glockofseagulls

Greeting from beautiful Newak, NJ

Greetings folks,

I've been lurking around in this forum for the last couple of months and finally decided to join.

I'm quite new to firearms, in fact I'm in the process of getting my FID and just waiting for the call.

As you might noticed from the post title, I'm from Newark, NJ. And although I live in the "nicer" part of town, it's still one sandwich short of a picnic.

Now, I've always been interested in practicing my rights, but for some reason I never got around to pull the trigger (teehee) until recently. Why now?

For starters, I knew the Newton incident would create talk and wanted to support the 2nd in my own way, not to mention NJ needs all the FID holders it can get.

However, before even Newton made history, I experienced first hand what it feels like to have an intruder in your apartment while trying to sleep IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!! Lucky once, but I will be ready the next time if it ever even happens. And finally, after already taking a NRA handgun class and spending time at the range, I knew right away it will be a new hobby I will enjoy and even introduce to my hippie liberal friends.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on my experience with Newark PD and obtaining my FID, from what I heard, this city is extremely anti-gun and I even heard I'm required to have a safe in my apt. Verified by police. ::shrugs::

Wish me luck!

Greetings folks,

Anyway, I will keep you posted on my experience with Newark PD and obtaining my FID, from what I heard, this city is extremely anti-gun and I even heard I'm required to have a safe in my apt. Verified by police. ::shrugs::

Wish me luck!

Whats up. No you do not need to have a safe in your apartment verified by the cops. You should want one to keep it safe when your not home. Keep detailed notes on everything you do, who you speak to when you call and what they say. On the 60th day start calling. By then they should have asked to "interview" you. On the 90th business day start calling. The numbers I have are 973-733-6017 and 973-733-6093. Stay patient and vigilant. They will try to jerk you around by conveniently not mailing you a letter for interview or contacting references. Well at least Detective Sanders was like that. When you do pick up make sure they have all of your permits ready. They still owe me one permit.

Whats up. No you do not need to have a safe in your apartment verified by the cops. You should want one to keep it safe when your not home. Keep detailed notes on everything you do, who you speak to when you call and what they say. On the 60th day start calling. By then they should have asked to "interview" you. On the 90th business day start calling. The numbers I have are 973-733-6017 and 973-733-6093. Stay patient and vigilant. They will try to jerk you around by conveniently not mailing you a letter for interview or contacting references. Well at least Detective Sanders was like that. When you do pick up make sure they have all of your permits ready. They still owe me one permit.

Good to hear that, thanks for the advice and phone numbers, I will definitely need those.

All about the safety... When you say keep it safe while I'm not home are you referring to someone stealing it? Or someone playing with it? (E.g. Kids)

I live with my girlfriend and we have no kids. Our plans are to store it unloaded but have a hallow point mag ready at all times.

Any ideas?

Welcome. I live in Jersey City and am a new shooter, but longtime believe in the 2A. Would be happy to go shooting with you, I have tried most of the ranges near us.

Sandy was my turning point.

Yeas! I forgot about Sandy. But you're right, If we had another few more weeks without power and fuel, I would sure feel better owning one. After a while without those two, the crazies will start to come out. Lol

Welcome!

A safe is a good idea even if kids are not around. You don't want your gun stolen , and if an intruder finds your mag and your gun , and you walk in on them ...

There are a lot of reasons to have a good safe , and properly installed per manufacturer's instruction.

Again , welcome!

Welcome to the Forum, any idea of a home range or club yet?

I only visited the one in Randolph, however the closest and most convenient one would be bullet hole in belleville. It's only 10 minutes from home. Any recommendations? Price, and distance is not much of a problem for me.