ever done business with him? Is it worth cerakoting my firearms? I like the idea of cerakote or any other kind of finish (is it considered a finish?) that would protect my gun. Plus, from what I could find cerakote is self-lubricating and very abrasion/rust resistant.

Can't provide feedback on the place, but can provide info on Cerakote. I applied the heat cure version myself on my 1911 which I use for competition. It can change the tolerances if applied too thick. Break-in period's not bad. A box or 2 and GTG. I'm still doing a durability test, but so far, it's holding up extremely well. I'm running it very dry. The only oil I add is from the oily rag I wipe with. Carbon build up just comes right off. Most importantly for me is that it protected the metal surface from my alien palm sweat which can just about make anything rust. I'm putting it through the kydex holster test which so far still shows no sign of wear. I won't say it will last forever, or it's the prettiest finish. Eventually it will wear down, but it's easy to blast off and reapply. Very happy with it.

Can't provide feedback on the place, but can provide info on Cerakote. I applied the heat cure version myself on my 1911 which I use for competition. It can change the tolerances if applied too thick. Break-in period's not bad. A box or 2 and GTG. I'm still doing a durability test, but so far, it's holding up extremely well. I'm running it very dry. The only oil I add is from the oily rag I wipe with. Carbon build up just comes right off. Most importantly for me is that it protected the metal surface from my alien palm sweat which can just about make anything rust. I'm putting it through the kydex holster test which so far still shows no sign of wear. I won't say it will last forever, or it's the prettiest finish. Eventually it will wear down, but it's easy to blast off and reapply. Very happy with it.

Did you remove the sights or just paint it with them still installed? I'm thinking about refinishing my 1911 with creakote and buying the 1911 sight tool to remove them. I'm wondering when I reinstall them if it will scratch the coating right off sliding them back in.

Did you remove the sights or just paint it with them still installed? I'm thinking about refinishing my 1911 with creakote and buying the 1911 sight tool to remove them. I'm wondering when I reinstall them if it will scratch the coating right off sliding them back in.

You don't need a tool to remove them. Save your money. I had new sights installed with no scratching issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

I removed the sights before spraying and baking. if the sights are tight, they'll be slightly tighter when putting them back on after coating depending on how many coats you lay down. If you coated thick, the sight may gouge out a little of the Cerakote. Mine was really tight as the fit was originally tight to begin with, it was super tight after coating. Although I scraped off some paint after I installed the sights, I still didn't get down to the metal. Cerakote bonds very well.

No specialized sight tool was required to take the sights out. I used a brass punch and a hammer. Drifted the sights right off the dovetails. Now, if you have a GI style staked front sight, then just leave it there. Restaking the front sight is a PITA. If you are coating a light color, then just tape up the front sight.

Be very careful of one thing. Don't spray each layer too thick. The coating will skin up while drying, then you'll develop a bubble when baking. If you got time, just let it sit and dry very well before baking. I haven't tried to see if that'll fix a heavy spray bubble but worth a try. You won't know you'll get a bubble till after baking.

Awesome, thanks man. I have the Springfield range officer and I think I'm going to put a gold dot front when I reassemble it. It does have that tiny roll pin in the front sight.

Don't use this guy, he has had my friends upper and lower since few days before new years

keeps giving him a run around about getting the paint, told him he would have it by last Friday and now doesn't answer or return any calls