NJ2AS News

A3704 Introduced into NJ Assembly 1/17/13 Requires Handgun Ammo To Have Serial Numbers.

Contact your legislators ASAP!

ATTENTION! THIS BILL WAS INTRODUCED YESTERDAY IN THE NJ ASSEMBLY

A3704 Requires Handgun Ammunition to Be Encoded With Serial Numbers

Sponsored by:

Assemblyman PATRICK J. DIEGNAN, JR.

District 18 (Middlesex)

Assemblyman GORDON M. JOHNSON

District 37 (Bergen)

Assemblywoman BONNIE WATSON COLEMAN

District 15 (Hunterdon and Mercer)

Co-Sponsored by:

Assemblymen Wimberly and Coutinho

STATEMENT

Under this bill, manufacturers and wholesalers of handgun ammunition could only transport their product into this State if it is encoded with a serial number. Similarly, licensed wholesalers and retailers of handgun ammunition would only be allowed to sell such encoded ammunition in this State.

Under the bill, the base of the bullet and the inside of the cartridge casing of each round in a box of ammunition must be encoded with the same serial number. The serial number must be engraved so that it is highly likely to permit identification after the ammunition has been discharged and the bullet has impacted an object. The outside of each box of ammunition also must be labeled with the name of the manufacturer and the same serial number used on the cartridge casings and bases of bullets contained in the box. The bill specifies that ammunition contained in one ammunition box may not be labeled with the same serial number as the ammunition contained in any other ammunition box from the same manufacturer.

Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers of handgun ammunition who transport or sell handgun ammunition that is not properly encoded with the required serial number are guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. Fourth degree crimes are punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to 18 months, a fine of up to $10,000, or both.

Any person who possesses commercially purchased handgun ammunition that is not encoded by the manufacturer as required in the bill a year after enactment is guilty of a disorderly persons offense. Disorderly persons offenses are punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to six months, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

The bill also requires the Superintendent of State Police to establish and maintain an encoded handgun ammunition database. Licensed retail dealers who sell handgun ammunition are required to provide the superintendent with the date the ammunition was purchased; the manufacturer; the caliber; the serial number; the name and birth date of each purchaser; the driver’s license number or other appropriate State or federal identification of the purchaser; and any other information the superintendent requires. The seller also is required to maintain copies of all records submitted to the superintendent for at least three years after the sale. A seller who does not comply with these requirements is guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

Under the bill, a person who knowingly defaces or otherwise renders unreadable the information encoded on handgun ammunition is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Heck, in Florida, despite the national publicity of the Zimmerman case, a panel was formed and presented its conclusions which were some minor changes to clarify sections of the stand your gun law and that was it. Our State held it ground and upheld our gun rights. I keep forgetting what it is like living up North. At first I thought this post was in the humor section but apparently not. Whoever introduced it obviously did not think that revolvers do not leave empty cases behind. I really feel for the New Yorkers having lived a good part of my life there. I thought it was bad before but now it is even worse. We all know what will happen next. Either reducing the capacity of magazines will not work or work. In either case they will say either that they have to reduce magazines to 4 as 7 is still too many or say that reducing has worked so lets reduce it further as who does not want to do something that saves the life of even one child. It is disgusting how politicians are using children to make it sound like anyone who does not agree with their anti gun sentiments is against saving the lives of children while they send their kids to private schools and live in very safe neighborhoods. Do I really want to lower the chances of saving my kids to save someone else's. Hmmm. Interesting delemma.

Introduced with sponsors? Seriously? I hope it passes just do prove that brain dead zombies really due exist in a highly functioning (though totally inept) capacity.

I'd just write random numbers on ammo boxes. Because in order to fit the serialized number on the rounds and casing, seeing how they are going to need to be extremely long numbers, it would have to be written TINY. I can assure you it is there, just too small for them to read.

But I digress. No link, this is clearly a joke.

Introduced with sponsors? Seriously? I hope it passes just do prove that brain dead zombies really due exist in a highly functioning (though totally inept) capacity.

I'd just write random numbers on ammo boxes. Because in order to fit the serialized number on the rounds and casing, seeing how they are going to need to be extremely long numbers, it would have to be written TINY. I can assure you it is there, just too small for them to read.

But I digress. No link, this is clearly a joke.

No, it is not a joke... http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A4000/3704_I1.HTM