Sign in to follow this  
papercutninja

New Anti-gun tactic: 2nd Amendment was for Slavery

I've truncated it below for the new tactic to label the 2nd Amendment as racist. One of the most tangental and insane arguments i've heard in a LONG time.

http://truth-out.org...reserve-slavery

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the Framers knew the difference - see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason, and James Madison were totally clear on that . . . and we all should be too.

In the beginning, there were the militias. In the South, they were also called the "slave patrols," and they were regulated by the states.

His first draft for what became the Second Amendment had said: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed, and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country [emphasis mine]: but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service in person."

But Henry, Mason and others wanted southern states to preserve their slave-patrol militias independent of the federal government. So Madison changed the word "country" to the word "state," and redrafted the Second Amendment into today's form:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State [emphasis mine], the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Little did Madison realize that one day in the future weapons-manufacturing corporations, newly defined as "persons" by a Supreme Court some have called dysfunctional, would use his slave patrol militia amendment to protect their "right" to manufacture and sell assault weapons used to murder schoolchildren.

Saw this posted by a friend. Myself and someone else immediately jumped on it with quotes from our founding fathers about why the second amendment was part of the bill of rights.

Make sure you're using cited quotes. I've seen a lot of falsely attributed ones floating around, specifically one by George Washington.

What is ironic is they have it nearly backwards. The intent of GUN CONTROL originally did have to do with racism against blacks...

People can only lie and misrepresent things so much...I hope.

truth

First gun laws were to keep guns away from freed African Americans.