O-gre

Shoreshot vs Brick Armory

I used to go to Shoreshot with a print out of what I wanted from an Internet Vendor, hand it to Bill or Kyle and ask if they could get it.

Bill has always been a good guy. I've bought quite a few guns from him, over the years. However, the rest of the people working there are jerk offs, as far as I'm concerned (never had an issue with Ken or Tiny, but I haven't seen them in years). Some of the retired L/E guys are ok, but they aren't the guys I've been seeing the past few times I went in.

The last time I saw Kyle... not going to post it on the Internet, but I was shocked.

I will never go to BA they are liars and threatened to ban forum members who were critical of BA on the forum. Milton told me once that he was tired of us bashing them on the forum and that he would "Match BA member names to their screen names and ban them from BA". After he said that he can go fugg himself.

With that attitude we should boycott BA.

Shoreshot gets my business cause they support NJGF more by discounts for members. Both have good employees from my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The last I knew was they abandoned us her at the NJGF, not that I can say they didn't have a right to do what they wanted, but the way they did that and a few other things turned me off and I'll never go back let alone tell anyone about the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too have never had a problem with SS. They can be quick with you at times but in lieu of the amount of people there on a weekend the service is still good, and the ranger was always helpful to my girls when they started shooting

If you looking for an indoor pay as your go range then Brick is where frequented before joining CJ. I found them pleasant to deal with even brought my 10 year old daughter to shoot the 22 and they were EXTREMELY helpful without me needing to ask. Brought her a chair and rifle rest, i really appreciated that! not to mention you can shoot rifle with out needing any "Special" ammo.

As far as inventory SS does have a nice selection but my experience with them was less then good. I was in the market for an LWRC AR which they had in stock but seemed like i was troubling him when i asked to see the rifle so i took my cash in hand to another dealer "not a vendor so will not name him". This was 2 years ago so there was no panic buying or extra ban chat stress.

I wonder why it is so hard to keep a brick and mortar vendor on a forum. It seems as soon as a customer has a beef because they were not waited on fast enough or got a part fast enough, or got their arses kissed long and hard enough, they blow them up the forums as retaliation. Why is it that we feel that, just because we belong to a forum, we feel entitled to special treatment or discounts? If I owned a business and were being slammed by people on these forums (I am speaking generically here) I would not spend any of my business's money supporting them either.

It costs a lot of money in rent, utilities, insurance and salaries to keep these places open, you would think the masses that scream for more places to shop and hang out would be more understanding? Especially in a state that makes it so hard for these places to stay in business? Who you going to go to when Obama make it illegal to do business through the internet? Just my .02

It seems to me plenty of Brick and Mortar stores are supporters of the forum. As a member you should not "Expect" anything special from a vendor. You should treat members just as you would treat anyone walking in to your store.

I agree 100%. It just seems like we had Brick (yuck) and lost them, then we had and lost Shore Shot, then we had and lost RTSP all just in the last couple of years? Fortunately for me and so many Central and South Jersey folks, we have an outstanding FFL in Tony to deal with.

I agree 100%. It just seems like we had Brick (yuck) and lost them, then we had and lost Shore Shot, then we had and lost RTSP all just in the last couple of years? Fortunately for me and so many Central and South Jersey folks, we have an outstanding FFL in Tony to deal with.

Could it be that public ranges have seen a remarkable increase in traffic and in turn, profits where it would no longer make financial sense to advertize on or support a website? Especially one where there seems to be so much contention and hurt feelings over at times the pettiest of perceived slights and/or infractions? Don't be mistaken. I have had customer service issues with a number of cited vendors and ranges to the point where I vote with my wallet by never opening it again in their establishment. But it seems rather short sighted to "take your ball and go home" simply because some faceless,nameless entity decides your business did not cater to his every whim.

I am a firm believer in customer service as a means to an end....not a fawning, solicitous" yes Sir..No Sir" customer service that insults both parties but a open,friendly,concise and at times firm but polite service that most of us can appreciate and look forward to. We all have our off days and I'll give you one...maybe even two... but if every day is your off day? then Sir it's not your customers that are assholes.......it's you.

I used to be a shore shot member. Not all their employees are bad but on multiple occasions the 2 guys working the counter on Saturday mornings just pissed me off. I bring my friend there to buy 2 pistols from them and when I express my opinion to my friend regarding what they were showing him they both looked at me like I was crazy. On another occasion, they would refuse to help us all together. Also, at shore shot, if your shooting rifle ammo, better be frangible. That frangible stuff kept jamming my AR. I am now shooting at Brick Armory, all the sale people are extremely friendly. You can shoot any rifle ammo up to 300 winmag. They custom orderred a Kriss super V for me and even matched shore shots price. But as someone mentioned earlier, their range is somewhat lacking in safe behaviour. On the other hand, I almost got kicked out of shore shot for loading a magazine outside of the stall.

John...

Brick Armory we parted ways after they had numerous issues with providing what they were supposed to, to their customers and our forum members. They are nice guys at heart, but I feel just lack the business sense on how to run a business. They had multiple opportunities to run SS out of town, but did not. After the third issue I had with them getting paid for a gun I sold there.... it was clear.

ShoreShot and RTSP.... These guys just disappeared without even so much as sending me a pm or an email stating their intention.... in turn, they ended up getting at least 3 to 4 months of free publicity on here. They never bothered to tell me why they chose not to contribute and be here. From others I have heard that it was the fact that they were still given criticism here over their practices, and they chose not to hear it. While I do think that vendors should get the benefit of the doubt, especially those with a past track record, I don't think you can buy your way to being teflon ffl... where no one has the right to complain.

The vendor fee for the forum is very minimal in the grand scheme of things... $50 or under / month for FFL/Range. So... I know it is not the money issue, they would be stupid if they thought it was too much. I can almost guarantee that they made at least ten times their investment on a monthly basis. Ie... How many RTSP members did they sell because of the exposure on here? Hell, if one person finds the range on here and goes to rent a gun there..... their $150 bill will 3x cover the cost. Same thing for the exposure.... over a million page views per month... (actually quite a bit higher than that), that is the cheapest, targeted promotion they will get.

Beyond that.... even though they were on the forum, exception SS that did provide discounts and contribute here..., they never really cared about the community... as well. we are not really their target market.... For the past few years, the best customers revenue wise are the ones who want to rent a gun one time, and are ok paying over $100 for 30 mins, which includes a walk on fee, a gun rental fee, and a box of 9mm for $25.

I also do want to point out, there are PLENTY of Brick and Mortar FFL's who are having great success..... in part because they actually contribute and care about the community. Chris @ Bullseye Tactical has a top notch store in Woodbridge, East Brunswick Sportsman on Rt 18 in East Brunswick, Hackettstown Guns and Ammo, Mastadon Ammo & Camo. Now we have Paul who expanded not too long ago to have an AWESOME store next door. =P

Then... you have trainers like Anthony @ GFH, Chris @ MDTS, Cameron @ GAPP who go out of their way to support the community and teach better classes than what you will typically find in the stores.

Most of all... the vendors who chose to be here.... are 100% open to feedback.

So I would gather to say its about priorities.

I will say.... Phil and the guys at Brick Armory DID care about the shooting community, unfortunately they could not run a competitive business.

Anyone who knows me, knows how I feel... I want to get the most amount of people shooting. There are not many people who tried shooting firearms who do not support the 2A..... and the best way to keep shooters involved is to keep the costs to entry as low as possible..... $350 for an indoor range membership, or $100+ to rent a gun and a box of ammo.... is not doing that.

Fortunately or Unfortunately, I still don't know... if you open up an FFL in NJ.... you have to be a moron not to be profitable.... because the barriers to entry are SOOOOO high.... and SOOOOO few public ranges.... that is why the public ranges can get away with the murder they are charging. To go on record.... I do not think that $20 walk on for an hour, $15 to rent a gun, and $25 a box of 9mm is reasonable. HOWEVER.... because there are so few ranges... no one else is the wiser and people from NY are willing to come down and spend so much money....

So as long as this status quo keeps up.... unless those places start thinking ahead... ie, when this all dies down.... , until than... I can absolutely understand why those places have no reason they can think of of supporting the frugal gun owners here.... as opposed to just charging someone more money because there is no other choice.

I can guarantee you, if a few more ranges popped up.... the level of service received at other ranges would quickly go up, and the cost of gun ownership in NJ would quickly decline.... until then... they will keep charging $60 for a 15 round AR-15 Mag that their cost is $15 on, and exuberantly priced ammo, and guns at full MSRP.

They are nice guys at heart, but I feel just lack the business sense on how to run a business.

Understatement of the year... at least the second half. Sometimes, they tell you something that makes no sense. I brought two people there that never shot before, both women, and talked to one employee about what I was going to start them on. I felt a Beretta CX4 would be best, since there is more support (long gun) with a smaller caliber (9mm). NOPE! I was TOLD that they were to use a 9mm Glock (both were smaller framed, and nervous). It wasn't a problem if they just gave an opinion, but I've been shooting for quite some time, so don't tell me how to show a new shooter how to shoot... especially ones that I knew were not going to be comfortable with a handgun. I guess it was just the arrogance that came off from it that got me annoyed.

I already posted my view of both, and since I'm using NJ Arms as my primary FFL, I'm likely going to move to CJRPC as my range. I'm just tired of all of the Lakewood crap. Both SS and BA are about 10 minutes from my house, which just pisses me off that neither does one thing right (FFL or range). I have a membership at BA for another year, so I'll make the move before this one ends.

Understatement of the year... at least the second half. Sometimes, they tell you something that makes no sense. I brought two people there that never shot before, both women, and talked to one employee about what I was going to start them on. I felt a Beretta CX4 would be best, since there is more support (long gun) with a smaller caliber (9mm). NOPE! I was TOLD that they were to use a 9mm Glock (both were smaller framed, and nervous). It wasn't a problem if they just gave an opinion, but I've been shooting for quite some time, so don't tell me how to show a new shooter how to shoot... especially ones that I knew were not going to be comfortable with a handgun. I guess it was just the arrogance that came off from it that got me annoyed.

I already posted my view of both, and since I'm using NJ Arms as my primary FFL, I'm likely going to move to CJRPC as my range. I'm just tired of all of the Lakewood crap. Both SS and BA are about 10 minutes from my house, which just pisses me off that neither does one thing right (FFL or range). I have a membership at BA for another year, so I'll make the move before this one ends.

hehe... my wife was more comfortable shooting a 45 cal Baby desert eagle than a cx4... the recoil was a tad harsh...

If I was able to go for free, range wise I would take Brick armory, just because they have built such a bad rep their range is usually pretty empty and the range is better for shooting. If someone said to me you have to purchase from a Retail setting gun shop then I would take Shore Shot. Most of their salesmen are not very personable and they are kind of pushy on making a sale. However they will not take your money unless they have the gun in stock or until it comes in. How I go about my purchasing and range time now is I belong to CJRPC and I do all my purchases and transfers through Tony at TJ Sporting Arms. Tony is in the business because he wants to help fellow gun owners, and you can tell when you talk to him he isnt in this to make tons of money.

I also do want to point out, there are PLENTY of Brick and Mortar FFL's who are having great success..... in part because they actually contribute and care about the community. Chris @ Bullseye Tactical has a top notch store in Woodbridge, East Brunswick Sportsman on Rt 18 in East Brunswick, Hackettstown Guns and Ammo, Mastadon Ammo & Camo. Now we have Paul who expanded not too long ago to have an AWESOME store next door. =P

Then... you have trainers like Anthony @ GFH, Chris @ MDTS, Cameron @ GAPP who go out of their way to support the community and teach better classes than what you will typically find in the stores.

Most of all... the vendors who chose to be here.... are 100% open to feedback.

Thanks Maks, I forgot about all the newer ones since I have not been in the market for anything new lately. Many are pretty far from me so I don't visit just to window shop. I did visit the folks up at Mastodon when they did the first NJGF Lowers and they were very friendly and competent. I do follow the posts and see that there are a lot of people who are very happy dealing with the people you mention.

I've talked with Ira several times from Legend Firearms and he really seems like a stand up guy. He's close to where I work, so I'll be using him for Nic's from now on.

Nickjc from Mastadon also seems like a good person. I was a royal pita to that poor guy back in December, and while he may never want to do business with me :D I'd certainly buy from them.

John...

Brick Armory we parted ways after they had numerous issues with providing what they were supposed to, to their customers and our forum members. They are nice guys at heart, but I feel just lack the business sense on how to run a business. They had multiple opportunities to run SS out of town, but did not. After the third issue I had with them getting paid for a gun I sold there.... it was clear.

ShoreShot and RTSP.... These guys just disappeared without even so much as sending me a pm or an email stating their intention.... in turn, they ended up getting at least 3 to 4 months of free publicity on here. They never bothered to tell me why they chose not to contribute and be here. From others I have heard that it was the fact that they were still given criticism here over their practices, and they chose not to hear it. While I do think that vendors should get the benefit of the doubt, especially those with a past track record, I don't think you can buy your way to being teflon ffl... where no one has the right to complain.

The vendor fee for the forum is very minimal in the grand scheme of things... $50 or under / month for FFL/Range. So... I know it is not the money issue, they would be stupid if they thought it was too much. I can almost guarantee that they made at least ten times their investment on a monthly basis. Ie... How many RTSP members did they sell because of the exposure on here? Hell, if one person finds the range on here and goes to rent a gun there..... their $150 bill will 3x cover the cost. Same thing for the exposure.... over a million page views per month... (actually quite a bit higher than that), that is the cheapest, targeted promotion they will get.

I didn't know RTSP left the forum. They got so much hype from this site and not even a thank you very much. Wow

I didn't know RTSP left the forum. They got so much hype from this site and not even a thank you very much. Wow

I was a bit surprised myself when Maks mentioned it....Well now they're packing them in and at a premium too so I guess we're no longer fit in their future plans.Typical.......

I was a bit surprised myself when Maks mentioned it....Well now they're packing them in and at a premium too so I guess we're no longer fit in their future plans.Typical.......

Being tossed into the garbage can like a used rubber! It's a shame that history repeats itself. I think there are so few Range & Store combos in NJ and THAT combined with the remote possibility of being shut-down altogether in this post-Newtown environment, the Ranges are runnin' a muck trying to make back their capital investments in short order. And doing so on the backs on the very folks that are trying to keep them in business. It's a conundrum to be sure..........

There I go being irrepressible again, lol!

Shore Shot hands down!! I have gotten guns from both and the customer service at BA was horrible! They thought they could give a woman the run around! Shore Shot has been and continues to be friendly, helpful and a RO is always present on the range- sometimes more than one! Member for life or until I move out of NJ!

Shore Shot has been and continues to be friendly, helpful and a RO is always present on the range- sometimes more than one!

Wait until you purchase a gun through Davidson's and they try to add extra fees that aren't supposed to be added... then argue that they are right, until you physically show them the invoice on your phone.

I went to both shops last week and here is my opinion from the trip.

Brick Armory and range, Lakewood

Very generic looking shop located in an industrial park. About five guys there buying mags to shoot. Decent selection better than L&H but mostly SW M&P's had a couple of Glocks including two brown 22's for $579, Don't know if that is a good price. Also had a few Beretta's and FNH's in stock. Staff a little pushy but attentive. Told them I was waiting for permits to buy and they keep saying you could pay now and we will hold the gun for you. Keep telling me that that will be gone by tomorrow and this one will be gone today if I don't buy now. I told them they weren't the only shop in town so if they are sold I can check elsewhere and he stopped haggling me.

Shore Shot, Lakewood also in the industrial park.

Worst looking on the outside by far. Looks like the building was coming down and shots were heard from the outside walking in the building. I thought one may come through the wall and hit me. The inside was also generic looking but they had by far the largest selection of handguns and supplies. The place was packed with at 12 people in the store. Some waiting to shoot others to but guns and ammo. Staff was nice but very busy most were working through lunch as we smelled fried chicken waiting to be eaten. Did have time for questions once the other people cleared out. Three people were buying guns and filling out NICS and were told the wait was up to 7-10 days. Customers were visibly upset. Plus here is that they only charge 3 1/2% sales tax on everything so you can save a few bucks with that.

As far as pricing goes Shore Shot had a nice selection of handguns there. How is there pricing compared to other shops? I am still searching for the best prices on a handguns in NJ area without having to drive to far since now it is a two trip transaction because of the NICS wait times.