cesto

9mm purchased, looking for training courses to develop skill

hey guys, i'm a happy owner of a 9m XDM. i'd like to develop proper skills and technique. i've come across Gun for Hire here in north nj. i wanted to know what most board members recommend (if different) for courses that i cant take in the area (morris county if possible).

thanks in advance.

Take a look further down this sub-forum and you'll see a number of people (myself included) have reviewed GunForHire classes. Overall the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

If you've never shot before or are not comfortable with firearms then the NRA Basic Pistol is a good class - the certificate is also useful if applying for Florida CCW.

If you are more experienced then the GFH Urban Pistol 1,2,3 is a great set of classes.

If you want to try force on force scenarios then look to the GFH Simunitions classes.

hth

TheWombat

If you don't mind the drive to Allentown, I highly recommend Joe Riedy, who is a Vickers Shooting Method instructor. I've taken his basic pistol class, and he's an outstanding instructor.

Check here frequently for his next class, which is held a few times per year...

http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/Training.html

I'm in the process of choosing a company to take the NRA Basic Pistol course and looked hard at GFH but they are over an hour drive from me and looking at their site do not have a bunch of different date offerings for it from what I've seen on their website. They seem like a real passionate and knowledgeable group, pricey though. $250 for the Basic Class. (I am sure all you GFH grads will say well worth it and all but other companies I've seen are less expensive for the same course. So it's more a matter of choice.)

Right now I'm leaning toward ShootNJ which is only 20 mins, if that, from me. $198 for the NRA Basic, and means only a quarter tank of gas in my Tundra!