siderman

5.56 mag loaders- ProMag vs Maglula

Timely topic :)

I am currently in the process of stuffing 1200 rounds into mags (a mix of PMags, TD ARC Mags and GI mags) for an upcoming 3 day carbine class (EAG COC2) at the end of this month.

I have a StripLula, a MagLula and 4 of the Pro Mag Loaders (you get one for free when you attend an EAG class). I have had no problem with any of these devices on any of my mags (all versions of PMags including EMag, GI and TD ARC mags).

I use the MagLula for emptying mags only. I find it slow to load with, and hard to find a rhythm when stuffing mags with it. I have not found an effecient way to hold the rounds, mag, and loader while manipulating the lever to make it my go-to device. For stripping rounds out of a magazine, the MagLula can not be beat.

If you have rounds loaded on stripper clips, the StripLula is the way to go. However, with loose rounds, it leaves a bit to be desired. You are essentially loading the mag twice (once by loading the loose rounds into the StripLula, and twice when you load the rounds in the StripLula into the Mag). The rounds are not retained well by the loader without the assist of a stripper clip and they can fall out or become mis-alligned when loading. I find it faster and easier to load mags by hand than with the StripLula if the rounds are not on stripper clips.

The ProMag loader is my first pick for loading loose rounds into mags. It is much faster than the MagLula or StripLula and slightly faster than loading by hand. It is easy to manipulate, very effecient, and makes it easy to count your rounds as you stuff them. Highly recommended.